Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePurple_spore
Compulsively Skeptical OG
Male User Gallery

Loc: nor cal Flag
I.D. needed for Cyanescens or possible look-alike
    #6254065 - 11/06/06 03:40 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

OK now I know there are alot of i.d. requests for cyans that look nothing like them but i almost shit myself by stumbling apon these gorgeous mushrooms wile checking out some coprinus i saw from a distance in a nursing home yard area. High purple brown/blackish spore deposits are what caught my eye then i discover they have white stems and VERY wavy caps mature specimens margins are completely vertical and all are highly hygrophorus tan/yellowish brown in drying but then i lost 2/3 of my hope and excitement when i saw no bluing reaction any where. so here the proper description

Habitat: in retirement home lawn, very well manicured in close proximity to a species of coprinus

Gills: when young mostly grayish/Smokey with a hint or purple turning purple chocolate brown gills are fairly close, appear detached on some and a 90 degree angle on others

Stem: White and hollow, pretty fragile, shallow grooves run along the entire stipe not very thick 1/8th in to 1/4in thick

Cap: ranging from light brownish tan to tanish yellow brown color changes when drying and starts at the center spreading towards margin, very wavy margin often vertical most mature caps are completely curved and have small lines on the edges no bruising noticed, 1 1/3 - 4 in

Spore print color: dark purple brown/blackish.

Bruising: No color change was observed witch is my main deterrent

If these are not cyanescens these are a DAMN GOOD LOOK-ALIKE. I've never even seen a picture a of a mushroom with such wavy caps( except cyan's) let alone any of the common poisonous look alikes. but no bruising in any of them, if i saw a clear picture of these my first guess would be cyans. I am very curious to know what kind of mushroom this is if only to be able to identify, in my opinion, the closest look alike to a cyan. dark purple brown spores for Christs sake. but now I'm at about ten percent because they are fairly large and don't show any blue but maybe someone can steer me in the right direction. Thank you

p.s. sorry for the shitty pics when i figure out this digicam i'll try for better pics.

one step close to the magic

--------------------
Safety first children :thumbup:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinethetonebone72
Hunter -Gatherer
 User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
Re: I.D. needed for Cyanescens or possible look-alike [Re: Purple_spore]
    #6254106 - 11/06/06 03:46 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

They look like inactive psathyrella to me. Keep hunting!

--------------------
Hunt On, Good Fellow

OfflinePurple_spore
Male User Gallery

Re: I.D. needed for Cyanescens or possible look-alike [Re: thetonebone72]
    #6254282 - 11/06/06 04:28 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks That would explain how fragile they are and i've read certain spices have purple brown spores and are difficult to identify because of high variability.I'm searching for pictures of very wavy psathyrella's most i see have a sheet like shape with genital curves not vertically facing edges but Im sure i'll find a picture showing extreme curving. thank you!

The more i calm down a take closer looks at pictures of cyans( i wish i could look at the real thing) the more i see dissimalarity but i still retain the statment that they look alot like cyans epecaly if all your running of are pictures. but i greatly appreciate you responce, soon i will have genuine athentic psilocybe cyanescens

took this from mushroom johns website
the gills of cyans look clearly more cinnomon brown and not dark brown like the mushrooms i have picked

--------------------

Edited by Purple_spore (11/06/06 04:45 PM)

Offlinethetonebone72
Hunter -Gatherer
 User Gallery

#6254377 - 11/06/06 04:49 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

try Psathyrella candolleana. They vary in color a lot within the same patch. I've got a patch growing off a buried stump at my apt. bldg. They fruit just about anytime it gets wet out. They were running the sprinklers all summer and that patch fruited at least 4 times.

--------------------
Hunt On, Good Fellow

OfflinePurple_spore
Male User Gallery

Re: I.D. needed for Cyanescens or possible look-alike [Re: thetonebone72]
    #6255566 - 11/06/06 09:55 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

It's a very complex genus. candolleana is not it for i've found the mushroom on lawns too and the thickness of the caps are very thin and the stem usually small. I don't think i will discover exactly what this is. I hope someone learns something from this.

"By a logical process I do not pretend to understand, other authors expanded Psathyrella (Fr. Quél.) into a huge genus, incorporating part of Hypholoma (Fr. Quél.) and all of Psathyra (Fr. Quél.). The original Psathyrella type species disseminata, after spending a while in Pseudocoprinus (Kummer), has been reabsorbed into Coprinus in most modern books. This appears to demonstrate again that current mycologists don't really care about macroscopic features, since the principal reason Fries separated Ps. disseminata in the first place was that it does not deliquesce. Why they would completely change the definition of a Friesian genus (and pretend that the Rules of Nomenclature somehow justify it) escapes me. If one can both change the type species and eliminate the original one from a genus, the new genus can have no overlap with the old one, as occurred for Psathyrella. How could people want it to have the same name, and why would they devise Rules that would make this happen?"

"Modern Psathyrella has spores that vary from blackish through brown, purplish brown, and pinkish gray (so spore color doesn't help much to tell if a species is a Psathyrella), but apparently browns in the yellow-to-orange range are excluded. Other characteristics are a veil that varies from absent to copious and persistent (so veil characteristics don't help either), a cap surface that varies from smooth to grooved all the way to hairy (also of no use), a stem that is "usually" fragile and whitish, and complex combinations of microscopic features. This genus concept obviously has nothing whatsoever to do with what Quélet was talking about in 1872-3 (he recognized both Hypholoma and Psathyra), so calling the genus Quélet's modification of Fries's name without giving a reference is only confusing. It solved some other nomenclatural problems: Hypholoma was hopelessly diverse, containing both the species people want to call Naematoloma now, and ones that are Psathyrella. I have not seen what was wrong with the name Psathyra. Quélet used Drosophila for a united genus in 1886, but it was later declared to be an invalid name, although no one I have read has bothered to say why. I hesitate to think that the fact that it is used for a genus of fruit flies has anything to do with it."

http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Trails/7331/psathyrella/

so me focusing on purple brown spores or it being hygrophorus is fruitless for this genius is not distinguished by that.No blue clearly means not cyanescens and 4" caps that fall apart from just walking home are clear macroscopic differences. I still can't find any thing on the waviness in the caps. Now i know, and maybe if someone came across this mushroom this post might serve a purpose.

--------------------

Edited by Purple_spore (11/06/06 09:57 PM)

Offlinethetonebone72
Hunter -Gatherer
 User Gallery

#6255877 - 11/06/06 11:14 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

:rolleyes:

--------------------
Hunt On, Good Fellow

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies