Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDismemberID
Stranger
Vermiculite or Perlite?
    #633989 - 05/17/02 05:56 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

When searching for vermiculite, I was told that it is no longer in production and that perlite should suit my needs. True or not, I don't know. The real question I am wondering about is the importance of vermiculite. If I'm understanding everything right, it is just a porous material to hold moisture and a food coating. SO, would perlite be a viable substitute for substrate material with BRF?

Much thanks in advance, this is a great forum

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblepsilosinner
Sinner
Male

Loc: Follow the yellow brick r...
Re: Vermiculite or Perlite? [Re: DismemberID]
    #633995 - 05/17/02 06:03 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

vermiculite can be found at a walmart/kmart kinda store
verm is used in different ways - protection layer to ward off contams and also in the substrate
perlite is only used in the bottom of the container as a humidity raising agent - that's it and only it

--------------------
"I don't like people who take drugs... Customs men for example."
- Mick Miller -

OfflineFarmerD
journeyman
 User Gallery

Loc: US OF A BABY!!!!!!
    #633996 - 05/17/02 06:04 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Hello,The answer to your question is no. You can NOT substitute perlite for vermiculte in the PF tek or any BRF tek. Vermiculite, is still around in my neighborhood. Go to a local nursery, or garden store and ask the sales person. I think it is being produced still. My plant nursery has bags full.Oh yes, you could purchase vermiculite online for very cheap if you must. Because vermiculite is very important in the BRF teks.Perlite is used for humidifacation while cakes are in a terrarium, because it olds so much water.Hope that helps

--------------------
None of these statements are to be taken seriously. FarmerD is a fictional character, and so are the things he posts.

"He who reaches for the stars often stumble on a simple straw."
Blue Fairy Supplies for all your shrooming needs!
Special thanks to MushroomMadness for great deals!

OfflineUHID
enthusiast
Loc: IL
    #634454 - 05/17/02 12:55 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

vermiculite "going off the market" was a stupid myth - you can find it just about anywhere you can find other garden/soil additives. if you can't find it, try Discount Hydro.

anyway, regarding substituting perlite for vermiculite, don't completely count it out. folks tend to think that things can only be done one way, probably because of TEKs and such. just recently, however, i read a post from a cultivator that said he uses perlite in his substrate as well as mixed with peat for his casing layer. if i can find that post, i'll redirect you to it...

i haven't tried it, myself, but i suspect the nay-sayers haven't tried it, either...

take care! stay safe...
-bizarro

OfflineUHID
enthusiast
Loc: IL
Re: Vermiculite or Perlite? [Re: UHID]
    #634471 - 05/17/02 01:09 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

found that post. it's in a thread in the advanced forum here

In reply to:

I have no trouble using a straight peat:perlite casing without lime. Been doing it for as long as i can remember. Perlite doesn't dry up your casing. It is not the moisture holding component for me. Peat is. Perlite adds porespace(air). Also use it in substrate mixtures with NO PROBLEMS.

take care! stay safe....
-bizarro

OfflineSystemOfAClown
Stranger
Male
Loc: Greenbelt, Maryland
    #5921562 - 08/01/06 11:26 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Perlite is used for humidifacation while cakes are in a terrarium, because it olds so much water.Hope that helps

I'm on the verge on having cakes being place in a terrarium and cannot get ahold of Vermiculite, so are you saying that I SHOULD use Permlite or use Vermiculite? SOrry I'm totally new so excuse my ignorance lol.

--------------------
"Crack pipes, Needles, PCP and fast cars. Kinda mix really well in a dead movie star. If I feel like talking, I never be wrong. If I feel like walking you, you best come along. I close my windows crank the heat up high. Til my palms are wet and my tongue is dry. I'm looking for a Mother that will get me high. Just a stupid motherfucker, If I die, I DIE." System Of A Down - "Stealing Society" (Hypnotize)

InvisibleAtheist
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA
Re: Vermiculite or Perlite? [Re: SystemOfAClown]
    #5921631 - 08/01/06 11:51 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

#634471 - 05/17/02 02:09 PM

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

Re: Vermiculite or Perlite? [Re: Atheist]
    #5922929 - 08/01/06 07:40 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

I don't know where everyone who keeps answering these questions lives but where I live vermiculite just DOESN'T EXIST no matter how many places you go to or how may people you ask.I asked at home depot,kmart,nursery's garden centers and on and on ad nauseam....If you really want to waste you time growing only a few shrooms than order it online.Even a giant bag of it weighs nothing so shipping wont cost you anymore than driving all over tarnation getting useless answers and puzzled looks from idiot employees at all those stores.I know it is downright blasphemy to recommend anything put pf tek to a beginner.But I have tried a pf tek and than went to spawning rye grain and I don't really see why everyone likes pf tek better anyway,it wasn't any easier than making the rye and from what Ive read it sure as hell doesn't produce like spawning rye to poo does.Either order it as I said or just do your self a favor and lean rye,scrap the verm altogether and look for casing teks that use coir.I am a newbie myself but I realized right away that I didn't want to waste my time with pf when there are so many better ways out there.I mean even if you go that route you are going to want to move on to bigger and better things in the future anyway so I say just start there in the 1st place and don't give up till you get it right.Good luck to you

Offlinemushnoon
MushNoob
Male User Gallery
Re: Vermiculite or Perlite? [Re: Blutjager]
    #5923756 - 08/01/06 11:26 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah I thought the same thing. You really have to call every garden or nursery store and ask. I didnt find mine until I called the last nursery in my phone book and had to travel about 25-30 minutes to get it.

--------------------
I love the feeling when it falls apart. Im slow to finish but im quick to start.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals