Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisiblePhish_Dude
steppin' into yesterday
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: secret tweeker pad Flag
How can mushrooms grow outside in a non-sterile environment?
    #6203623 - 10/23/06 08:06 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Ive been wondering about this for a while and I'm sure that I'm not the only one who wonders: how do mushrooms grow naturally outside in a non sterile environment? It makes no sense to me, there is no way that it is naturally sterile. I'm so confused please help! :confused:

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDihnekis
Stranger
Male
Re: How can mushrooms grow outside in a non-sterile environment? [Re: Phish_Dude]
    #6203686 - 10/23/06 08:16 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

k

Edited by Dihnekis (11/11/08 08:29 AM)

Offlinemycofiliac
Known before asSpaceman
Male
Loc: Children of the corn
Re: How can mushrooms grow outside in a non-sterile environment? [Re: Dihnekis]
    #6203878 - 10/23/06 08:58 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

If conditions are right mushrooms will grow outside, but I wouldn't consider growing outside due to the fact that in most locations you only have about 1-2 months of growing before the temp and/or humidity are not at levels needed for fruiting. The great outdoors is not sterile but the ground absorbs excess moisture and the wind carries away what cannot be absored. you rarely see mold growing outdoors as it rarely has time and the right conditions to germinate. If you took fully colonised substrate andstarted an outdoor grow there is little chance that mold would take over before you got through a few flushes

--------------------
Swimming in the environment

OfflineCotg8520
Stranger
Re: How can mushrooms grow outside in a non-sterile environment? [Re: mycofiliac]
    #6203903 - 10/23/06 09:03 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

I've made outdoor patches that lasted for at least a month off of just crumbling up pf cakes, and "casing" them with plain cow manure. Just keep the manure rather moist, but not soaking wet, and it will keep the bits of pf cake moist enough to fruit. The bits of pf cake didn't actually colonize the cow poo, so Im guessing you could use whatever you wanted, within reasonable limits. My guess is that it just absorbed moisture (rich in nutes, I'd guess as well) through the cow manure, and was able to fruit from it somehow or another. They were mostly small and ugly looking, but they did infact grow, and as far as potency goes they weren't too bad.

InvisibleUnderNose
all out of bubble gum
 User Gallery

Re: How can mushrooms grow outside in a non-sterile environment? [Re: Phish_Dude]
    #6203941 - 10/23/06 09:10 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

When we try to grow shrooms inside straight away you are providing a environment that molds & spores from other other fungus will thrive in.
This it why you have to give your mushroom spores the best possible chance of growing by sterilizing & pasteurizing everything.
If you don't all of the other organisms & spores that are harmful to the colonization of the mycelium will claim the substrate, LC, whatever for itself

Think about it where do you see mold.

Humid, Warm, Dark places.

Houses, rooms, cupboards are full of dust particles that contain many types of "contaminants"

But outside mother nature and all her microbes, UV rays & tonnes of fresh air keeps molds & other things under control.
The topsoil , grass, & sometimes cow poo or wood chips/mulch provide a casing layer.

Natural life cycle of the mushroom ensures that there will always be a patch there, As long as let plenty of spores fall
Plus there is a massive symbiotic relationship between animals & mushrooms.
The mycelia networks & trees, grass, soil, that I don't fully understand yet.
It's like the brain of the earth.

--------------------
LAGM 2.022

:dna::dna:

Edited by UnderNose (10/23/06 09:21 PM)

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: How can mushrooms grow outside in a non-sterile environment? [Re: UnderNose]
    #6204258 - 10/23/06 10:23 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

In nature, there is a balance. We have no way to re-create this indoors, so we use sterile technique.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

InvisiblemrEdude
enemy of the state

Loc: Canada
Re: How can mushrooms grow outside in a non-sterile environment? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6204456 - 10/23/06 11:06 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Yes I was thinking about this today actually. In nature all the non-viable situations are eliminated and only the optimum mycological meanderings will thrive. Natural selection, if you will.

We get failures because our control of the environment is less than perfect (for most of us, anyway), and so despite our best efforts, we don't always manage to perfectly repllicate what a spore needs to spawn.

We get LESS aborts than nature because we do have a lot of control over the environment, but most of us don't have TOTAL control, and as happens in nature our efforts are thwarted.

"you call it rain but the human name doesn't mean shit to a tree"
-jefferson airplane, eskimo blue day 1970

OfflineCryogenicz
what?
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
Re: How can mushrooms grow outside in a non-sterile environment? [Re: mrEdude]
    #6204661 - 10/23/06 11:54 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

you know what, one time I inoculated some bags with straw in them with some oyster spawn, they colonized with green mold and I put them outside, and the green dissapeared and the bags fruited... like RR said, in nature, there is a balance.

--------------------
www.MycoPath.com
Mushroom Spawn, Cultures, Fungi Bags, Casings, Master Grain Jars, Bags for In-vitro, Laboratory supplies, and much more!
Mushroom Supplies. Fast Turnaround Times. Great Service.
orders@mycopath.com
enter code shroomery for 10% off product.

www.FungiForum.com

Offlinezathan
Buttstuff
 User Gallery
Loc: So long stinktown
Re: How can mushrooms grow outside in a non-sterile environment? [Re: UnderNose]
    #6204853 - 10/24/06 12:54 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

UnderNose said:

Natural life cycle of the mushroom ensures that there will always be a patch there, As long as let plenty of spores fall
Plus there is a massive symbiotic relationship between animals & mushrooms.
The mycelia networks & trees, grass, soil, that I don't fully understand yet.
It's like the brain of the earth.

The fungi kingdom and the plant kingdom depend on each other. As a plant/tree dies, it decomposes into the earth. The composted plant remains feed a mycelium network. When the mycelium colony dies, the decomposed (digested dirt/dead mycelia) fertilizes the dirt where a plant grows again. Vegetation manure is also a part of this.

OfflineBioColonel08
Male User Gallery

Loc: Inside my own head
    #16280709 - 05/24/12 09:13 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Mushrooms grow where the right temp, light, soil, and moisture conditions are right.  Thats why mushrooms only grow in certain areas but not everywhere. 

When we grow indoors we provide the perfect habitat for mushrooms, we keep them sterile to keep mold and bacteria from outcompeting the mushrooms for nutrients. 

You only see muhrooms where they "are" but look at all the places that look good for mushrooms but dont have any.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds