Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineQuake3
Total Carbohydrate
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Relatively New York
Mouth smoking Cannabis, for those who don't want to - or cannot - inhale into the lungs
    #6321237 - 11/30/06 11:46 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

http://www.erowid.org/plants/cannabis/cannabis_info23.shtml

Mouth-Smoking Cannabis
by Earth Erowid
December 2001
Erowid Extracts #2
Citation: Erowid, Earth. "Mouth-Smoking Cannabis." Erowid Extracts. Dec 2001; 2:22.
One of the primary health issues with cannabis is the effect of smoke on the lungs. While the risks from long term cannabis smoking are not fully understood, it is assumed by most health professionals that inhaling smoke into the lungs over long periods of time carries increased risks of lung problems. For people with very sensitive lungs and those who are using cannabis as part of a treatment for serious disease, smoking cannabis can be difficult and hard on the body.

Acute effects can include wheezing, coughing, difficulty breathing, and increased mucus production leading to more coughing.

Medium term effects can include decreased lung capacity for exercise, increased respiratory and throat infections, and chronic coughs. Many people (especially asthmatics) experience so much wheezing and chest discomfort that it's not worth the effects.

While some users turn to ingesting cannabis orally, eating cannabis has some downsides which make it unattractive as a replacement for smoking such as difficulty setting dosage, reduced "high", increased sedation, and dramatically increased duration.

One solution to these problems (Zam 1997, 2001) is to avoid using the lungs to extract the cannabinoids from the smoke. Using a technique called "mouth-smoking" or "puffing" commonly used for tobacco cigars, the smoker uses a pipe or joint (not a bong or vaporizer) and pulls smoke into the mouth, holding it there for 30-60 seconds, and then blows it out through the mouth or nose. The lungs are not used, but instead one sucks on the pipe as if drinking through a straw.

Mouth-smoking is not as efficient as lung-smoking and requires approximately 3 times the material for the same level of effect, but for some people efficiency is not an issue.

Many potent varieties of cannabis flowers available around the world in the 1990s and 2000s are so strong that a single lung hit is too much for many people. Using a less
Mouth-smoking has amusing implications for President Clinton's comment: "I didn't inhale".

efficient method can be a practical way to better titrate dosage. With high potency cannabis, a single mouth hit is enough for most people to feel effects. With low potency cannabis, several mouth hits may be required to reach threshold effects.

Pipes and joints reportedly work best for mouth-smoking. While bongs and vaporizers can make lung-smoking less problematic, even a good vaporizer can cause unpleasant lung problems in many people. Most water pipes and vaporizers don't work well for mouthsmoking because it's difficult to pull the required volume with the mouth alone, so many mouthfuls are needed to achieve effects.

Blowing out through the nose is one way to increase efficiency of mouth-smoking, but it can also irritate the sinuses and nasal mucosa. Cannabis users who are extremely sensitive report that blowing out the nose can trigger irritating allergic feelings and discomfort.

Many users are incredulous that cannabis can be smoked without ever pulling into the lungs. Cannabis users with high tolerance report that it can be hard to get their desired effects levels with mouth smoking, but higher potency materials (extract, oil, hash, kief, etc) can be used where necessary to achieve therapeutically useful levels. Some users also report difficulty remembering not to inhale the smoke. As the effects increase, vigilance wanes and lapses in technique are common. With practice, smokers report that they are able to avoid inhaling smoke and can achieve adequate effects without the need to involve their lungs.
Last Modified - Sun, Jul 9, 2006 Document by Erowid

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
Re: Mouth smoking Cannabis, for those who don't want to - or cannot - inhale into the lungs [Re: Quake3]
    #6321274 - 11/30/06 11:56 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

I cant see getting high from that...

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

OfflineRoosterCogburn
Fearless,one-eyed U.S.Marshall
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dirty South, NJ
Re: Mouth smoking Cannabis, for those who don't want to - or cannot - inhale into the lungs [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #6321378 - 11/30/06 12:45 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Fuck that noise... If you get the "high grade" shit they are talking about, 2 monster hits through my Baker is all you need.

I think lung problems stem from smoking low power hippie weed through 6+ joints a day. Even through my one hitter, the super stank only takes 2 or 3 good puffs.

I actually think it helps clear out some of the shit in my lungs, like dead and dying cells which could normally turn cancerous.

Offlinecoda
Banjo Goiter
Male

Re: Mouth smoking Cannabis, for those who don't want to - or cannot - inhale into the lungs [Re: RoosterCogburn]
    #6321387 - 11/30/06 12:48 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

fuck that, 3 times the normal amount to feel the same effects? I don't know any smoker that would be happy about packing 3 bowls to feel as good if you smoked one normally.

This is why vaporizers are around.

--------------------
To get really high is to forget yourself. And to forget yourself is to see everything else. And to see everything else is to become an understanding molecule in evolution, a conscious tool of the universe. And I think every human being should be a conscious tool of the universe. . . .

-JG

i really am glad you came back to us instead of taking the other path. *hug*

-A_S (RIP your final words to me will never be forgotten)

Don't fuck with the laughing jesus.

OfflineQuake3
Total Carbohydrate
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Mouth smoking Cannabis, for those who don't want to - or cannot - inhale into the lungs [Re: coda]
    #6321522 - 11/30/06 01:40 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

I posted that because a while ago there was somebody in the Psychedelic Experience forum reporting about his first time trying pot. S/he did not try pot before because of a lung problem or something. This would be an alternative to eating it, for people who can't use their lungs.

Being a bum, I don't see myself ever trying it, and hopefully I never have to. I'm interested in hearing people's experience with this though.

OfflineRoosterCogburn
Fearless,one-eyed U.S.Marshall
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dirty South, NJ
Re: Mouth smoking Cannabis, for those who don't want to - or cannot - inhale into the lungs [Re: Quake3]
    #6321552 - 11/30/06 01:52 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

I'll try it, but what about the greenish-yellow teeth you will probably have after a few days? :smile:

And your breath would smell like bong water... eek.

OfflineCerebralFlower
whats left?

Loc: only the truth is left
Re: Mouth smoking Cannabis, for those who don't want to - or cannot - inhale into the lungs [Re: RoosterCogburn]
    #6321632 - 11/30/06 02:21 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks for sharing the article. 2 things...
You can vaporize, which is way more effective, tastier, healthier (no burning, just heating up).
I htink holding those hits in for so long is the only way mouth smoking works, but holding your breath for a long time is bad for your heart.. atleast for mine sometimes. If I hold a hit for as long as I can, sometimes my breathing will get out of sync with my heart..

--------------------
God says dance with your heart
And shake free of you desire

Where theres a will theres always a way
When you get confused listen to the music play

OfflineQuake3
Total Carbohydrate
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Mouth smoking Cannabis, for those who don't want to - or cannot - inhale into the lungs [Re: CerebralFlower]
    #6321895 - 11/30/06 03:52 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

You can hold smoke in your mouth and still breathe using your nose. Vaporizing would suffice for most people I suppose.

What about making cannabutter and using that as a quid? Doesn't sound too yummy, though.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale