Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineacacia314
Stranger

Ethylene Gas and Fungi
    #6326922 - 12/02/06 11:03 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

I stumpled upon an article that mentioned using ethylene gas to encourage pineapple growth. Upon further research I found that this gas is produced by fungi in small amounts as a metabolic product. Information on the topic is extremely limited. I am unaware what species of fungi actually produce the gas. Could be all of them make it or it could be only certain types do. Information is more geared towards the effects of high ethylene concentrations and fungal contamination of plants (kinda backwards for our purposes). The true effects of the gas on contamination seem to vary. in some instances the gas inhibits infection while in others it accelerates it.

Let me point out that this is merely correlation. However, I believe there is a possibility raising the concentration of the gas could effect anything ranging from germination, mycelium growth, and fruiting. One source claimed that ethylene actives fungi spores. Again there is little information on the topic. I took some excerpts from the few pages I did find and the link to the rest of the page can be found directly below the quote. If any1 has more knowledge on this topic please share. Hopefully this isn't a complete dead end :smile:

By the way there probably a couple ways to increase ethylene concentrations. The one i read entailed cutting sliced apple pieces in a closed environment; the decaying fruit puts of the gas.  Quantities produced by this method are unknown to me. I want to get a few more grows under my belt before experimenting with this. IF any1 wants to take the idea and run with it though feel free!

"Ethylene, also known as the 'death' or 'ripening hormone' plays a regulatory role in many processes of plant growth, development and eventually death. Fruits, vegetables and flowers contain receptors which serve as bonding sites to absorb free atmospheric ethylene molecules. The common practice of placing a tomato, avocado or banana in a paper bag to hasten ripening is an example of the action of ethylene on produce. Increased levels of ethylene contained within the bag, released by the produce itself, serves as a stimulant after re-absorption to initiate the production of more ethylene. The overall effect is to hasten ripening, aging and eventually spoilage. A refrigerator acts in much the same way. Kept closed to retain the desired temperature, it also enables an increased concentration of ethylene to accumulate. Any closed environment, such as a truck trailer, shipping container or warehouse, will have a similar effect. "

http://www.marathonproducts.com/products_environmental.html

"Ethylene levels were higher in spaceflight when compared to ground samples. These data suggest that soybean seedlings grown in microgravity are more susceptible to colonization by a fungal pathogen relative to ground controls."

http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/abstract/159/3821/1357

"ethylene glycol, which is a by-product of ethylene oxide fumigation, activates fungi spores. It is probably the presence of this spore activator in fumigated parchments which appears to make them more prone to support fungi growth. This is indeed an exciting topic and a barren field waiting for future research."

http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/byorg/abbey/an/an16/an16-1/an16-116.html

"Ethylene levels were higher in spaceflight when compared to ground samples. These data suggest that soybean seedlings grown in microgravity are more susceptible to colonization by a fungal pathogen relative to ground controls."

"We report here that the main proteinaceous inhibitor of fungal growth in bean leaves is chitinase, an enzyme that can be induced by the plant hormone ethylene, or by pathogen attack. Among commercial preparations of purified chitin-binding lectins (from wheat germ, tomato, potato, pokeweed and gorse), only those containing contaminating chitinase activity inhibit fungal growth."

www.nature.com/nature/journal/v324/n6095/abs/324365a0.html

"Enhanced ethylene production is an early response of plants to pathogen attack and has been associated with both resistance and susceptibility to disease."

http://www.pnas.org/cgi/content/full/95/4/1933

Does any1 have access to this journal article? http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=4215868&dopt=Abstract

--------------------
Here I sit my mind reposed.
Pond'ring what i do not know.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Ethylene Gas and Fungi [Re: acacia314]
    #6326956 - 12/02/06 11:18 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

interesting find, acacia  :laugh: :thumbup:

--------------------
buh

OfflineNalim
OTD Kelly Girl
Female User Gallery

#6332417 - 12/04/06 10:14 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Interesting reading.. Just want to point out that there are few similarities between plants and fungi on a biochemical and genetical level(about the same correlation as between yourself and a plant) so the articles that only handles with plants are not relay that important to fungi growing.. Though the article on spore germination might have something important to contribute... On the matter of the amounts of ethylene gas that is freed by a decaying apple I would say; more than enough. I have used it to produce ethylene effects on tomato plants(they get weird growth in ethylene's presence).

--------------------

Rodney Brooks on Robots
Nalim said: "Quoting yourself is retarded."

Offlineacacia314
Stranger

Re: Ethylene Gas and Fungi [Re: Nalim]
    #6332896 - 12/04/06 01:10 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Hmm I was gonna run set up of a couple jars. Two controls and two variables. The variable jars would be exposed to increased ethylene levels by placing the sliced apples above the jar. Ethylene has a greater density than air and would therefore make its way through the filters on the variable jars (its not a vary big molecule should get through fiter paper or tyvek). The other two would be incubated at the same temperatures but without the increased ethylene concentrations. This would be carried on through fruiting. Apple slices hung at the top of a monotub would be used later on. I plan on starting from spores as opposed to an LC or xfer seeing as one source indicated effects on fungal spore germination. Unfortunately I haven't read up on strain isolation so multispore variations could come into play :\ Also, I take it rotting apples isn't the best addition to a mushroom groth enviroment. THerefore they wouldbe routinely replaced wih fresh slices. If possible they cuold be placed inside a bag with a FAE filter attatched to allow gas out but keep contams in.

Anyhoo thats my plan but its gonna have to wait till after The holidays. I over-saturated my jars because i had the bright idea to start making them after ingesting 600mg of dextromethorphan:)

--------------------

Edited by acacia314 (12/04/06 01:20 PM)

InvisibleGyromitra
Fungsmurf
 User Gallery

#6388330 - 12/19/06 09:37 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

You don't need to slice it; whole apples in a bag are used to induce flowering in bromeliads (pineapple relatives).

Just put them all in paper bags so there's still some air exchange, and put your whole apples over two of them inside the bags.

Thanks for bringing this up, I was curious too and for some reason your post didn't come up in a search.

Offlineacacia314
Stranger

Re: Ethylene Gas and Fungi [Re: Gyromitra]
    #6389959 - 12/20/06 11:56 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah the whole thing started with a wikihow on pinapples :smile: Still haven't tried anything with it yet though gotta wait till spring

--------------------

InvisibleBlimeyGrimey
Collector of Spores
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Puget Sound
    #6416859 - 01/01/07 10:19 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

there's a product called "Sensa-Spray" that is used to induce flowering in plants ( aka marijuana). you mix the spray solution with water then spray it onto the plants. the product activates when it is mixed with water, decomposing into ethylene gas.
its about $20 for a 2oz bottle which makes 2 quarts of solution. a simple google search using the search phrase "Sensa-Spray" will yield alot of sites that sell it.

try adding some to the water that you use in your jars. the gas will build up in your jars creating a nice ethylene filled environment. or put a glass of water into your growbox and add a few drops of sensa-spray to the water everyday.

just my 2c

--------------------
Message me for free microscopy services on Psilocybe, Panaeolus, and Gymnopilus species.

Looking for wild Panaeolus cinctulus and Panaeolus olivaceus prints.

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Ethylene Gas and Fungi [Re: BlimeyGrimey]
    #6417946 - 01/02/07 11:52 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

blimey, grimey  :laugh: :thumbup:

--------------------
buh

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags