Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineanonymoushate

Sickness as a result of contaminated shrooms?
    #630592 - 05/14/02 02:13 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Has anyone here ever become ill as a result of eating shrooms grown on contaminated substrate? Has anyone you know ever done so? I keep getting mixed answers, some say it's say to eat shrooms off of contaminated substrate, so long as the fruits are visually clean and smell right, while others will disagree. So, is it relatively safe?

--------------------
All text in the above message, expressed or implied, is fiction.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineWoollyRat
herbivore
Loc: Scandinavia
Re: Sickness as a result of contaminated shrooms? [Re: anonymoushate]
    #631102 - 05/14/02 11:53 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

It could be relatively safe for the mushroom to consume the different toxins that molds and other contams produce; It could still smell nice and look great!

But for you they will most likely be BAD ! Don?t eat shrooms that grew close to molds. Even if it doesn?t kill you, it could cancel your kidneys and liver, and most of your intestines (harm the bacteria living there) and when you finally stoop to an early grave, the mold will come to grow on your headstone. Molds are EVIL!!

--------------------
--------------------------------------------------
What did the Budhist say to the hotdog vendor?
- Make me One with everything!

Offlineanonymoushate

Re: Sickness as a result of contaminated shrooms? [Re: WoollyRat]
    #631424 - 05/15/02 08:35 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Well, that's great but it's got no backing. Someone must know, I mean hell, I don't know how many times I've heard people say it's dangerous, but I've never heard of anyone saying they've actually done it, and become sick. Surely all of those people aren't just spouting off bullshit, with nothing to back what they say, right?

--------------------

OfflineKaren
Pooh-Bah
Female

#631449 - 05/15/02 09:04 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Here is what I would say...

If you can positively identify the contamination and know it is not harmful then go ahead and do it. I do mean POSITIVELY identify it not just uh it kinda looks like it could be .....

If you don't know for sure what it is then don't risk it. It just isn't worth it.

Also if you have any green molds (it is hard to distinguish between the different varieties) and you are sharing with friends ask them if any of them are allergic to penecillin. If so don't let them have any because it is difficult to be sure of which green mold you have.

Karen

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Sickness as a result of contaminated shrooms? [Re: Karen]
    #632565 - 05/16/02 04:36 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

> If you can positively identify the contamination

It is very difficult, if not impossible, to make a 100% positive identification without lab gear. Granted, there are some nasties that are fairly obvious, but even so, I would not bet my health.

I play it safe and toss anything and everything that _might_ be contaminated. Others have called me paranoid for this behavior, but I have worked in a lab and seen what these microbs are cabable of doing. Although I don't have any data to back up my claim, I believe that a lot of the people that get nausea when eating mushies actually have a mild case of food poisoning from contaminated fruit.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Invisibleda_Vinci7
Stranger
Re: Sickness as a result of contaminated shrooms? [Re: Seuss] * 1
    #632798 - 05/16/02 07:50 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Listen to Seuss, if you suspect its not good, throw it out. Better safe than sorry. Think about it, if you eat mushrooms that are suspect, by the time you figure out that something is not quite right, you will be tripping , and trust me on this, you do not want to be tripping and have any worries about whether you need to go to the hospital or not. A friend of mine had some birdseed that he suspected to be contaminated, he made a patch outside under some plants out of curiosty's sake to see what would happen. He was shocked to find a cluster of approx 7 (small but fat) mushrooms about 2 days later. They looked/smelled ok, so he brought them in, cleaned them off and dried them out. He went to a bar a couple of days later and took them along to show a friend, since he doesn't drink, my friend, against his better judgement, ate them.

For the first couple of hours everything went well, no stomach discomfort, etc. Him and his friend left the bar to go to his apartment, and almost instantly the trip became very intense and severe stomach pain and excessive vomiting followed for about the next 2.5 hours. This was not the normal throw up and you feel better episode, this was a constant(every 10-15 min.) of throwing up(nasty yellow stomach fluid). There were times he felt he was going to pass out it got so bad, he was very close to saying fuck it and have his friend bring him to the hospital. Luckily he recovered without having to go. He learned his lesson though, when in doubt, throw it out!!! Having to decide whether or not to go to the hospital when your tripping is not fun!!

Edited by da_Vinci7 (05/16/02 07:58 AM)

Offlineanonymoushate

Re: Sickness as a result of contaminated shrooms? [Re: da_Vinci7]
    #632883 - 05/16/02 08:48 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks, that is the reply I was looking for. I have decided to wait, sterilize EVERYTHING that the contaminated cake has even been remotely close to, and start over. This time I am going to be wise, and use the MicronMagick filter discs and plastic lids, as I hear the filters are a MUST have when doing jars of any size. Hopefully my new spores and filters/plastic lids will cut my contamination problems down to size.

--------------------

OfflineCatzeye

Loc: The South
    #632901 - 05/16/02 09:04 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

One of the biggest things you have to worry about with contams is alergic reactions and stomach upset. Keep in mind that a potent cubie can cause severe vomiting if one has injested alcohol or other substance that cause nausia. Drinking sweets will definetly increase your nausia when you trip on shrooms. Most contams are common house hold molds and bacteria that are for the most part non-pathogenic to humans. They can however cause extremely bad alergic reactions in the nose, sinuses, throat and lungs. This is especially true for penicilin molds. A lot of people have alergies to molds in general. I ready study somewhere a couple of years ago about the cause of alergies among people with chronic sinusitus. Mold was in the top five lists for causing alergic reactions. Bacteria that grows in and around fungus are common to your own intestinal flora most of the time. E-Coli being the number # bacteria found associated with shrooms. Sterilization of substrate and casing material with pressure cookers can eliminte the majority of harmfull bacteria and fungus. Most of the time contaminations arrise after the jars or bags have been placed in an incubator. It's essential that you clean your incubators frequently with bleach to prevent colonies from forming. Eating shrooms that come from a moldy casing is extremely risky. Keep in mind that humans eat mold all the time. Blue cheese is the result of mold growth on cheese, that's why it has a mushroomy taste. Brie cheese has mold on it. Wine and beer are fermented by yeast which is closely related to mold and other fungus. The biggest thing you would have to worry about is getting a tropical mold in your casing. Tropical molds can be EXTREMELY pathogenic. These are rare though. Well kids that's my 2cents. Be carefull and blessed be.

Catzeye

--------------------
~It is Green, It Is AquaMarine~
It is Colors I have Never Seen.
I can See Past You
To the White Sands.
Stevie Nicks

OfflineKaren
Pooh-Bah
Female

Re: Sickness as a result of contaminated shrooms? [Re: Seuss]
    #633019 - 05/16/02 10:25 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

I have to agree with you Suess. I personally don't eat any contiminated shrooms at all.

I was just giving a little bit of advice for those that do. No matter how much you say don't eat contaminated shrooms people are still going to do it.

I mean you have to figure people out there are doing things like meth and crack to get high. If they are willing to take a risk to do those drugs then they are most likely willing to risk a little contams. Right?

Offlineanonymoushate

Re: Sickness as a result of contaminated shrooms? [Re: Karen]
    #633979 - 05/17/02 05:49 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

I wouldn't make a comparison to crack or meth just yet. I am growing impatient is all. It's been years since I've visited the "other side" and I'm getting tired of waiting on my supplies. No more spores, no filter discs, no proper plastic lids, I just didn't want to see 8 jars lost to full blown contamination. Thanks for all of your replies.

--------------------

OfflineKaren
Pooh-Bah
Female

#634225 - 05/17/02 09:20 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

I didn't specifically mean you.

Sorry about that... I should have been more clear.

Offlinemew
Re: Sickness as a result of contaminated shrooms? [Re: anonymoushate] * 1
    #634253 - 05/17/02 09:45 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

There's one i can't think of the scientific name at the moment simply called black mold that can do you in for good ,i know for a fact cause a brother that was quite familiar on the omc groups get contammed with itand it pit him in the hospital befor he found out what it was now this bro is a very experienced grower talkin many years of experience here folksand was a pretty well known vendor in some communities Karen prolly knows who im speaking of , so be cautious of them molds i believe he merly breathed the spores from an infected case er sumthing accidently and that was enough to put him in the hospital for a month er two ,so once again use caution when working with this stuff ,and as he said if you see black don't expose it in your work living area but get rid of it immediatly .MEW

--------------------
support the FSR

Offlineanonymoushate

Re: Sickness as a result of contaminated shrooms? [Re: mew]
    #634646 - 05/17/02 04:33 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Heh, Karen, it's fine, I knew you didn't mean me. I do appriciate all of your replies. Contamination = bad, impatience on the other hand can drive us to ignore the obvious risks of doing dangerous things. Unfortunately patience is not a virtue I possess, but I am going to let your postings decide for me. I threw out the contaminated cake in question last night, and am sterilizing everything that was even remotely close to it. Cleanliness is Godly.

--------------------

OfflineMushed_out
Stranger
Male

#9521539 - 12/31/08 12:15 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I have eaten dried mushrooms that fucked my system up for almost 3 months. I am not sure if they were grown on a contaminated substrate or just improper drying. All I know is I barley tripped and they day after I had cloudy urine which became cloudier as the days continued. I combated this with cranberry juice and it helped for a while. Then my lymph nodes swelled up all over my neck and have now finally disappeared for the most part 6 months later. Towards the end my balls were in constant pain, I dropped a ton of weight, my eyes began to yellow, sex was painful and I developed strep throat that left my throat permanently swollen looking. After putting the doctor off for a while (3 months), due to no insurance; I was able to afford a plan and go see one. He gave me some strong antibiotics and sure enough a week later I was completely normal. This experience taught me a very important lesson that has led me to the shroomery.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #9522877 - 12/31/08 09:55 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

This thread has been closed.

Reason:
Quote:

He gave me some strong antibiotics

Which means you had food poisoning caused by BACTERIA totally unrelated to dried mushrooms.  Christ, what's with bumping all the dead threads full of bullshit disinformation lately???  :shrug:
RR

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds