Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBooming
n00b psybot

What could cause contamination after inoculation??
    #6296716 - 11/18/06 11:46 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

what could cause a contamination after inoculation? i have brf and vermiculite jars with maybe half inch of dry vermiculite to block the contams. about 1 week after inoculation mycelium began to grow and everything was looking great!! however, friday a small greenish spot appeared in one of the clumps of mycelium. i do not have a pic, i have no digital camera and my phone for some reason cannot send it to my email right now.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

Re: What could cause contamination after inoculation?? [Re: Booming]
    #6296728 - 11/18/06 11:50 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Trich,Sorry for being a smart ass,I was always under the impression that it cant get through your top verm layer,but I'm sure it can ever now and then,Get it away from the rest of your jars,Good luck

InvisibleBacchus
Lurker
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ::1
Re: What could cause contamination after inoculation?? [Re: Blutjager]
    #6297230 - 11/18/06 03:36 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

That's a good reason to flame your tip after every two or three jars. If you don't, you could cross-contaminate your whole batch.

--------------------

Living on a no-Flash diet is way easier than you think. Give it a shot.

OfflineQuake3
Total Carbohydrate
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Relatively New York
Re: What could cause contamination after inoculation?? [Re: Bacchus]
    #6297256 - 11/18/06 03:44 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

If it's bacteria, it's probably because you didn't sterilize the jar correctly. On the other hand, mold would likely be introduced during inoculation, or because you didn't use an effective filter on your lids.

Green = (likely) Trichoderma = mold = BAD! Don't open the jar indoors, toss it or PC it before opening it, if you want to re-use it.

OfflineBooming
n00b psybot

Re: What could cause contamination after inoculation?? [Re: Quake3]
    #6318717 - 11/29/06 12:37 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

so i cannot just empty the jars out in my trash and use rubbing alcohol to sterilize the jars to reuse them? I have to PC them before i empty the jars if i want to reuse the jar?

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #6318730 - 11/29/06 12:45 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

You should pc before opening a contaminated jar in the house. You can take it outside to open, but bear in mind, you'll have trich spores all over you and your clothes, that you'll then bring back inside. It's easy to PC or drop the jar into boiling water for an hour first, then it doesn't matter.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
    #6318733 - 11/29/06 12:46 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

so i cannot just empty the jars out in my trash and use rubbing alcohol to sterilize the jars to reuse them?

Yes. I mean, empty the jars, wash them with soap, submerge them on bleach solution for a couple of hours, rinse and clean them. You can use rubbing alcohol after they get dry to be on the safest side.

As for your problem goes: try building a glove box or try inoculating on a very clean environment. Flame&alcohol clean the needle on every new jar, cover your inoculation holes after inoculating.

Good luck,
MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies