Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBlue_Shrooms
just anothershroomer
 User Gallery

Loc: Wounder Land
old rye caused contams?!
    #6297173 - 11/18/06 03:13 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Swim has had such bad luck lately. In his last 3 attempts he had contams in his rye berry jars. All jars used a different syringe and in the end ALL jars contamed! Always green mold appears after 1/4 to 1/2 the jar is colonized. Swim has taken every precaution. He uses bottled water, and does every thing as sterile as possible! Swim disinfects the small room he uses and cleans all tools with rubbing alcohol. Swim thinks that it might be the rye (even after the 1 hour @ 15psi) that is causing the contams, it is about 6 months old.
He bought new rye seed and rinsed it off and then proceeded to cook @ 15psi for 1 hour. He made new syringes with a different print and will give it another go.
Is it possible that the old rye berries might cause the contams ... what are the chances that all syringes (form different prints) got contamed ... two of which were from a liquid culture which showed no sign of any contams?
Swim is doing it again, but would like your opinion on his issues! is it possible?

--------------------
Wisdom Is Respected Hatred Is Rejected -- STEEL PULSE

Man to man is so unjust, children
You don't know who to trust
Your worst enemy could be your best friend
And your best friend your worst enemy -- BOB MARLEY

It's ok if you want to experment with drugs.
It's when you begin to dwell on them drugs,
THAT'S when it's time to stop!  -- EDDIE

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Loc: clawing your furniture
Re: old rye caused contams?! [Re: Blue_Shrooms]
    #6297547 - 11/18/06 05:26 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

I don't know that aged rye berries, properly sterilized would grow green mold. And i do not know your techniwues when creating syringes, so i can't say how likely it is that they contaminated. Let us know how it goes. Good luck.

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: old rye caused contams?! [Re: CureCat]
    #6297845 - 11/18/06 07:16 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Molds are killed by temperatures far below boiling, so any molds in the grains would easily be killed in the PC. The green mold is being introduced later, either somewhere in your inoculation procedure/printing/syringe making, or in the filter material being used in your lids.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineBlue_Shrooms
just anothershroomer
 User Gallery

Loc: Wounder Land
Re: old rye caused contams?! [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6305143 - 11/27/06 04:24 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

That kind of makes since...the filter material. Before I had no problem with my filter disc (Thank you USPS) but all my last attempts I've used some from of FedEx's material courtesy of the local drop off box! Maybe I got some dirty envelops?! How would I fix that problem in the future...wipe down the filter disc with some 91%?
Thanks for your help!

--------------------
Wisdom Is Respected Hatred Is Rejected -- STEEL PULSE

Man to man is so unjust, children
You don't know who to trust
Your worst enemy could be your best friend
And your best friend your worst enemy -- BOB MARLEY

It's ok if you want to experment with drugs.
It's when you begin to dwell on them drugs,
THAT'S when it's time to stop!  -- EDDIE

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: old rye caused contams?! [Re: Blue_Shrooms]
    #6307228 - 11/28/06 10:21 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

The filter gets sterilized with the jar, so no need for alcohol. I'm no fan of postal service tyvek. Get a tyvek coverall suit at your local home improvement store and cut it up for filters, or use my favorite, synthetic filter disks which can be used and reused thousands of times, making them the cheapest as well as the most convenient since they're precut to fit the lid rings.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures