Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleEndlessNameless
Stranger

Loc: Valley of the Sun
Hdtv Decision Making Advice
    #6305697 - 11/27/06 06:30 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Hello all, I don't believe I have ever posted in this forum. I am in the market for an Hdtv and for the most part have narrowed my decision down to either a Samsung 56" HL-S5687W DLP TV or a Mitsubishi 57" WD-57731 DLP television. Does anybody have any input or experience on any of the tv's mentioned above or even similar makes or models? Or do you guys prefer a different techonology altogether? I am leaning towards DLP techonology for a few reasons including cost to size ratio and 1080p resolution. I will also use this television for computer games as well as Playstation 3 in the not-to-distant future. Any advice would be greatly apprecaited. Thanks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinesupra
computerEnthusiast
Loc: TEXAS
Re: Hdtv Decision Making Advice [Re: EndlessNameless]
    #6306287 - 11/27/06 10:00 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

i have a mitsubishi 65" hdtv, but it is projection, when i bought it, it had the best picture available. I really like it and have no complaints. I was talking to a guy a work the other day, and he was talking about how the price for lcd technology should drop drastically right after the new year...

peace

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

Re: Hdtv Decision Making Advice [Re: supra]
    #6306865 - 11/28/06 05:31 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Find out if either can accept a "true" 1080p signal (rather than just upconverting.

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

Re: Hdtv Decision Making Advice [Re: supra]
    #6306866 - 11/28/06 05:31 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Find out if either can accept a "true" 1080p signal (rather than just upconverting).

Look into the price of bulbs, and how often you will need to replace them. I thought it was every 2-3 years, but I'm not sure.

DLP's are definetly the cheaper technology. I personally went with plasma, I thought the colors were a touch richer, but to each his own. It's difficult to chose a TV because you'll be tweaking color setting and other things once you get it home, so it'll look different than in the store.

Take into consideration all the inputs. My TV only has one HDMI input which would have been a slight downfall had I planned on keeping it for long-term.

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Edited by badchad (11/28/06 05:37 AM)

OfflineTheCow
Stranger

#6307411 - 11/28/06 11:31 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

I find lcd technology to look superior to anything else on the market right now. I hear though that LED technology should be coming out soon, which supposedly will blow everything else away.

InvisibleEndlessNameless
Stranger

Loc: Valley of the Sun
Re: Hdtv Decision Making Advice [Re: badchad]
    #6308215 - 11/28/06 04:32 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

I agree, I really like the colors in Plasma televisions but I am concerned about the burn in factor. Others have said it's over exaggerated but I'm not so sure. I have seen plasma sets where a static dvd menu was left on the screen overnight by accident and permanent burning was visible from that point on. I hear normal sports or news tickers or even station logos won't cause burning, I have also heard playing games drastically increases the chance of burn in. Please let me know of your experience.

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

#6308649 - 11/28/06 07:00 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

I have a 50" Akai plasma. Hardcore enthusiasts would snicker at my "cheapo" TV.

I think it's wonderful and have enjoyed it immensely. In my personal experience, I have no burn-in issues whatsoever. Admittedly, I don't play any video games on it whatsoever. I do however, watch a ton of movies on it. Thus, the TV is often in "black bar" mode, with only a portion of the screen in use. This is what leads to "burn in" (uneven wearing of the pixels on the screen). Even watching as many movies as I do, I have experienced no burn in. My TV isn't top of the line, and has no type of burn in protection. Thus, with newer sets that actually do have burn in protections I certainly agree the potential for burn in is "overexagerrated" although not impossible.

What size room will the set be in? If you are certain that you want to go over 50" then I would definetly NOT go with plasma. There aren't many sets available over 50" and the price just ain't worth it.

This would leave you with either LCD or DLP. I still (personally) would prefer LCD. AGain, I found the colors and picture to be sharper, and better quality. The major issue will be viewing angle. My TV is approaching a year old, and I haven't kept up with the latest and greatest though.

Again, if you are set on 1080P make sure you get a set that can accept a true 1080p signal.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder