Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleveggieM

Rare Velvet Underground record goes for $178,431
    #6350555 - 12/09/06 10:37 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

If you are a Lou Reed fan, you may find this of interest...

Rare Velvet Underground rock record goes for $178,431 on EBay
Montrealer bought album and two others for 75 cents in 2002
canada.com

MONTREAL - Warren Hill won't be sad to part with his rare copy of the Velvet Underground's debut album -- and it's not just because he could make hundreds of thousands of dollars selling it.

"I don't want it," he chuckled in an interview at his tiny, six-month old record store located off a back alley. "Not enough to need it."

Hill's not a big Velvet Underground fan.

MONTREAL - Warren Hill won't be sad to part with his rare copy of the Velvet Underground's debut album -- and it's not just because he could make hundreds of thousands of dollars selling it.

"I don't want it," he chuckled in an interview at his tiny, six-month old record store located off a back alley. "Not enough to need it."

Hill's not a big Velvet Underground fan.

"I like a lot of pre-war gospel and blues music so that's more what I'm interested in, with a little bit of post-war gospel quartets and early R & B."

He has been the target of a media manhunt since the brittle album he bought out of curiosity in 2002 was posted on the Internet auction site EBay and six-digit bids started rolling in.

Hill smiles when asked about all the attention -- and the money being offered for the fragile 1967 acetate pressing from the experimental rock band that counted Lou Reed and John Cale among its members.

He says it hasn't sunk in yet.

"I'm going to wait until the auction actually ends before I get up," he said. "I don't think anything very big's going to happen with it."

Hill has seen the bids, which hit around $178,201 late Friday, about six hours before the auction ended. But he's not taking any big payday for granted.

"If you took a look at the bidding on the Internet, there have been a number of rogue bidders out there that have just been bidding as a joke," he pointed out.

When the auction closed, the highest of 253 bids was $178,431.51 Cdn. offered by someone from Oakland, Calif. The validity of the bid couldn't be immediately confirmed.

Hill, a Vancouver native who settled in Montreal five years ago, went to New York to see a concert in 2002.

Browsing through some street bins, he came across The Velvet Underground and Nico along with a Leadbelly album and a water-damaged copy of the first Modern Lovers LP. He paid 75 cents for all three.

Hill didn't think much about the Velvet Underground LP after he bought it. "It took about a year before I did enough research to figure out exactly what it was."

Hill played it for a friend who knew more about the band and he said he didn't think the recording had ever been bootlegged.

Hill's record is currently with one of the American stores that organized the online auction.

"It's not in great condition but I mean, again, it's over 40 years old," Hill said of the LP. "It's in relatively good condition considering the age and fragility of acetate material."

Released in March 1967, The Velvet Underground and Nico has a cover designed by pop artist and band mentor Andy Warhol.

It reportedly sold less than 50,000 copies after its first release but Rolling Stone magazine has since named it the 13th-greatest rock album of all time.

Songs include such classics as Heroin, Venus in Furs, Femme Fatale and I'll Be Your Mirror, most written by Lou Reed. But some of the versions on Hill's record are different from the songs released on the final cut.

"They re-recorded three songs at a later date at a studio in Los Angeles," Hill explained. "Then they remixed the album from that recording."

" "Heroin" is different, "Waiting for the Man" is different and I know "European Son" is a different edit," he said. "It's not vastly different stuff to the average listener, maybe to somebody who's a little bit more of a hardcore Velvet Underground fan.

"It might be a little bit more noticeable -- different feelings to the songs as far as tempo and certain guitar parts and certain lyrical phrases are changed and stuff like that."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinefung_us_among_us
Male User Gallery

Loc: Central Oregon Flag
Re: Rare Velvet Underground record goes for $178,431 [Re: veggie]
    #6351192 - 12/09/06 02:24 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

that's incredible. how lucky to get that AND leadbelly for so cheap. i would have sold it too but it'd be nice to hang onto for awhile.

--------------------
:feelsgoodman::dancingshroom::dancingshroom::dancingshroom::ahahaha::dancingshroom::dancingshroom::dancingshroom::feelsgoodman:

OfflineTheCow
Stranger

Re: Rare Velvet Underground record goes for $178,431 [Re: fung_us_among_us]
    #6352917 - 12/10/06 12:08 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Leadbelly records are worth money? I picked one up at a garage sale a few years back, awesome record but I figured it wasnt worth anything. I dont think its older then the 60's though as its a 33rpm

Offlinesnoot
look alive ∞
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 45º parallel Flag
Re: Rare Velvet Underground record goes for $178,431 [Re: TheCow]
    #6352933 - 12/10/06 12:14 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

what makes it so rare,

--------------------

I am incapable of conceiving infinity, and yet I do not accept finity.
- Simone de Beauvoir -

Offlinemr_kite
The Watcher
Male

Loc: shambhala
Re: Rare Velvet Underground record goes for $178,431 [Re: snoot]
    #6354189 - 12/10/06 01:57 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Andy Warhol allegedly ejaculated individually on the first 100 copies pressed. Some sort of weird art school thing, apparently.

--------------------
let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of what you really love

Offlinefung_us_among_us
Male User Gallery

Loc: Central Oregon Flag
Re: Rare Velvet Underground record goes for $178,431 [Re: mr_kite]
    #6356198 - 12/10/06 10:54 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

which leadbelly record is it? PM me i might want to buy it, i've been looking for some leadbelly 33's.

--------------------
:feelsgoodman::dancingshroom::dancingshroom::dancingshroom::ahahaha::dancingshroom::dancingshroom::dancingshroom::feelsgoodman:

OfflineTheCow
Stranger

Re: Rare Velvet Underground record goes for $178,431 [Re: fung_us_among_us]
    #6356253 - 12/10/06 11:11 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Its just sort of a compilation of a lot of his stuff. Its a 4 record set, pretty good stuff. Ive been trying to find some Skip James records for a while. Oh and im not selling the Leadbelly set unless it happens to be worth actual money.

OfflineAuroricDistortions
~~~~~~~
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Polar Springs
Re: Rare Velvet Underground record goes for $178,431 [Re: veggie]
    #6356300 - 12/10/06 11:30 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

I dig Velvet Un. but I'll just get mines off the internet.  That's one crazy fucking profit margin!  :eek:

--------------------

OfflineDadeMurphy
H4x0r

Re: Rare Velvet Underground record goes for $178,431 [Re: AuroricDistortions]
    #6363895 - 12/12/06 09:25 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

I think this turned out to be a hoax...ie. the buyer was not ligit.

--------------------
--------------------------------------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale