Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

PhytoExtractum Shop: Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisibleredtailedhawk
Explorer of the Mystery
 User Gallery

Loc: The Old Continent
seasonal depression creeping in fast... again
    #6330055 - 12/03/06 11:58 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Well... the winter is here and I'm starting to feel the seasonal depression creeping in on me again.  :drool2:

I have a feeling this one will be a rough one. I've had a pretty stressful year, doing a lot of psychedelic medicine therapy  :mushroom2:, moved to a small town that is a nothing but haven during the summer months, but feels like a morgue during the rest of the year. The nights are getting shorter and colder as each day passes by and my feelings of dread are getting deeper and deeper.

Meditation and regular exercise keeps the edge off, but as author and explorer Alvah Simon realized after being stuck alone through the long and dark artic winter, it's all in vain;

"I have tried so hard to adjust to the darkness and solitude. I even triumphed momentarily, but in the end it was futile. Light and laughter are the core fuels of the human spirit."

Yes they are Alvah, yes they are.

Anyway, I'm fucked but I'm ready. I've armed myself with handpicked St. John's Wort, a natural anti-depressive herb and L-Tryptophan, an amino acid and serotonin precursor. I decided to wait a bit longer, until the going gets really rough (should be soon) and then I'll dose on what I have and put the euro-dance music on until the spring returns again.  :sun:

I wonder how they survived it in the old days.

--------------------

"Who are you who live in all these many forms? You're death that captures all. You too are the source of all that's gonna be born. You're glory, mercy, peace, truth. You give calm a spirit, understanding, courage, the contented heart."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
Re: seasonal depression creeping in fast... again [Re: redtailedhawk]
    #6330074 - 12/03/06 12:08 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

You might want to try swapping your light bulbs out with full-spectrum bulbs.  If they work for plants, why not human beans?  :wink:

I have found this VERY helpful when I've had to deal with SAD during more-grey-than-usual winters.  If you can only afford one full-spectrum bulb, be sure to put it in your reading light or near a work area.  You need to be exposed to that light for at least an hour a day.

Icelander also recommends taking supplemental Vitamin D, which our bodies usually produce in reaction to exposure to sunlight.

:heart:

InvisiblePenguarky Tunguin
f n o r d
Male User Gallery
    #6330188 - 12/03/06 01:22 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

I wonder how they survived it in the old days.

Maybe they didn't bitch and worry as much as you do?  :wink:

Seriously, how can you become depressed with the changing of seasons?  You know it's coming...every year. 

Personally, I love winter.  Everything about it.  The cold outside, coming inside to warmth.  Seeing people I don't get to see all year or even years, who are around for the holidays. 

Stop taking everything so seriously and be happy to be alive and not in Iraq or somewhere like it.  There's plenty of shit to be thankful for.  Find them out.

--------------------
Every mistake, intentional or otherwise, in the above post, is the fault of the reader.

OfflineWScott
´ ɑ `▽ ᑲᓇᑕ
 User Gallery

Loc: Nacada
Re: seasonal depression creeping in fast... again [Re: Penguarky Tunguin]
    #6330599 - 12/03/06 04:14 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Life is a gift, regardless of your belief system. I know I've been in the gutter before.. and winter certainly doesn't help (don't get me wrong, I love a really white winter. It is the shitty, slushy, wet, peice of crap winters that piss me off), but depression is almost never justifiable (save for mourning).

Hmm.. on the news right now there is a segment on Laughter Yoga. Try laughing! "Laugher is the best medince!"

Feel better man! :smile:

--------------------

OfflineCerebralFlower
whats left?

Loc: only the truth is left
Re: seasonal depression creeping in fast... again [Re: WScott]
    #6330741 - 12/03/06 05:01 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Im getting depressed too brother. Life is seeming very empty at this point, even the things I used to enjoy arent very pleasing. Life is sucking anyways, so im just going to start working all the time, like 60 hours a week. Then Ill get a distraction from this fucked up life that mine has evolved into. I feel bad as it is, have nothing to do, I might as well work if im not with the person who means everything to me.

--------------------
God says dance with your heart
And shake free of you desire

Where theres a will theres always a way
When you get confused listen to the music play

OfflineMaverick
Lover of Earwigs!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Valleys of Willamette Flag
Re: seasonal depression creeping in fast... again [Re: CerebralFlower]
    #6330796 - 12/03/06 05:21 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Seasonal depression hits me hard this time of year. As long as no events occur to escalate it though, I think I can handle it with just being depressed and lonely the entire season and wondering why things are so dark and down.

OfflineTwister
Lucrative
Male User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
    #6331725 - 12/03/06 10:56 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Penguarky Tunguin said:
Stop taking everything so seriously and be happy to be alive and not in Iraq or somewhere like it. There's plenty of shit to be thankful for. Find them out.

What he said. You have the power to make this time of year something that you very much enjoy. If you live in a snowy area take up skiing or something else fun(hell even sledding will brighten up any gloomy day) and don't rely solely on your supplemental cheicals to stave off the depression.

Offlinenobhdy
ETNAV
Male

Loc: CT
Re: seasonal depression creeping in fast... again [Re: Twister]
    #6332465 - 12/04/06 10:34 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

shit my mom had the same thing when we lived in Alaska. just go get some full spectrum bulbs.

another alternative is to got to the tanning bed every week or so.

--------------------
[quote]Gumby said:
And if you are going to waste peoples time with your stupid questions, at least try to have grammar skills higher then that of a 7th grader.

READ DAMNIT! [/quote]

Invisibleredtailedhawk
Explorer of the Mystery
 User Gallery

Re: seasonal depression creeping in fast... again [Re: Twister]
    #6332494 - 12/04/06 10:44 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Veritas said:
You might want to try swapping your light bulbs out with full-spectrum bulbs.  If they work for plants, why not human beans?  :wink: Icelander also recommends taking supplemental Vitamin D, which our bodies usually produce in reaction to exposure to sunlight.

Hey Veritas! Thanks for the suggestion. I think I'll buy myself a full-spectrum bulb or two. Vitamin D too. I'll let you know how it goes.

Quote:

Penguarky Tunguin said:
Seriously, how can you become depressed with the changing of seasons?  You know it's coming...every year.

I'm a summer person and I enjoy spending as much time outside during that time of the year as I possibly can. I do extremely well in hot and moist weather and extremely bad in cold and dry one. Typical Vata in Ayurveda medicine. I understand some people enjoy the winter, but I don't.

Quote:

Penguarky Tunguin said:
Stop taking everything so seriously and be happy to be alive and not in Iraq or somewhere like it.  There's plenty of shit to be thankful for.  Find them out.

I'm thankful for a lot of things. I just feel down during this time of the year. I'm not making a drama out of it. I just want to share how I feel.

--------------------

"Who are you who live in all these many forms? You're death that captures all. You too are the source of all that's gonna be born. You're glory, mercy, peace, truth. You give calm a spirit, understanding, courage, the contented heart."

InvisiblePenguarky Tunguin
f n o r d
Male User Gallery
    #6332578 - 12/04/06 11:16 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

It's cool man, just trying to help you a bit.  I think harsh love is the best love and I love you man.  :laugh:

--------------------
Every mistake, intentional or otherwise, in the above post, is the fault of the reader.

OfflineRambel
Stranger

#6333574 - 12/04/06 05:13 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

I feel blue too... I moved to this new city two months ago... it rains and rains and rains... it is always grey and the sun never ever comes out. I haven't been outside my house since Friday.

Invisibleredtailedhawk
Explorer of the Mystery
 User Gallery

#6337120 - 12/05/06 04:09 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Penguarky Tunguin said:
It's cool man, just trying to help you a bit.  I think harsh love is the best love and I love you man.  :laugh:

It's cool man. I love you too.  :wink:

--------------------

Invisibleredtailedhawk
Explorer of the Mystery
 User Gallery

Re: seasonal depression creeping in fast... again [Re: Rambel]
    #6337129 - 12/05/06 04:12 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Rambel said:
I feel blue too... I moved to this new city two months ago... it rains and rains and rains... it is always grey and the sun never ever comes out. I haven't been outside my house since Friday.

I don't have any good advice for you, but know that you’re not alone and that things will get better. If not sooner in spring.  :heart:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

PhytoExtractum Shop: Buy Bali Kratom Powder