Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinefiXXXer
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Tub-in-Tub Incubator problem
    #6382803 - 12/18/06 11:12 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

I guess this isn't so-much of a problem as it is a bother.

I have a tub-in-tub incubator setup with a 200-watt water heater in the bottom tub. As is common, the water heater was not doing a very good job, so I bought an air pump, and some air stones, to keep the water moving about (to make sure that the heater is heating all of the water, and not just one spot).

All went well, until I heard a big air bubble coming out from under the second tub. What is happening is that the air bubbles in the first tub are building up under the second tub. This continues to happen, until a certain point is reaching, in which the bubbles tilt the second tub, which releases the built-up bubbles.

My only problem with this is that it is loud, and happens every 30-seconds to 1-minute. Can anyone recommend a way to get around this? I have my second tub held down with two 20-pound weights and two 5-pound weights.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinexburn
V card
Re: Tub-in-Tub Incubator problem [Re: fiXXXer]
    #6382815 - 12/18/06 11:16 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

i have never had to use a air bubbler, possibly buy a nicer water heater from petsmart. Thats usually what i do, drop 20-30 dollars on a good heater that will last you a lon long time

--------------------
Check out the official MushroomWiki at http://www.mushroomwiki.com. Stop by and contribute.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Tub-in-Tub Incubator problem [Re: xburn]
    #6382821 - 12/18/06 11:18 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Or, you could forget the whole mess and incubate on a shelf at normal room temperature. Just make sure your room is 75F or so and you'll be fine with far less worries.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineHypercube
80 SRM
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #6382822 - 12/18/06 11:19 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

If you need to circulate the water, use a water pump, not an air pump.

But for the expense of a water pump, I would rather just trade someone like me for his 200W ebo-jager that works and is reliable. :wink:

--------------------

Offlineblueshroprachaun
Student Of The Spore 2y2l
 User Gallery

#6382837 - 12/18/06 11:23 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

That's not good, that could get annoying pretty fast. What are you using to keep the first tub seperated from the second tub? I would reccomend leaving more air space from your water level and the bottom of your second tub.

--------------------
"All things are poison and nothing is without poison, only the dose permits something not to be poisonous." - Paracelsus,  the father of toxicology

OfflinefiXXXer
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Tub-in-Tub Incubator problem [Re: Hypercube]
    #6382848 - 12/18/06 11:26 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

xburn: Actually, I did get a nice 200-watt water heater, though from petco - it cost me $30 or $40 (I am not good with my money).

Roger: Sadly, that will not work for me. While I do have enough room, my grow room also happens to be my server room (a smoothwall firewall and a mail/web/sql/anti-spam server/file). I can not incubate elsewhere because this has to be stealth.

Hypercube: I do not know why I didn't think of that! I guess I will be bringing the air pump back, and getting a water pump.

Well, I guess that sums it up - get a water pump! I am such a dolt.

Offlinehabitat0789
Insomniac
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #6382867 - 12/18/06 11:33 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

drill a small hole in the first tub above the water line

--------------------

ilove my woods...

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
    #6383487 - 12/18/06 02:47 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Checkout any thrift store for a small counter top fountain.
(usually under $5)
They have a little recirculating pump in them.
Take it out & use in the bottom tub.

--------------------

Offlinetihkalpihkal
captain insano
Male User Gallery

Loc: The basement of the alamo
Re: Tub-in-Tub Incubator problem [Re: agar]
    #6383549 - 12/18/06 03:07 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

i would put 4 empty jars in the corners of the water tub and place the other tub ontop of those for stability. :thumbup:

--------------------
Was the lockness monster in fact Jack the Ripper?

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

Re: Tub-in-Tub Incubator problem [Re: tihkalpihkal]
    #6383633 - 12/18/06 03:40 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

tihkalpihkal said:
i would put 4 empty jars in the corners of the water tub and place the other tub ontop of those for stability. :thumbup:

I remember doing that just to keep the top tub from coming in contact with the heater,I would say ditch the tit altogether and just incubate them at room temp on a high shelf where it is warmer

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #6387934 - 12/19/06 08:01 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Water pump

Incubator set up.

1. First thing get your bottom tub and put in your heater. I also add a water pump to mix the water that way it heats up much more evenly but it isn?t a necessary item. I got the tape from a boat shop and it has been working for some time. Good stuff for underwater.

2. Next put something (I used tall half pints) in each corner of the tub. This will keep the heater and pump safe from being smashed if I put in to many jars or do something stupid.

3. Now be sure to set the heater before you put on the top tub. I attach the top tub with zip ties cause the top tub will want to float.

4. Add the water. I like to add as much water as I can before it starts to spill out.

5. If you use the heaters with the external controls set them now to get ready for the jars. Mine use a dial and a sensor that gives the temp inside the chamber rather then the water. It also has a metal bulb rather then a glass one.

6. Finished

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

InvisibleMajorDick
notbeingadick
Male User Gallery

Loc: Westchestertonfieldville,... Flag
    #6388706 - 12/19/06 11:46 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

fiXXXer said:
Sadly, that will not work for me. While I do have enough room, my grow room also happens to be my server room (a smoothwall firewall and a mail/web/sql/anti-spam server/file). I can not incubate elsewhere because this has to be stealth.

You can hide a couple of big as tubs, but ya can't find a nice warm hide-away for the jars amongst all that equipment?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds