Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineoceanfloatation
Stranger
First post! San Pedro out of soil question
    #6278971 - 11/13/06 02:08 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Hey, I've been lurking on here for a while, and figured I'd finally post since

Just received a cutting in the mail of san pedro, and I was wondering how long it can survive without being put into soil?
Thanks!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
Re: First post! San Pedro out of soil question [Re: oceanfloatation]
    #6278979 - 11/13/06 02:11 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

i had a footlong pedro last a year out of soil, but most last about 6 months before starting to dry out or rot. keep it over the winter and root it come spring. spring = faster rooting.

InvisibleStonehenge
Alt Center
Male User Gallery
Loc: S.E.
Re: First post! San Pedro out of soil question [Re: CptnGarden]
    #6279292 - 11/13/06 03:34 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

They will generally start to grow roots while out of soil. Whatever part is in the dark will be most likely to grow roots but I've seen them start from the top of the plant. Just put the cut end after it's calloused over into dry soil. Do not water it until it roots which may take a few months. Let it have some light but not too much. In the spring you can water it after it roots. You can tell by gently wiggling it and noticing the resistance.

--------------------
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.” (attributed to Alexis de Tocqueville political philosopher Circa 1835)

Trade list http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/18047755

Invisibletruffleupagus
Male User Gallery

Re: First post! San Pedro out of soil question [Re: Stonehenge]
    #6279787 - 11/13/06 06:02 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Stonehenge said:
They will generally start to grow roots while out of soil. Whatever part is in the dark will be most likely to grow roots but I've seen them start from the top of the plant. Just put the cut end after it's calloused over into dry soil. Do not water it until it roots which may take a few months. Let it have some light but not too much. In the spring you can water it after it roots. You can tell by gently wiggling it and noticing the resistance.

You're not supposed to water it at all until it grows roots?

I thought you were supposed to give it a little water after planting it but then only water once every couple weeks until roots form and substantial growth is noticed. No? Wouldn't it root better given a little moisture?

OfflineschmutzenS
King of the side-pins
 User Gallery

Loc: Miss Kitty's Lounge
Re: First post! San Pedro out of soil question [Re: truffleupagus]
    #6279963 - 11/13/06 06:56 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Not during the winter, it is ideal to keep them dormant until the growing season begins, any growth that would start now would just be spindly/thin.

They grow roots from moisture absorbed in the air through their pores.  No humans required :laugh:

--------------------

"Blow up your TV, throw away your paper.  Go to the country, build you a home."

Offlinengnyus
the madherbalist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: First post! San Pedro out of soil question [Re: schmutzen]
    #6280092 - 11/13/06 07:33 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

O.K. I know I'm contradicted the last couple of people, but I grow alot of pedro and what I'd do is plant it in moist soil (make SURE it's calloused), since you don't know how long it's been out, and then put it in a cool dark place and forget about it till after the frost breaks.

--------------------

You reap what you sow

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
Re: First post! San Pedro out of soil question [Re: ngnyus]
    #6280137 - 11/13/06 07:43 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

ngnyus said:
O.K. I know I'm contradicted the last couple of people, but I grow alot of pedro and what I'd do is plant it in moist soil (make SURE it's calloused), since you don't know how long it's been out, and then put it in a cool dark place and forget about it till after the frost breaks.

:thumbup:

that bit of moisture helps coax out the roots.

OfflineMitchnast
Toadmonger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Okanagan
Re: First post! San Pedro out of soil question [Re: CptnGarden]
    #6280232 - 11/13/06 08:05 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

you want roots, just put them in dry dirt, in a pot, and put the pot up high, like near the celing, its dry and warm up there, do this in febryary and you should have roots by the growing season

OfflineBrewmaster
Mescalero
Male User Gallery

Loc: Richmond Flag
Re: First post! San Pedro out of soil question [Re: Mitchnast]
    #6282617 - 11/14/06 02:05 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

"that bit of moisture helps coax out the roots."

You don't need to do anything to coax the roots other than cut it and let it callous. It's best to leave a cutting standing up, because as someone else mentioned, they can grow roots from anywhere. I've got maybe 6-8 cuttings, 2.5 feet tall that didn't root well enough before it got cold. I've just got them in a closet and they're shooting out roots left and right. Warm soil, not moist, is the best trigger to START root developement. Roots are looking for water, you want them to get bigger and longer before you start giving it to them. After a cutting has calloused, I set it on top of the dirt and don't water for at least 6 weeks, sometimes longer if the roots are still small. Keeping the soil moist will discourage strong root developement in the rooting stage.

If you have something like a 6 inch cutting, you may want to put it on some soil over a heating mat and try to root it now. If it's something bigger like a foot and a half or larger, it is probably storing enough water to last well into next year. Partially depends on how old it already is.

--------------------
On storing pedro tea...

Brewmaster: Well, the mescaline will still be in there, but I'd be afraid of it conjealing and trying to escape after it grew in size from eating all the other shit in my fridge, and possibly my dogs if it got out.

Pithlit: sentient drugs, now that is an idea ...

OneMoreRobot: Idea? It's a fuckin' reality. You know Salvia? Nigga stole my TV.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag