Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Boomr Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineEWalter69
Stranger

Substrate directly on perlite?
    #6220664 - 10/28/06 10:45 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

I am doing a casing and was wondering if adding the crumbled substrate directly on top of a perlite layer at the bottom of the chamber is a good idea. I couldn't find a definitive answer in the grow guides on this site.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePrimate
former addict
 User Gallery

Re: Substrate directly on perlite? [Re: EWalter69]
    #6220694 - 10/28/06 11:02 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

I'd go with no. that could open you up to more contams, Like it does a cake.

Also it kinda defeats the purpose of the casing layer(to provide a good micro climate for pinning) since without a container for the casing you are going to get side pinning.

So it'd basically just be like a cake cased on one side.

-Prim

--------------------
"Power to the peaceful"

-Micheal Franti and Spearhead

Invisibleemeryg89
Are we God yet?
 User Gallery

Loc: la madre Gaia
Re: Substrate directly on perlite? [Re: Primate]
    #6220701 - 10/28/06 11:06 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Through experimentation, one has crumbled nearly dead, dry cakes onto moist perlite. The mycelium revived, overtaking the perlite, and plent of mushrooms actually grew through the perlite. Another method was tried with mixing the crumbled cake with the perlite. This too worked, but both methods produce inferior results.

OfflineEWalter69
Stranger

Re: Substrate directly on perlite? [Re: emeryg89]
    #6220768 - 10/28/06 11:33 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Should I put casing material between the perlite and the substrate then? (I have a bag of jiffy mix)

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #6220807 - 10/28/06 11:47 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Do NOT put a substrate directly on perlite. It will become waterlogged and performance will suffer.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflinePrimate
former addict
 User Gallery

Re: Substrate directly on perlite? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6220824 - 10/28/06 11:56 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

you should put your substrate(colonized grain or PF tek substrate) into a plastic or tin container. then your casing layer should go on top of your colonized substrate(about .4 inches thick). then the whole container goes inside your fruiting chamber, where it(the container) sits on top of your perlite.

Make sure your substrate depth is close to 2 inches deep.

-Prim

--------------------
"Power to the peaceful"

OfflineEWalter69
Stranger

Re: Substrate directly on perlite? [Re: Primate]
    #6220875 - 10/28/06 12:25 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

My casing is going to be done in a plastic bin. Suppose I put a sterlized piece of carboard/tin foil on top of the wet perlite, then put casing mix/substrate/casing mix on top of that? Or, since I'm doing a single casing in a tub, should I just forget the perlite?

Edited by EWalter69 (10/28/06 12:44 PM)

OfflinePrimate
former addict
 User Gallery

#6220911 - 10/28/06 12:53 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

there's no point. you'll be fruiting it just like a PF cake, with one side cased. You can either :

a: do as i said in my last post.

b: fill the entire bottom of your fruiting chamber tub with your substrate, then case it. Using no perlite. This is a mono-tub tek..search for mono tub and you'll find alot of info.

Like i said u can put yer casing just on tinfoil. but this is gonna mostly nullify the perlite anyway. perlite needs surface area to provide humidity. if you cover it all with foil there really isnt much point. Also like i said earlier you dont want the sides of your substrate exposed to light. just the top casing layer. because pins will form on the sides of your substrate; which the point of a casing layer is to make the pins form on the casing layer...not the sides of your substrate. this is because the casing layer provides a better enviroment to get good pinsets then just uncased substrate. This is why u want your casings in some sort of containers. so they can only pin on the cased part of your substrate.

Your casing should be in something like this:

then that tray should be put on top of your perlite.

-Prim

--------------------
"Power to the peaceful"

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Boomr Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom