Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineSyle
Kenai Sigh
 User Gallery

Loc: WA
Old age and death
    #6398547 - 12/23/06 01:09 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

I think, that when I am old and withering away, I will be looking forward to death. It will be the next experience! A last trip! Obviously I will be horrified, yet, I feel that it will be intermixed with excitement and anticipation.

I wonder if most elderly people feel that way...?

--------------------
https://kenaisigh.bandcamp.com/ <- Just completed the 2021 RPM challenge for February - An EP in one month (5 songs or 20 minutes). Check it out!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
Re: Old age and death [Re: Syle]
    #6398688 - 12/23/06 04:34 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

When in a state of de·generation, one might think that is the only way to go...

Nice question!

I just got to say; Biological age vs. ellipses round the sun?
... Growing up, vs. growing older?

Just think about the sea-turtles...

:wink:

OfflineSyle
Kenai Sigh
 User Gallery

Re: Old age and death [Re: Gomp]
    #6399372 - 12/23/06 01:40 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Gomp said:
When in a state of de·generation, one might think that is the only way to go...

Nice question!

I just got to say; Biological age vs. ellipses round the sun?
... Growing up, vs. growing older?

Just think about the sea-turtles...

:wink:

isn't it the only the way to go though? that last, necessary step to take? (and i use the word last lightly, because who knows if truly is the last experience to take)

--------------------
https://kenaisigh.bandcamp.com/ <- Just completed the 2021 RPM challenge for February - An EP in one month (5 songs or 20 minutes). Check it out!

Invisiblebadreligion2good
Uncertain
Male

#6399401 - 12/23/06 01:54 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

I happen to live with an 86 year old woman, my paternal grandmother. It's just me and her. She seems to fear death, she seems to be stretching out her life as long as possible, no matter how much suffering that brings her. Shes forever getting less healthy, both mentally and physically, but she pushes on, I believe out of fear of the unknown. It's a sad state to see someone in, and often makes me wonder about death, and life for that matter.

I'm sure there are a variety of ways older people view death. In the U.S. I believe most old people, around where I live at least, fear death, because they fear the judgment they will be facing at their time of death, since most of them are protestant or catholic.

With me, I figure, when i die, if my consciousness does cease, that somehow, again, I will come to be in this universe of infinite possibilities. (assuming it is a universe of infinite possibilities.) Maybe it will take 3 countless aeons, maybe 10 years. I don't know, but if my consciousness arose out of apparent nothingness once, whats to stop it from happening again? If this universe is infinite, then surely I'll be back on some level.

--------------------
All I know is that I dont know.

Row, row, row, you boat, gently down the stream.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, life is but a dream.

InvisibleQbanMoJo
Mr. Brightside

Loc: OutSide
Re: Old age and death [Re: badreligion2good]
    #6399810 - 12/23/06 05:07 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

When you are truly ready and he is ready for you, when you both want to meet, you will. It is your time.

Death is not to be chosen by one but is to be agreed upon. Only when it is agreed upon will it happen, in peace. If we choose to go before our time, for whichever reason, we will not go, die, in peace.

So, until then do your best to fulfill the oath you made to him before your birth, before your chance at another chance to... :heart:

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
Re: Old age and death [Re: QbanMoJo]
    #6400045 - 12/23/06 06:36 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Why do you cite religious ideas as though they are facts?

I think that someone could choose to die quite peacefully, that there is no such thing as "before our time," and that we have made no such oath to any being, real or imaginary.

As far as we know, our lives belong only to us, and it is our choice to live or die.

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
    #6400644 - 12/23/06 10:11 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Developmentally speaking, most octagenarians do not fear death, according to data. As far as I know, there is no info about excited anticipation. One of my closest near-death experiences was in 1960 at age 7 when I was about to undergo a tonsilectomy. They gave me a shot which was probably something of a tranquilizer and wheeled me to the O.R. I remember a pretty nurse smiling at me on the gurney as I lay in the hallway. Then I was wheeled into the operating room and lifted onto the table by my green nylon gowned doctor - the man who delivered me, my brother and 6 of my cousins. They placed a cotton-stuffed juice-strainer over my nose and mouth and told me to breath as they poured crude ethyl ether onto the cotton. I began to scream "I can't breath you shit!" and I remember, as they chuckled, day-glo geometric shapes swirling on a field of blackness before total blackness. My best friend Paul had the same experience during his etherized tonsilectomy.

The Point: stoned curiosity followed by a suffocating terrifying birth-death experience, followed by unconscious oblivion, followed by re-awakening 'resurrection.' Don't want to attribute metaphysical significance to this trip? Then don't. But, I have a feeling that early childhood, late adolescent and adult rites of passage all serve to illustrate what the passage to death can be like. There is clearly ego death, but after numerous late adolescent and adult trips, plus a lifetime of preparation, I am now expecting to leave this life without the kicking and screaming I experienced when I entered it!

It is not mere denial to adopt the attitude that it is all a very bad dream. It is, I am coming to believe, just that, and it will be a blessing to awaken from it.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

InvisibleQbanMoJo
Mr. Brightside

Loc: OutSide
Re: Old age and death [Re: Veritas]
    #6400851 - 12/23/06 11:24 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Veritas said:
Why do you cite religious ideas as though they are facts?

I think that someone could choose to die quite peacefully, that there is no such thing as "before our time," and that we have made no such oath to any being, real or imaginary.

As far as we know, our lives belong only to us, and it is our choice to live or die.

Why do you presume that I speak religiously? Why not ask instead? When I speak biblically I will mention it. What I have written, to those that listen or read, means much more than what is in front of them. How you take it, is YOUR choice, fact or not.

Also, religion is not as bad as you think, true religion at least. :heart:

InvisibleAlteredAgain
Visual Alchemist
 User Gallery

Loc: Solar Circuit
    #6400913 - 12/23/06 11:57 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

my religion has no name, no object of worship, no scripture, no laws.

i incorporate techniques, but no path is the way, only one way.

according to my religion, i am god, you are god, this is god, and that is god. :mushroom2:

when i grow old and face death straight in the eye, i hope that my religion will have formed a launch pad from which i can welcome the flight into the abyss, rather than cling to what is all going to be gone forever upon departure.

:heart:

:earth: :yinyang: :shineon:

--------------------

Offlineck10n3
Imagine
Male

Loc: Here, now.
    #6400926 - 12/24/06 12:03 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

QbanMoJo said:
Also, religion is not as bad as you think, true religion at least. :heart:

True religion is spirituality. No need for religion, it is just an organization and compounding of thought. To each his own.

But I get your drift, and I agree if there were such a true religion, undiluted and pure.

--------------------
"You must be the change you want to see in the world." - The trip of a Life Time.

Indra's Net - There is an endless net of threads throughout the universe. The horizontal threads are in space. The vertical threads in time. At every crossing of threads there is an individual. And every individual is a crystal bead. The great light of absolute being illuminates and penetrates every crystal being, And every crystal being reflects not only the light from every other crystal in the net, But also every reflection of every reflection throughout the universe.

-cK

OfflineSyle
Kenai Sigh
 User Gallery

Re: Old age and death [Re: AlteredAgain]
    #6401006 - 12/24/06 12:53 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

AlteredAgain said:
my religion has no name, no object of worship, no scripture, no laws.

i incorporate techniques, but no path is the way, only one way.

according to my religion, i am god, you are god, this is god, and that is god. :mushroom2:

when i grow old and face death straight in the eye, i hope that my religion will have formed a launch pad from which i can welcome the flight into the abyss, rather than cling to what is all going to be gone forever upon departure.

:heart:

:earth: :yinyang: :shineon:

damn't AA, why do you have to be so good  :smile:

--------------------

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
    #6401525 - 12/24/06 09:43 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Statements about "meeting him," oaths we supposedly made to "him," and not dying peacefully when you choose to go "before your time" are all religiously-oriented, whether they refer to Bible verses or not.

Perhaps you are referring to some other "him," could be Regis Philbin, for all I know, but I doubt that you are referring to any "him" other than your version of God/Good.  Worshipping God is religious, and stating your beliefs as though they are fact is a common practice among those who practice religion. So is this statement (or some version thereof): 

What I have written, to those that listen or read, means much more than what is in front of them.

Yes, of course, if I misunderstand your words, and do not take them for the pearls of wisdom you believe they are, it must be because I am incapable of listening and reading.  :rolleyes:

I do not believe that religion is the problem.  Religion is neutral, however many misguided ideas men may associate with it.  The problem is in the practitioners. 

Few (if any) religious devotees seem capable of(interested in?) viewing their experience from outside the guesswork of their belief system.  This lack of perspective, frequently coupled with extreme hypocrisy, leaves them locked in an endless loop of trying to be good, believing that they are not good, and putting other people down/attempting to gain power over others to make themselves feel better.  Certainly this loop occurs in non-religious people as well, but if religion cannot offer a solution to the human dilemma of neurotic behavior, of creating misery for oneself and those around you, why bother with it?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder