Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleIrradiated_Feces
doomedgeneration
 User Gallery

Loc: Great White North
Drug Driving
    #6278434 - 11/13/06 11:03 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

PM to unwrap drug-driving bill today

GLORIA GALLOWAY

From Friday's Globe and Mail

Drivers who get behind the wheel while stoned on drugs will be targeted in new legislation to be announced today by Prime Minister Stephen Harper, sources have told The Globe and Mail.

Mr. Harper will unveil the legal changes in Kitchener, Ont., where he will be accompanied by Senator Marjorie LeBreton, whose daughter Linda LeBreton-Holmes and her 12-year-old son Brian were killed more than 10 years ago by a drunk driver.

Mr. Harper will announce that the Criminal Code will be amended to allow police to apprehend and test drug-impaired drivers, something that previous Liberal governments had tried unsuccessfully to enact, government sources said.

That is the very least that the Conservative government plans to do, said Andrew Murie, the chief executive officer of Mothers Against Drunk Driving Canada.

Mr. Murie will be at the announcement today and will have a brief private meeting with Mr. Harper.

Police officers have been asking for this type of power for many years but scientific tests have not been available for roadside use to accurately determine what substances a drugged driver has smoked, ingested or injected.

Mr. Murie said the introduction in the United States of what is known as a drug recognition evaluation has eliminated that roadblock in recent years.

"It is a series of tests that look for families of drugs," he said. As the driver performs the tests, a skilled officer will usually be able to tell what kind of drug is causing the impairment. Then a bodily fluid is demanded to confirm the result.

When the evaluation, plus the officer's assessment and the analysis of the blood or saliva sample, is presented to a court, Mr. Murie said, "it's been proven successful to get a conviction."

But he said he hopes Mr. Harper takes the initiative to be announced today several steps further.

There is speculation that the government will add at least one, and possibly three, new enhancements to existing drunk-driving legislation, he said.

"If it comes through," he said, "it will be the most comprehensive breakthrough [against drunk drivers] in 10 years."

First, Mr. Murie said, there is talk the government will remove the possibility for someone who is found to have a blood-alcohol reading of more than .08 per cent -- the legal limit for driving -- to introduce evidence that he or she could not have been as impaired as a breath analysis machine suggested.

People who blow over the limit but bring six friends to court to say they had just one or two beers can plant seeds of doubt in a judge's mind. Those cases are dropped 60 to 70 per cent of the time, Mr. Murie said. MADD hopes "they are going to close that loophole," he said.

Second, he said, police may be given the right to demand that any driver who is involved in a crash be tested to determine if they had consumed more than the allowable level of alcohol.

And third, a private member's bill currently before the House that would create a separate offence for someone whose blood alcohol limit is below .08 but above .05 per cent may be added to the legislation. It was introduced by a Conservative from British Columbia and Mr. Harper could turn that into a government-backed proposal, Mr. Murie said.

He will be anxiously awaiting the full announcement, he said. If all of the suggested initiatives are introduced by the government, Mr. Murie said, "I will be on cloud nine."

I don't know if this has been posted yet, but thought it was interesting. I see a lot of problems with the legislation.
How are they going to test you for pot? Can I smoke a joint and 2 weeks later get in my car and get convicted? What about 8 hours earlier? Who decides how long it takes to sober up from pot?
I think it's going to be a huge clusterfuck for the courts.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineJoelLoveland5
Giant Reptile
Male

Re: Drug Driving [Re: Irradiated_Feces]
    #6278440 - 11/13/06 11:06 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

hows that work?

--------------------
Newb Friendly Tek for The Lazy by "Hydro420"
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/5278987/an/0/page/0

Great Newb Friendly Cloning Tek by "Creamcorn"
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5874305#5874305

One Goal, One Passion - Joel Loveland

"Dont Be Wise In Your Own Opinions"

Offlinesome1whoisntme
Stranger

Re: Drug Driving [Re: JoelLoveland5]
    #6278535 - 11/13/06 11:40 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

This is especially a problem with pot. If I go a week without smoking then a few big rips will get me stoned for hours. If I'm smoking 5 times a day the same amount would give me a little buzz for 45 minutes. I think testing people for motor coordination and reaction time is ok, but testing for substances is not just because substances affect people differently, and even affect the same person differently at different times.

--------------------
"Ignore the distortion you're forced to percieve and believe that what supercedes is love, but who agrees?"

OfflinePlok
Life is fractal
Male

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: Drug Driving [Re: some1whoisntme]
    #6278574 - 11/13/06 11:57 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

I fully agree. Test people's driving capability / motor skills. Whatever chemicals they have in their body are irrelevant if their motor skills and judgement are not effected. This is going to be impossible to effectively enforce and is going to cause a lot of people a lot of headaches.

--------------------
Just say NO to the War on Drugs.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds