Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineAmericaOnLSD
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA
Water-Logged Blue Oyster Log
    #6341478 - 12/06/06 05:27 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

I bought a blue oyster mushroom log which I have been keeping moist for 3 weeks but still showed no signs of fruiting. When I lifted the log, I noticed it is waterlogged. Apparently every time I have been misting the water has been going into the "X" holes I cut in the bag and has accumulated at the bottom. I found some green mold growing at the very bottom of the bag.

I removed the log from the bag and cut off the green mold. Is there a way I can save this log and get it to produce mushrooms? The log is noticably heavy due to being very moist, but there is still plenty of white mycelium growing on the rest of the log.

--------------------
See AmericaOnLSD!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblephalcon005

Re: Water-Logged Blue Oyster Log [Re: AmericaOnLSD]
    #6341967 - 12/06/06 07:14 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

When I had my first few grows I saw some green mold and tried to cut it off. Now that I think back I can't think of a time whenever it didn't grow back in that area and it resulted in me having to do a deep cleaning in my fruiting chamber. I hate to break it to you but I would probably take what you can from this run, learn from your mistakes and tackle it again.

If you've got water standing anywhere in the bag you're asking for problems. I would cut several "X" holes in the bottom of the bag as well as the sides so that any excess water can drain out. For my oyster logs I do this and most of the excess water has bled out in 24-48 hours, when I have a towel under the bag to catch the moisture. After that point I've not had any problems, and haven't seen green mold in a while.

InvisibleCorporal Kielbasa

Re: Water-Logged Blue Oyster Log [Re: phalcon005]
    #6342166 - 12/06/06 08:01 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Asking for problems unless its a mushroom metabloite used to ward off contamination.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Water-Logged Blue Oyster Log [Re: Corporal Kielbasa]
    #6342563 - 12/06/06 10:03 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

The green mold is why it wasn't fruiting, not being too wet. Is it a straw log? If so, a three foot long one can weigh fifty pounds or more. Normally, a straw log should colonize fully in ten days to two weeks, then begin fruiting immediately. You have to cut the plastic off though. Very few strains will fruit through the gas exchange holes. If you purchased the log, I'd ask for a refund/replacement if they built and inoculated it.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinenewearthmushroom
apologist
Male User Gallery

Loc: ky
    #6342623 - 12/06/06 10:16 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

well it is quite strange for oysters not to fruit. I grow blue oysters and they alway fruit before 20 days from inoculation. I don't know who you bought it from but i think you got ripped... Maby put it outside if you cant get anything off it and hope for the best in the spring...

OfflineAmericaOnLSD
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Water-Logged Blue Oyster Log [Re: newearthmushroom]
    #6343395 - 12/07/06 04:46 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

It was a small sawdust log. I'm pretty sure it was my fault for getting it too wet, given that the bottom part ended up sopping wet, so I don't think I should complain to the vendor. I don't have a fruiting chamber - it just sits on the kitchen counter in its bag and humidity tent.

I took it out of the bag to dry and once it is completely dry I will moisten it and put it in another bag and try again since I don't really have anything to lose at this point.

--------------------
See AmericaOnLSD!

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #6344662 - 12/07/06 01:47 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Kitchens usually have fruits(molds) out on the counter and bacteria in the sink drain. Find another room away from those contaminants. I wouldn't try to open it in your house with green molds. That will release all those spores, dooming future tries. If it's still warm enough outside, stick it there. Most oysters will still fruit in the 40's, except for the pink ones.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild Blue Yawnder
Re: Water-Logged Blue Oyster Log [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6345126 - 12/07/06 04:52 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

I'd take it outside to be used for a plot myself. It will still produce mushrooms. You can always bury the log along with some hardwood mulch or sawdust to expand the culture and size of the plot. Don't bury it completely. Leave the top of the log exposed, even with the ground or a bit higher. If it doesn't produce fruitbodies because of the cold, it certainly will when spring comes along. Good luck.

Edited by Hotnuts (12/07/06 04:53 PM)

OfflineAmericaOnLSD
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#6411557 - 12/30/06 08:34 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Well I let the blue oyster log (which I previously removed all signs of mold from, even cutting a ways into the wood substrate) dry for about 2 weeks wrapped in paper towels. After it was completely dry, I placed it in a ziplock bag and slowly started adding dilute hydrogen peroxide (3% diluted 1:10 so 0.3%), a little each day, while watching the moisture level of the log. After a few days I got what appeared to be a reasonable moisture level (damp but not soaking wet or anything), and no sign of any mold. However, after 10 days, the remaining mycelium had not resumed growing. Much of the log is bare because I scraped it good to be sure I got rid of any mold spores on the surface. But there was white mycelium which should have resumed growing, I would think. I would not have been surprised to have contamination again, but I was surprised that the mycelium is apparently dead.

Four days ago I took a couple drops of liquid culture from another Blue Oyster grow I am doing and dropped them on the log. This has now started to grow noticeably.

So how did I kill the previous mycelium? I thought even if dried out it was still alive. Was it the peroxide solution?

--------------------
See AmericaOnLSD!

#6413006 - 12/31/06 09:46 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Am I ghetto for thinking a little mold on logs doesn't matter?

OfflineAmericaOnLSD
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#6413858 - 12/31/06 03:29 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Here is part of the instructions from a commercial Shiitake mushroom kit intended for amateurs. True this is for Shiitake and not Oyster mushrooms, but either way this would scare me:
Quote:

Once the mushrooms start to develop and form small caps, partially open the top of the sleeve to allow more air flow and a little drying. The mushrooms may automatically open the top wider as they grow. If green areas appear on the surface, just gently scrape them off.

If I do end up getting any oysters from that log I doubt I will eat them - but would use their spores and/or clone them.

--------------------
See AmericaOnLSD!

OfflineLentinulaEdodes
Edible Warrior
 User Gallery

#6413903 - 12/31/06 03:50 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

^^Why wouldn't you eat them?

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Re: Water-Logged Blue Oyster Log [Re: LentinulaEdodes]
    #6413965 - 12/31/06 04:18 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

If the mushrooms don't show any signs of bacterium, don't worry with not eating them. Go for it.

Edited by Hotnuts (12/31/06 04:19 PM)

OfflineLentinulaEdodes
Edible Warrior
 User Gallery

Re: Water-Logged Blue Oyster Log [Re: Hotnuts]
    #6413985 - 12/31/06 04:25 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

^^Agreed.

#6414020 - 12/31/06 04:34 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah if you got weird dark blotches and mold growing on the fuit don't eat them. But if they look clean and healthy, eat them!

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #6414248 - 12/31/06 06:03 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

i often wondered about that.

sure, the advice for any newb has always gotta be 'chuck it', but that's largely cos they wouldn't be able to idntify a harmless green trich or cobweb from a potentially deadly penicillium or something like that (forgive me for errors, i'm winging this, i'm no contam expert!) ..... but is there any validity at all in concerns springing from the fact that mycelia channel nutrients from a wide volume of substrate? is a substrate also colonised by a benign 'contaminant' gonna have anything nasty in it that could be drawn up?

--------------------
buh

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Re: Water-Logged Blue Oyster Log [Re: shirley knott]
    #6414434 - 12/31/06 07:42 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

The only type of contaminate that i'm aware could be transfered from the substrate to the fruitbody is vertcillium, a fungus. And i'm not even 100% sure it's transfered through hyphae to the fruitbody. It's a rather unknown and not-so studied fungus until the past few years. It's even said that this fungus COULD be transfered to the human body from a mushroom fruitbody, as most reports claim the fungus enters the human body from fruit and vegetables. I've read pages on the fungus from top organizations and they don't even have any sound information on it as of yet.

Edited by Hotnuts (12/31/06 07:51 PM)

OfflineLentinulaEdodes
Edible Warrior
 User Gallery

Re: Water-Logged Blue Oyster Log [Re: Hotnuts]
    #6414595 - 12/31/06 09:22 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

^^I am very interested in this as I read an article somewhere about PE's high infection rate with vertcillium and the affect on humans. I have eaten mushrooms infected with it before with absolutely no ill effects at all. Interesting indeed...

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

#6414757 - 12/31/06 11:45 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Right, PE and the "super strain" of Koh Samui seem to be susceptible to it.

Although i've seen numerous strains acquire it also. It's usually from stagnant air and water.

Edited by Hotnuts (01/01/07 12:52 PM)

OfflineAmericaOnLSD
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#6430651 - 01/06/07 10:34 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

It contaminated (bad smell). I'm having better luck so far with a pre-sterilized bag and Oyster mushroom LC from a Shroomery vendor. Looks like this will be ready to fruit in a week.

--------------------
See AmericaOnLSD!

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck