Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineFMRC
Stranger
Loc: Pensacola, FL
New Vendor Rules By Thor
    #633658 - 05/16/02 07:22 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Only Vendors who pay for advertising at the shroomery can post in the Vendor forum or promote their products anywhere on this website

FMRC's active mailing list exceeds 20,000. We sell the Dual Element Ion for only $40, that's half the price others sell the same identical item for. Since 1972 we have offered the worlds's largest mushroom spore bank. We publish TWO mushroom Journals. We offer FIVE different Catalogs. On and on and on and on......Now, even though many of you have expressed gladness for hearing about us, and thanking us for all the money we have saved you, all the questions we have answered, once again, on and on and on and on......Thor has posted we can no longer advise you people about our products because we do not advertise at the shroomery. With over 20,000 active customers, 3 full time and 5 part time workers, FMRC does not buy any advertising. Mushrooms are all I do. I have no other 2nd job. Seems to me, after being here for 30 years now, our knowledge and experience (FMRC even releases information on psychoactive mushrooms obtained under a Controlled Substances Registration Certificate from the U.S. Department Of Justice Drug Enforcement Administration, Schedule I, DEA Registration Number #PF0238471, issued to FMRC, Stephen L. Peele, Curator), would be welcomed. Who else could possibly even come close? Certainly not anyone else I have seen here. It appears to me that FMRC is being forced out of the shroomery because we do not pay for advertising here (or maybe there is a hidden reason). Hell, no one ever even told me how to place ads here, and now we are being pushed out. Anyone can place free ads in our discussion room at www.mushroomsfmrc.com, and I certainly wouldn't prohibit and screen out ones because they didn't pay me money for the service. I thought forums were for learning, not raising money. Thor may not let this posting go through, so just in case, I will publish this message in both of our Journals "THE MUSHROOM CULTURE", The Journal Of Mushroom Cultivation (TMC), and "TEONANACATL", The International Journal Of Psychoactive Mushrooms (TEO). I wish to thank all of you who contacted me by way of this site, and thank all of you for the kind words and letters.........Until this policy changes, FMRC feels that it is not welcomed here and leaves you at the mercy of "their vendors". Any comments or suggestions can be sent to FloridaMycology@cs.com. Even though "pushed out", I remain respectfully yours, Stephen L. Peele, Curator FMRC since 1972

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: New Vendor Rules By Thor [Re: FMRC]
    #633685 - 05/16/02 07:49 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

No one is being "pushed out". Here's my take on things from a related thread in the suggestions forum.:

In reply to:

>> 3. Only Vendors who pay for advertising at the shroomery can post in the Vendor forum or promote their products anywhere on this website.

I think this is the right move to make. I suggested to Thor to change the name from "Vendors" Forum to "Sponsors" Forum.

If someone wants to exploit The Shroomery for financial gain then why wouldn't The Shroomery ask the same in return.

This could potentially be a windfall for The Shroomery, forcing the hold-out vendors to start footing part of the bill around here.

Why shouldn't the sponsors who are currently paying the bills for this place to exist not be rewarded for their efforts.

The Shroomery is the Big Kahoona of mushroom sites, why would a vendor not want to run a banner ad? The rates are not unreasonable, in fact they are low enough for a succesful vendor to easily surpass in profit margin. Besides that it's also a write-off as a business expense. Why would anybody have a problem with this?

It's real simple: you wan't to play, you have to pay. It works out beneficially for everyone involved.

-Boxtop

Anonymous

#633690 - 05/16/02 07:52 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

You offer absolutely nothing to this community. Even your catalogs cost money, so why bitch about a WEBSITE demanding money from people who want to advertise on their site. If you are so big and helpful to us, email Thor and he will happily sell you banner space here!!! If you and your company refuse to pay, you can't advertise here, GET IT.

Ralphster in under two years has done more for the OMC then you guys have done in your entire existence. The legendary FMRC.

Anonymous

#633703 - 05/16/02 08:11 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

And why do you have Pan. cyanescens and Cop. cyanescens selling for two different prices? They are the same mushroom!!!

InvisibleDreaMaTrix
Shaman I am

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Falling into place
    #633762 - 05/16/02 10:52 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Hey, tell me FMRC,

I noticed on your site, you are offering a cubensis spore print 'Amazon', is this from the Amazon??

Thanx

--------------------

"We are the one's we have been waiting for" - Hopi saying

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #633766 - 05/16/02 10:59 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

You're a vendor, the shroomery is an informational website. It's a completely different business model.

You make money your way, they make money their way. What part of this don't you understand?

Nobody owes you anything. Shit or get off the pot.

I've only been here about 3 months, and I know how to place an ad on the Shroomery.

Here you go.

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

OfflineMeneerCactus
Ex Operator FSRE
 User Gallery
Loc: The Low Lands
Re: New Vendor Rules By Thor [Re: ]
    #633770 - 05/16/02 11:05 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Well spoken!!!

Peace,

Eric

--------------------
"Millions of years of evolution just to .... light up a joint"

InvisibleGreat_Cthulhu
enthusiast

Loc: R'lyeh
    #633812 - 05/17/02 12:20 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

I'm not a vendor and I don't plan on becoming one. I see it the same way though. You don't pay you don't play. I can see charging vendors to display graphical ads on one's website. I cannot see charging vendors to post or talk about their products in forums. It's good to give consumers extra choices...even those choices that can't afford or just will not pay for ad space. I see this limiting of vendors as a way to increase income. If it's really needed to support this website then...maybe...MAYBE.. but if not then it's an annoying money grubbing thing to do...is this website for profit now? If so I'm out of here as well. It is for extra income one way or another otherwise why do it? I do not mind seeing vendors that do not buy ad space here advertise their products in posts. Why should anyone else? Oh ...ok...they don't pay so they shouldn't have the right eh? Do consumers not have the right to see all choices available..even those that don't/can't fork up extra cash to be well known? It's just a message board. Let people decide for themselves.
I kiss no one's ass. I tell it as I see it from a consumer's viewpoint.

--------------------
"That is not dead which may eternal lie..and with strange eons even death may die."
Vote Great Cthulhu for President. Why vote for a lesser evil?

InvisibleSouthernGent
veteran
Re: New Vendor Rules By Thor [Re: Great_Cthulhu]
    #633842 - 05/17/02 01:59 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Dude wake up! This site has always been for profit.

--------------------

Offlinejohnwsmoke
    #633899 - 05/17/02 03:34 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

When I first read Thor's new rules I didn't really think much of it. Then after a while it dawned on me how this would keep start-up venders from gaining exposure. Is this because Thor wishes to become a vender? That would be a BAD thing for the shroomery! I think that if this website is .org then it should allow a free exchange of info, pay or not. I have dealt with several venders and know what I like and expect. Maybe I'll boycott venders being pimped out by the shroomery. This site is getting a worse reputation all the time. Maybe it's just time to take my sorry ass to one of the other sites that don't have such stupid policies. One other thing, I just love how people jump on the bandwagon in threads like this. It must make you guys feel good knowing that Baby Hitler agrees with you.
LOFL.........

JWS

--------------------
Jon was a crippled, midget, lezbian boy- but he stood 10' tall with a KNIFE...

Anonymous

#633925 - 05/17/02 04:22 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

If you want to have a banner ad then of course that will cost but there is no stopping you from just having a sig.

You have to realize that there are some 'vendors' here who are only in it for the money, they couldn't even spell mushroom a year ago when they first discovered the shroomery. They no nothing about mycology and everything about internet marketing. They are very greedy and will do anything to steal a customer including delibertly posting lies and slander about other vendors. I've seen it here a million times. There websites are only pricelists, they offer no information that someone might learn from other than whats 'on sale'.
And they think that because they spent a couple dollars on an ad, that makes them better than a professional mycologist who has lived mushrooms for 30 years.

What joke!

I for one am in this for a hobby. Being a part-time vendor allows me the opportunity to promote saving the enviroment, especially Mt. Elphinstone which is what CaptainMaxMushroom is all about. As the official mascot of an enviromental group, it's what I am and what I do.

I may be getting a banner ad if the prices are right, they should drop as more people get the ads. But basically, this is a hobby and I don't have the time or spores to deal with what will likely be a lot of extra customers.

Some of these vendors should be lucky to lick the toes of a real mycologist but instead they will try to undermine your business and discourage people from visiting your site where they may actually learn something more than the latest used car slaesman gimmick.

OfflineMeneerCactus
Ex Operator FSRE
 User Gallery
Loc: The Low Lands
Re: New Vendor Rules By Thor [Re: Great_Cthulhu]
    #633939 - 05/17/02 04:45 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Well you probalby did not notice the exchange forum and the freedom for us to use it!

What is wrong with some money earned for all those many hours invested in the shroomery?

Peace Bro,

Eric

--------------------
"Millions of years of evolution just to .... light up a joint"

InvisibleMicronMagick
old hand

Post deleted by users_request [Re: FMRC]
    #634016 - 05/17/02 06:26 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Post deleted by administrator.

Anonymous

#634100 - 05/17/02 07:53 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

I would now like to make a call for all the Mods and Admins to begin enforcing this rule immediately.

Even after Thor clearly stated the new rules, we still have vendors who are not sponsors promoting their site. What gives? Either we enforce the rules or we don't impose them. Let's begin this new era at "The Shroomery" TODAY

-Boxtop

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Re: New Vendor Rules By Thor [Re: MicronMagick]
    #634101 - 05/17/02 07:54 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

My opinion on the issue as posted in the suggestion forum:

I personally think it's an all around bad idea. My opinion is that vendors who participate in the community are doing the community a service by their simple presence here. They are taking their time and effort to keep us updated with what's going on in the world of mycology supplies. This is a great service to the community and we would be harmed greatly if we were to loose this service.

And what exactly constitutes promoting ones products? Let's say I have a question for a non-paying vendor, where do I post it? Well, the vendor forum would make sense, but no, they won't be able to answer it there because they can't post there at all. Perhaps in one of the cult forums? nope it'd be off topic, and even at that the vendor would be accused of promoting his product outside of the vendor forum which he can't post in. Even if vendors were allowed to discuss their products/services in other forums, anytime a question was posted by a (relatively) unknown member, suspicions of sock pupeteering would imediately be raised. Effectively, anyone who in any way participates in any type of mycological commerce would be practically perma-banned. This would include people like MJ who is a vendor of mushroom related supplies, but who doesn't own a banner. Is anyone seriously thinking this through, or did it just seem like a good idea?

I see no good way around this issue without damaging the community. Remember, this is a community, not a business. WE paid for the new server, with the help of the vendors. And that's exactly how any further money should be raised. By community residents in concert with community businesses. Not by censorship of valid important information which is good for the community.
Please resist the .com urges
I recomend a serious reconsideration.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

OfflineJammer
Computers areMORE Addictive!

Loc: (God's Country) - USA
    #634126 - 05/17/02 08:20 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

>"I would now like to make a call for all the Mods and Admins to begin enforcing this rule immediately."

As one of the mods of this forum I take full responsability for aproving this post. As I have expressed via PM to BoxTop, Thor, RoadKill and others here I made a big mistake aproving this post. I realized it right after I did it. Unfortuntly there is no means of "unaproving" a post once it's been approved.

Why did I approve it? Simple- I got in too big a rush and scaned the message real fast and mistook the true meaning of his post for the flame that it truly was. I realized that I had fucked up right after I did it. I apoligize for my goof up and can assure all concerned here that from now on I will take more time and read every word of any post pending aproval here.

Please forgive me gang, I know that I really goofed here.

Thanks for your understanding in this matter.

--------------------
>>Jammer>>

Edited by Jammer (05/17/02 06:56 PM)

Offlinejohnwsmoke
Re: New Vendor Rules By Thor [Re: mycofile]
    #634145 - 05/17/02 08:39 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

I SECOND MYCOFILE'S MOTION TO RECONSIDER!!!

--------------------
Jon was a crippled, midget, lezbian boy- but he stood 10' tall with a KNIFE...

Offline3DSHROOM
loon
Male

Re: New Vendor Rules By Thor [Re: mycofile]
    #634191 - 05/17/02 09:01 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

In reply to:

Not by censorship of valid important information which is good for the community

I would hardly call an advertisement by a vendor who doesn't help support the site, "important information". If they have some new breakthrough growing method or some fabulous new invention, it will get posted anyway.

As was mentioned earlier, you may still have links in your sigs. That should be enough advertisement for anyone looking to make a quick buck, and not wanting to see this community continue to grow.

In reply to:

Let's say I have a question for a non-paying vendor, where do I post it? Well, the vendor forum would make sense, but no, they won't be able to answer it there because they can't post there at all.

We never said they can't post at all. They just can't start threads blatantly advertising a product.

MJ is a totally different story. He has contributed so much to this site that that alone is worth more than him having 100 banners with us. Respected members of the community will be just that, respected. These rules apply to new vendors who have contributed nothing.

--------------------
Your friendly neighborhood loon

InvisibleThorA
Anti-Theist OVERLORD
Male User Gallery

Loc: Iceland
    #634235 - 05/17/02 09:30 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Bagman paid for a banner, although his post rants are not appropriate for the forum and I believe one of the mods has contacted him about those posts.

InvisibleSouthernGent
veteran
Re: New Vendor Rules By Thor [Re: Jammer]
    #634243 - 05/17/02 09:35 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Jammer I think you did the right thing by approving the thread. The only way the community can toss around ideas even if we disagree is to discuss it. I dont know this guy at the FMRC but I would say if his business is the size he says it is then buying a banner shouldnt be a problem. I do disagree though with vendors who dont own a banner not being able to contribute here. I noticed though it didnt take the vendors who own banners to jump on this band wagon. Seems fairly self serving to me. If there is a honest vendor out there who supplies a good product at a reasonable price but for some reason cant afford to advertise I m willing to work something out with them in the way of finances. All they need to do is PM me with a little history and proposal.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate