Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineAlprazolom
Misfit
Female

Loc: Manchester
Easiest way to regulate temperature in a closet.
    #6209494 - 10/25/06 03:32 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

My room temperature is around 60-63F. I am not going to go into detail but I need to have it so my closet is always around 80F.

What sort of device can I get that would detect the temp and then do X when it drops below a certain point?

I have a portable greenhouse (martha w/o the humidifier) in the closet.
Would 80F be good for both incubation and fruiting casings?

--------------------

My first grow. Thanks all.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offline5t3v3
sirsmokesalot
Male User Gallery

Re: Easiest way to regulate temperature in a closet. [Re: Alprazolom]
    #6209509 - 10/25/06 03:51 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

electric blankets stay at a constant temp

thats what i use.

InvisibleTheEnd
Strange Daze

Re: Easiest way to regulate temperature in a closet. [Re: 5t3v3]
    #6209519 - 10/25/06 04:05 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Gotta be careful with electric blankets, make sure the cord is in good condition and that it isn't resting on anything flammable. Other than that, I'd suggest using a TiT setup.

80F is too warm for fruiting, you don't want to be any warmer than about 76F, the warmer the temp the higher risk of contams. For incubating, you want it around 82-84F(optimally), but 80F would work just fine.

Since you have a martha, you might want to use that for fruiting, and build a TiT for incubating. That way you can set both fruiting and incubating temps to suit your needs.

I'm sure there are many other options, those are just the ones that come to mind.

:peace:

--------------------

Offlinesurfster
Stranger

Re: Easiest way to regulate temperature in a closet. [Re: TheEnd]
    #6209824 - 10/25/06 08:02 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

while it might not heat up a whole closet, a aquarium heater with thermostat has been able to keep my TiT at a nice 81F. Im sure that there is some sort of thermostat timer that you could attach to a space heater, turn on when too low, off when just right. Try google

Offline_OttO_
Over Stimulated
 User Gallery

Loc: Up Over
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Easiest way to regulate temperature in a closet. [Re: surfster]
    #6209870 - 10/25/06 08:34 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Get a El cheapo light from the homewears dept at Kmart or similar, and put that in their with a 60W light globe in it. It'll bring the temp up nicely AND provide the light source for your babies...

I used a 75W globe over winter and my closet sat at a nice 28C...

Dont forget the ariflow though!

OfflineAlprazolom
Misfit
Female

Loc: Manchester
Re: Easiest way to regulate temperature in a closet. [Re: _OttO_]
    #6210366 - 10/25/06 11:40 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

No. Right now I'm using a regular heater but the problem is that the main heater in my house will be on and off and I have no control over what room it is on in. I don't want to get into the details but the point is that I am usually too busy to be checking the temp and turning a separate heater/lamp on or off. This is why I want it to be automated.

I'm not much of an electrical engineer, and while I have many friends who are capable of doing this, I don't want to get them involved.

Would just rigging up a sensor that keeps the temperature constant be expensive/hard?

--------------------

My first grow. Thanks all.

InvisibleDihnekis
Stranger
Male
    #6210374 - 10/25/06 11:47 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

a

Edited by Dihnekis (11/11/08 08:32 AM)

Offlinechickenmaster
Topic Killer

Re: Easiest way to regulate temperature in a closet. [Re: Dihnekis]
    #6211395 - 10/25/06 05:29 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

I got lucky. We moved into our new apartment a couple months ago, right before I decided to pick up this hobby. In our apartment, there is a closet right in the middle of the living with two doors, and in this closet is the furnace and hot water heater. At the time, we thought it sucked because there were two doors right in the middle of our house that don't go anywhere.

It turns out, it has a spot just big enough for a FC, and that closet the might as well have been made to be temp controlled. By leaving the doors cracked in varying degrees, I can control the temperature in there pretty accurately. When both doors are closed, it stays between 92 - 95 (too high for my purposes). When I crack the far door, the temp stays between 79 - 84 (perfect for incubation), and when I crack both doors, the temp stays between 70-75 (perfect for fruiting).

I don't know if you have a utility closet like that, but if you do, you could check if that closet would work at all like mine.

--------------------
All of the above is complete and total fiction, and is just my pathetic attempt to fit in.

OfflineRoosterCogburn
Fearless,one-eyed U.S.Marshall
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dirty South, NJ
Re: Easiest way to regulate temperature in a closet. [Re: chickenmaster]
    #6211448 - 10/25/06 05:43 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

I don't know if you have a utility closet like that

haha... I'm not sure anyone has one quite like that! I just pictured you cracking doors, checking temp, moving the door a bit, checking temp. You must get REALLY pissed if someone closes the doors! Bye bye mushies ~ 95!

My kegerator has a temperature controlled on/off thingy. It's a converted freezer pluged into this thingy that turns on or off at certain temps. It's only for cold temps, but I'm sure they make something for higher ranges... I have no idea where I got it tho, the kegerator is OLD.

Invisiblemusher_420
Stranger

#6211516 - 10/25/06 05:59 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Go to Walmart or any other department store and you should be able to find small space heaters that some with a thermostat you can program. They aren't overly pricey. I've also seen little thermostats you can plug into the wall set for a temperature then just plug your heating device into the thermostat. Not sure where exactly to find this..look at a petstore perhaps or just google it.

--------------------
My Humidifier Reservoir Expansion Tek

Must read links for beginners

Btw- You are not what you own!

Offlinebftiedt
Male User Gallery

Re: Easiest way to regulate temperature in a closet. [Re: musher_420]
    #6211545 - 10/25/06 06:06 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

run some kind of small portable heater in front of the closet and just hook a thermostat to the heater ( they have them at home depot they are with the portable heaters ,not with the ones you have to wire for you house, the just have a place to plug the small heater into it) and then just hang the thermostat inside your closet and it will keep heating until it reaches whatever temp you set it for and then it should maintain it for you.

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

Re: Easiest way to regulate temperature in a closet. [Re: bftiedt]
    #6211671 - 10/25/06 06:34 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

I'm kinda leery of space heaters,If I'm not mistaken cant the start fires,My luck my cat would knock something down in front of it and I would come home to a half burned room and a bunch of fireman and cops looking at my greenhouse,No thanks I would rather crank up the heat even if it means me roasting and having to open the windows in the middle of winter to cool myself off if thats what it would take to get the temperature up in the greenhouse area

InvisibleTheEnd
Strange Daze

Re: Easiest way to regulate temperature in a closet. [Re: Blutjager]
    #6211857 - 10/25/06 07:35 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Blutjager said:
I'm kinda leery of space heaters,If I'm not mistaken cant the start fires,My luck my cat would knock something down in front of it and I would come home to a half burned room and a bunch of fireman and cops looking at my greenhouse,No thanks I would rather crank up the heat even if it means me roasting and having to open the windows in the middle of winter to cool myself off if thats what it would take to get the temperature up in the greenhouse area

Besides using by TiT for incubating, this is pretty much exactly what I have to do to keep my FC at good temps, I can't stand the heat, even 75F is way too hot for me, but it makes my mushies grow nice, so I put up with it, and I just crack my window every now and then so I don't burn up.

--------------------

InvisibleLayYouIn
Taurus
Male User Gallery

Loc: Organ
    #6211878 - 10/25/06 07:41 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

best thing to do, is add in a small stealth grow bow.

Invisiblemusher_420
Stranger

#6212017 - 10/25/06 08:22 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

g2_93integra_boy said:
Quote:

Blutjager said:

Besides using by TiT for incubating, this is pretty much exactly what I have to do to keep my FC at good temps, I can't stand the heat, even 75F is way too hot for me, but it makes my mushies grow nice, so I put up with it, and I just crack my window every now and then so I don't burn up.

I think you guys are being paranoid.  Cranking up the heat and opening a window is a HUGE waste of energy.  Although I'm sure space heaters have caused fires in the past there was probably good reason for it. 

Don't run appliances in parallel to one another (via a splitter into the same outlet)  Buy a quality heater that meets electrical safety standards and you will be fine.

--------------------
My Humidifier Reservoir Expansion Tek

Must read links for beginners

Btw- You are not what you own!

InvisibleDihnekis
Stranger
Male
    #6212148 - 10/25/06 08:57 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

x

Edited by Dihnekis (11/11/08 08:32 AM)

Offlinelogischerfreund
Stranger
Re: Easiest way to regulate temperature in a closet. [Re: Dihnekis]
    #6212187 - 10/25/06 09:09 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

i do my incubating in a clear plastic clothes closet (as well as my fruiting, albeit a separate one), and a ~$15 Holmes electric heater from walmart does a very nice job regulating temp in the incubation space. the fruiting clothes closet sits right next to the (heated) incubation closet, so enough heat transfer occurs to where i don't have to regulate fruiting temps.

create a "control volume" other than your closet for most efficient and consistent temps. ie don't heat the entire closet, just put a small heater in the greenhouse. works for me.

--------------------
Every war is a civil war.

InvisibleTheEnd
Strange Daze

Re: Easiest way to regulate temperature in a closet. [Re: musher_420]
    #6213015 - 10/26/06 04:11 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

musher_420 said:
I think you guys are being paranoid.  Cranking up the heat and opening a window is a HUGE waste of energy.

I never said that I keep the window open...I open the window for like a minute so that I can breathe some fresh air instead of humid hot air all day. I know it's a waste of energy, thats why I only have my heater on for 10 mins max each day, once temps are up, my computer keeps the room heated fairly well for the rest of the day. I use a lot less energy running my built in heater for 10 mins, than using a space heater for hours just to hold temps at 76F. Although as the weather gets colder, it's harder to keep my room at 76F for very long, temps have been around 70-73F the last few days.

--------------------

Offlineshroom_me
Stranger
Male

Loc: Usa
    #6213041 - 10/26/06 04:46 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

i hear that if you just go and inccubate at room temp(70 F) it will still work but take twice as long, but one upside i hear of doing it this way is the psilibin levels are higher in the mushies! :wink:

OfflineRoosterCogburn
Fearless,one-eyed U.S.Marshall
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dirty South, NJ
Re: Easiest way to regulate temperature in a closet. [Re: LayYouIn]
    #6213385 - 10/26/06 09:16 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

LayYouIn said:

That's a mighty big light for mushies...  :grin: :stoned:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale