Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineeuphoricpoison
Expand your Mind
Male User Gallery
Loc: NewYork
Growing Psilocybe Azurescens?
    #6294171 - 11/17/06 02:35 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

I'm only curious, but what is the difference between growing cubs and growing Psilocybe Azurescens? I think I've herd that they grow on wood chips however I could be mistaken. If there's a web ling on growing azurescens could you send me the link? Thank you.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineVampireSlayer
killing ghosts,zombies andvampires forlife
Male User Gallery

Re: Growing Psilocybe Azurescens? [Re: euphoricpoison]
    #6294244 - 11/17/06 03:09 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

--------------------
I Don't come to fight flesh and blood but spiritual wickedness in high and low places

Edited by Pikashroom (11/17/06 03:09 PM)

Offlineeuphoricpoison
Expand your Mind
Male User Gallery
Loc: NewYork
Re: Growing Psilocybe Azurescens? [Re: VampireSlayer]
    #6294918 - 11/17/06 06:38 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

nice, thatnx man, just curious. Im gonna take a look now.

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
    #6294923 - 11/17/06 06:40 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

Re: Growing Psilocybe Azurescens? [Re: Roadkill]
    #6295440 - 11/17/06 09:51 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Ive always wanted to grow some other actives just to try them but they always look like no one gets a worthwhile yield

OfflineGooners
Male

#13817690 - 01/19/11 10:38 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Cubs are deff alot easier to grow

--------------------

OfflineLurkingWizards
WurkingLizards
Male

Loc: hear and now, woof
Re: Growing Psilocybe Azurescens? [Re: Gooners]
    #13818398 - 01/20/11 01:04 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

It depends on how you look at it.  If you want to grow indoors, then grow cubes or possibly pan cyans.  But if you can only grow outdoors and actually prepare your beds properly, you could expect huge seasonal harvests for years to come, as long as the beds stay established and you throw more wood chips down to become colonized regularly.

of course this is all in theory, but you could put less work into an outdoor bed and have continuous harvests.  Or you could work out a schedule for indoor growing: preparing grain, substrate, and tubs every two weeks or something and have somewhat of a continuous harvest.

I'd like to hear from some outdoor bed growers, if you're out there, because I'm planning some beds this year.  I've grown out some Azurescens myc in wbs jars and need to transfer it to sterile wood chip jars, but that is for another time and place.

--------------------

InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

Loc: On a Chemical Vacation
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Growing Psilocybe Azurescens? [Re: euphoricpoison] * 2
    #13818430 - 01/20/11 01:20 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

The reason why nobody grows them indoors as opposed to cubensis is that most people grow for yields instead of scientific proof of concept. It's doable, but much harder than cubes and, like it has been said, the yields will be (piss) poor. Also you need to watch the environmental parameters much more closely and create a cold climate indoors and then hope that you get them to fruit at all.
If you live in the right climate region then growing them outside is a whole different story, however:

Colonized pet bedding wood shavings spawned to outdoor beech chip bed in March/April. Harvested in October/November same year.

--------------------
"Vegetarian" [ /ˌvedʒəˈteəriən/] - Ancient slang meaning "village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride".

Invisiblefngbronco
Monkey Man
Male

Re: Growing Psilocybe Azurescens? [Re: German Kahuna]
    #13818589 - 01/20/11 02:19 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I know the "correct" climate is PNW but if one found a similar habitat that gets watered via sprinklers regularly, couldn't that PNW climate be simulated? Here the summers get upwards of 100+ F but nights drop to the 70s, and winter varies greatly from teens to 40s for highs. Is there a certain plant that cohabits with cyans or azures that requires similar climate? Can they be hardened to grow in similar-ish habitat?

--------------------
I challenge you to challenge yourself more! When you feel complacent and ready to hang it up, challenge yourself to get over it! If you fail, don't look at it as you didn't succeed, look at it as you would a rock face you're trying to climb. Stand back, wayyyy back, and look at it and plot another path. If you can't find one, shuffle down the way a little, a little change of scenery or a view from a different angle may give you the insight you need.

Anything I state is relayed information from a friend of a friend and should be viewed as completely fictitious. I do not partake in any illegal or grey-area-of-the-law activities, but do have lots of friends who may or may not.    -fngbronco

Pill Divider Agar Tek

InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Growing Psilocybe Azurescens? [Re: fngbronco]
    #13818624 - 01/20/11 02:34 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

The ones you see above were grown in Germany, which isn't exactly the PNW. I gave a print to someone who then grew them in Wisconsin. In both places they do not naturally occur (yet). Hardiness zones and keeping the beds moist are key.
They can potentially be cultivated outdoors in the 5,6,7 and 8 zones:

--------------------
"Vegetarian" [ /ˌvedʒəˈteəriən/] - Ancient slang meaning "village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride".

OfflineLurkingWizards
WurkingLizards
Male

#13818697 - 01/20/11 03:14 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I'm right at the 6-7 dividing line... :smile2:

a statement then a question: I can get pine and cedar shavings anywhere, but I thought those kinds of woods were not recommended, is there a specific kind of pet bedding you would suggest?  or should I just use alder chips(or other hardwood)?

I will have access to some land soon that has acres of trees, so that will not be a problem eventually.  But for now, I was wanting to get set up for grain to wood xfers, just to use the myc I've already got.

So, I'm willing to try out some pet bedding if I can get a good recommendation... I'm all about experimenting, but advice from someone who has experience is worth it's weight in precious metals mushrooms.:mushroom2:

--------------------

InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Growing Psilocybe Azurescens? [Re: LurkingWizards]
    #13818720 - 01/20/11 03:34 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

For spawn you can also use rye berries. I just used wood shavings they are selling cheap in bricks in pet shops because it seemed like the natural thing to do with a wood loving species. :shrug:
As for the actual wooden substrate in the beds: use hardwood. That's what these species naturally grow on. I believe that you can substitute it with conifer wood chips, but the results will most likely be inferior. Just get alder or beech chips used in landscaping and/or smoking, they are perfect.

--------------------

OfflineLurkingWizards
WurkingLizards
Male

#13818823 - 01/20/11 05:11 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Cool, that's sorta what I had already figured... I have read about this before(I've been a lurkerin' for years) but didn't know if a certain kind of bedding was best.  Like I said, I can get about 3 different kinds of pet bedding from cedar, pine, etc.  I was just under the impression that pine and cedar was not optimal. But I'll try 'em all out, believe me I say I have the spawn.:smile2:

And I've used rye berries too, but wbs is way cheaper for me and has a wider variety of nutrients imo.  Hell, I've used mixes of both rye and wbs before just for shits and giggles :publicfart:

As for the hardwood, I've got that covered in March-April.  Acres of fallen wood from last year and plenty more where that came from.  Wood will be my new poo for a while, or I should say coir at least (because poo is not my fav.)  I like experimenting and I'll most likely make many beds of different varieties of local woods and such.

Anyways, thanks for the guidance and insight.:thumbup:

--------------------

InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #13818827 - 01/20/11 05:17 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Don't use cedar, it has a very high resin content which is detrimental to mycelial growth. Other conifer wood shavings are a-ok, though.

--------------------

InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #13818835 - 01/20/11 05:21 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I just realized that this is a 4 year old thread that someone resurrected. :picard:
Oh well, at least it's serving a purpose now.

--------------------

OfflineLurkingWizards
WurkingLizards
Male

#13818878 - 01/20/11 05:55 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I'm glad I was not the 'resurrector', but I do partially blame my-self for being a noob-poster and helping with the resurrection. Of course, now that the thread has actually done some good, I'm happy this happened.

I thought I remembered something about cedar and pine being no good... ah, resin, that's right. thanks again

--------------------

Invisiblefngbronco
Monkey Man
Male

#13819240 - 01/20/11 08:49 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I'm at 4-5-6 ish area so I'm gonna try it. I've heard that cyans can survive something like -20F and straw can be laid onto as an insulating layer.

Thank you very much for the info once again German Kahuna!!

--------------------
I challenge you to challenge yourself more! When you feel complacent and ready to hang it up, challenge yourself to get over it! If you fail, don't look at it as you didn't succeed, look at it as you would a rock face you're trying to climb. Stand back, wayyyy back, and look at it and plot another path. If you can't find one, shuffle down the way a little, a little change of scenery or a view from a different angle may give you the insight you need.

Anything I state is relayed information from a friend of a friend and should be viewed as completely fictitious. I do not partake in any illegal or grey-area-of-the-law activities, but do have lots of friends who may or may not.    -fngbronco

Pill Divider Agar Tek

InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Growing Psilocybe Azurescens? [Re: fngbronco]
    #13819388 - 01/20/11 09:27 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

fngbronco said:
I've heard that cyans can survive something like -20F and straw can be laid onto as an insulating layer.

True. After the last flushes, when it starts to get real cold cover the beds with straw and take it off and add new wood chips to the beds after the last frosts when no new frosts are to be expected and you can enjoy fresh wood lovers from your beds every season for years.

--------------------

Offlinemattamundo
Stranger

Re: Growing Psilocybe Azurescens? [Re: VampireSlayer]
    #17090011 - 10/24/12 12:58 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

do you know if it grows on horse poop

Offlinemattamundo
Stranger

Re: Growing Psilocybe Azurescens? [Re: mattamundo]
    #17090013 - 10/24/12 12:59 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

any one know if it grows on horse poop

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract