Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSurReality
PsychAdemic
Male User Gallery
Loc: Colorado, USA Flag
Glowing Growing Shrooms
    #6395205 - 12/21/06 08:45 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

ive been thinkin of trying to grow some glow in the dark type shrooms. but the only spores iv come across are these ugly Panellus stipticus : Luminescent Panellus

ive come across some pictures of pretty cool glowing mushrooms, but i couldnt find the spores for sale. does anyone have any suggestions?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSurReality
PsychAdemic
Male User Gallery
Re: Glowing Growing Shrooms [Re: SurReality]
    #6395426 - 12/21/06 10:00 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

i went back to where i saw the other glowing mushies and anything thats in the 'Mycena' genus would be great... but maybe its too rare or something..?

--------------------
ProDOPEFiend Diary: (my public diary)

PodCast

Offlinejlocke85
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: MI
    #6396061 - 12/22/06 05:33 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Mycena is a large, very common genus of mushrooms. For the most part, however, they are only a few centimeters in diameter. According to wikipedia, there are 33 (out of about 500) species of Mycena known for bioluminescence.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Glowing Growing Shrooms [Re: jlocke85]
    #6396319 - 12/22/06 08:48 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Pan stips are cool for the glowing mycelium, not the fruits. I used to always keep a couple of quarts by the bedstand as a night light. It's fun to wake up in the middle of the night in a dark room and see the glowing jars. With two of them, it's enough to read a clock by. They'll glow like that for a couple of months in the quart jars. Petri dishes are nice too. If you have stacks of petris with a few pan stips stuck in, you can see the glowing from the middle of the stack. Perhaps I'm just easily entertained, but I think it's pretty neat to wake up in a totally dark room, then look around and see glowing mycelium.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineSurReality
PsychAdemic
Male User Gallery
Re: Glowing Growing Shrooms [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6397114 - 12/22/06 02:07 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Pan stips are cool for the glowing mycelium, not the fruits. I used to always keep a couple of quarts by the bedstand as a night light. It's fun to wake up in the middle of the night in a dark room and see the glowing jars. With two of them, it's enough to read a clock by. They'll glow like that for a couple of months in the quart jars. Petri dishes are nice too. If you have stacks of petris with a few pan stips stuck in, you can see the glowing from the middle of the stack. Perhaps I'm just easily entertained, but I think it's pretty neat to wake up in a totally dark room, then look around and see glowing mycelium.
RR

haha maybe we're both easily entertained... ya i was hoping to find a strain that had good glowing fruits, but since that doesnt seem to be accessible then i guess ill go with the pan stips, though if the temperature drops in my room then the mycelium should fruit (right?) so should i just pick the fruits off? haha i bet itd be awesome if i could find some sort of tall aquarium w/o depth (maybe like wut ppl put ant farms in?)

--------------------
ProDOPEFiend Diary: (my public diary)

PodCast

Invisiblephalcon005

#6397757 - 12/22/06 07:01 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

I'm with you on the novelty of the glowing mycelium and grain jars. I got a culture wedge of pan stipticus a few months ago and I still keep a couple of plates in the bathroom. When you wake up in the middle of the night to take a leak you're eyes are well dialated and the glow is impressive. I've toyed with grain jars as well, and nothing beat the first night I put a jar on my night stand. I was like a little kid popping my head over there often to look at it.

That being said, I'll chime in with Blue Helix's advice since he hasn't surfaced yet. He swears to me that the mycelium isn't very exciting compared to the pins. The pins and fruitbodies of panellus stipticus can be seen in less that absolute darkness, whereas the mycelium and grain jars take a dark room and some time to let you eyes adjust to it.

If you are interested in applying this somewhat artistically you can get some inspiration from the Bioglyphs project. These things simply amaze me. I've been toying with the idea of making a mural such as those, but I often get distracted.

Oh, and you can order Panellus stipticus from sporeworks. They are studs, so I would highly encourage you to go that route if you are wanting to grab a culture.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Glowing Growing Shrooms [Re: phalcon005]
    #6398248 - 12/22/06 10:05 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

I've fruited pan stips on hardwood/sawdust. They're underimpressive actually. I didn't find the fruits much brighter than the mycelium. They're a cool yellow color in normal light, and barely glow at all at night. They're also very small. Around 1/4 to 1/2 inch tall.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineWorkmanV
1999 Spore War Veteran
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon, USA
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Glowing Growing Shrooms [Re: phalcon005]
    #6399169 - 12/23/06 12:05 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

In my experience the young pins glow the best but less so as the mushrooms mature. Even deformed blobs of pinning tissue glows nicely. The glowing is oxygen dependent so allowing good air exchange gives the brightest effect. Submerged liquid culture won't glow but the mycelial mat on the surface will.

I've been looking for other species that are larger and glow brighter. I am hopeful to get an Australian Ghost Fungus this spring which looks exactly like an oyster mushroom. I was supposed to get a specimen last spring but a drought foiled my plans. Cross your fingers.

--------------------
Research funded by the patrons of
The Spore Works
Exotic Spore Supply

My Instagram
Reinvesting 25% of Sales Towards Basic Research and Species Identification :amanitajar:

Invisiblephalcon005

Re: Glowing Growing Shrooms [Re: Workman]
    #6399404 - 12/23/06 01:56 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Another note on the oxygen dependency, I was optimistic that increasing air flow would yield a visibly brighter bioluminescence. To toy with the idea I sat in my darkened bathroom with a handful of plates, and after my eyes adjusted I opened one up and blew on it. I was hoping to see an increase in flourescence but never noticed any visible change from the blown on plate verses one that had been parafilmed for several weeks.

I'm hoping if you found such a culture Workman you would offer it for sale, I know for one I would be first in line to put in an order. The artistic possibilities are quite varied, but something with a more potent glow would greatly help in that respect.

OfflineAmericaOnLSD
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA
    #6400372 - 12/23/06 08:24 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

I bought a kit with grain bag and small culture syringe from this sponser several weeks ago. I used about half the culture to inoculate the bag and saved the rest. I put a drop on a PDA agar plate, and mycelium slowly grew on the plate. In a very dark room, and after my eyes get used to the dark for a few minutes, its not too difficult to see the plate glowing. It has a blue-green color. I could swear I see the intensity varying, kind of like a glowing coal varies when air blows through it, but maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me. The grain bag is colonizing but does not appear to glow at all (maybe not enough oxygen gets through the filter patch). I am presently trying to spawn the agar to popcorn.

--------------------
See AmericaOnLSD!

Invisiblethallus
Stranger thanyou

Loc: Hiding in Plain Sight
Re: Glowing Growing Shrooms [Re: AmericaOnLSD]
    #6402959 - 12/27/06 06:05 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

The Australian Ghost Fungus is very freaky the first time you see it and before you know that some fungi can glow. Even after you know its still a Little strange. My wife says there is a super bright fungi in Brazil but she does not know the name. I'm getting some Panellus stipticus from spore works should be fun.

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Glowing Growing Shrooms [Re: thallus]
    #6405379 - 12/28/06 03:00 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

that sounds like a lot of fun - can that ghost fungus be cultivated? if so, any chance you could try to clone one from the wild and send me a wedge?  :wink: :tongue: :smile: :wink: :tongue: :crazy2: :thumbup:

merry christmas :heartpump:

--------------------
buh

OfflineHouse
Stranger
Re: Glowing Growing Shrooms [Re: shirley knott]
    #6405912 - 12/28/06 05:48 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Are any of these bioluminescent species edible? I'm curious on how they would taste.

InvisibleCracka_X
Spiritual Dirt Worshipper
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Swamp
Re: Glowing Growing Shrooms [Re: House]
    #6408625 - 12/29/06 04:25 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

House said:
Are any of these bioluminescent species edible? I'm curious on how they would taste.

There's the Jack-O-Lantern(Omphalotus olearius) mushroom but it's very poisonous.

--------------------
The best way to live
is to be like water
For water benefits all things
and goes against none of them
It provides for all people
and even cleanses those places
a man is loath to go
In this way it is just like Tao        ~Daodejing

Invisiblethallus
Stranger thanyou

Loc: Hiding in Plain Sight
Re: Glowing Growing Shrooms [Re: Cracka_X]
    #6459224 - 01/14/07 04:10 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

OfflineWorkmanV
1999 Spore War Veteran
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon, USA
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Glowing Growing Shrooms [Re: shirley knott]
    #8008765 - 02/11/08 01:05 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Well, it took a long time but I finally acquired a dried sample of the ghost fungus from Australia. I was able to isolate out some white mycelium that ages orange in irregular patches. The mycelium doesn't glow at all which is a bit dissapointing. Because of the lack of mycelial glowing I wasn't convinced I had even isolated the correct stuff. Pins spontaneously grew invitro on woodchips in a quart jar after a prolonged cold shock. Suprisingly, the pins also did not glow. Only after the pins matured into mushrooms did the glowing begin and it is fairly impressive. The glowing seems to be only be coming from the gills but is intense enough to illuminate the entire mushroom.

Now that I am certain that I have isolated a glowing mushroom and the mycelium is very distinct, things should move fairly quickly. I expect cultures to be available in April. This is a toxic species (not deadly) and resembles oyster mushrooms so there is a risk of accidental ingestion. I'll have to figure out a way to minimize this risk.

I'll start a new thread with images and more details later this week. Woooooooo!

--------------------
Research funded by the patrons of
The Spore Works
Exotic Spore Supply

My Instagram
Reinvesting 25% of Sales Towards Basic Research and Species Identification :amanitajar:

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Re: Glowing Growing Shrooms [Re: Workman]
    #8009802 - 02/11/08 05:41 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

I am not sure its a good idea to release this all over the world. In most places, people eat things that look like oyster mushrooms and have white spores.

Might be fine though, it probably wouldn't catch on too much in the wild.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags