Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleAlteredAgain
Visual Alchemist
 User Gallery

Loc: Solar Circuit
Patriotism
    #6202120 - 10/23/06 02:48 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

salute the flag, sing the anthem, hang a flag above your front door, be proud to be a Merican.

^patriotism in its finest form of presentation.

burning a flag, sitting down during a salute, not voting, not supporting a war that is in the name of liberty..

^not patriotic, or un-patriotic.

the philosophy of patriotism.

it is my opinion that the act of being "un-patriotic" is exactly that which so greatly displays that which we all hold so dear, freedom, freedom to disagree, freedom to not support, conform, salute, freedom not to fight, freedom to do just that what freedom represents, what we the people represent. :heart:

what does the P&S forum think?

:earth: :yinyang: :shineon:

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: Patriotism [Re: AlteredAgain]
    #6202183 - 10/23/06 03:04 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Personally I don't identify myself with any groups. Citizen of the Tao I am. :wink:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

OfflineAjna4201
DidgeridooExtraordinaire
Male

Re: Patriotism [Re: Icelander]
    #6202203 - 10/23/06 03:08 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

I agree. I think the fact that we have the freedom to not support, and not be proud of our country is one of the things that makes the USA so great. The USA is so dear to me because I have the dear, dear freedom to not like it very much.

...wait.

Edited by Ajna4201 (10/23/06 03:10 PM)

OfflineSoggy_Donuts
MudHead

#6202439 - 10/23/06 04:01 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

"Naturally the common people don't want war; neither in Russia, nor in England, nor in America, nor in Germany. That is understood. But after all, it is the leaders of the country who determine policy, and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is to tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country" - Hermann Goering

"No matter that patriotism is too often the refuge of scoundrels. Dissent, rebellion, and all-around hell-raising remain the true duty of patriots" - Barbara Ehrenreich

InvisibleAlteredAgain
Visual Alchemist
 User Gallery

Re: Patriotism [Re: Icelander]
    #6202462 - 10/23/06 04:04 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:
Personally I don't identify myself with any groups. Citizen of the Tao I am. :wink:

i'm merely putting myself in the position of an American, personally down to the core of my ego, i am a human being. :grin:

Quote:

Ajna4201  said:I agree. I think the fact that we have the freedom to not support, and not be proud of our country is one of the things that makes the USA so great. The USA is so dear to me because I have the dear, dear freedom to not like it very much.

I also think that patriotism, just as any -ism can be, has the potential to become dictatorial as soon as it shuns those who freely disagree.

praise or denounce, it's choice. :sun:

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #6202477 - 10/23/06 04:08 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Burn all of the flags you want. If you can't defile and desecrate a country's most sacred symbols then it isn't a country worth supporting, HOWEVER, these days I am finding it hard to support any country including my own. There is too much fighting and killing going on in the world, and my country is sponsoring much of it. Way too many people are allowing themselves to be manipulated by fear. I think that we should take John Lennon's advice and give peace a chance. In the end the only way that I can change the world is by changing myself, so that is where my focus lies.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

InvisibleAlteredAgain
Visual Alchemist
 User Gallery

Re: Patriotism [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #6202492 - 10/23/06 04:11 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Huehuecoyotl said:
Burn all of the flags you want. If you can't defile and desecrate a country's most sacred symbols then it isn't a country worth supporting, HOWEVER, these days I am finding it hard to support any country including my own. There is too much fighting and killing going on in the world, and my country is sponsoring much of it. Way too many people are allowing themselves to be manipulated by fear. I think that we should take John Lennon's advice and give peace a chance. In the end the only way that I can change the world is by changing myself, so that is where my focus lies.

well said :heart:

:earth: :yinyang: :shineon:

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #6202504 - 10/23/06 04:15 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

I used to be an Infantry soldier years ago. Then I was so conditioned that I had faith in my leaders, and I thought my country would only lay my life on the line for the noblest of causes. Thank God that I never went to war because now I know that those bastards would have sacrificed me for a few gallons of gas...

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#6203284 - 10/23/06 06:55 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Acting on that is where power lies. And if you really want to change the world it is also in that one act. :thumbup:

--------------------

OfflineBasilides
Servent ofWisdom
Male User Gallery

Loc: Crown and Heart
    #6203947 - 10/23/06 09:10 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

It's only fun during the FIFA World Cup

--------------------

"Have you found the beginning, then, that you are looking for the end? You see, the end will be where the beginning is. Congratulations to the one who stands at the beginning: that one will know the end and will not taste death."

InvisibleAlteredAgain
Visual Alchemist
 User Gallery

Re: Patriotism [Re: Basilides]
    #6204019 - 10/23/06 09:26 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

i know right, last summer german nationalism soared, before the WC2006 one would never EVER see a german flag sticking out of the backdoor window of a car.

the germans were proud, even though they didn't quite make it to the end. :smile:

--------------------

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

Loc: Between
    #6205391 - 10/24/06 09:13 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

As a patriot, I feel that if my 'leaders' do something obviously bad for my country, I have to stand up and protest (do something) against it.
But all in all, earth is my home. I just don't like people who ruin the place where I stay.

--------------------
Though lovers be lost love shall not  And death shall have no dominion
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."Martin Luther King, Jr.
'Acceptance is the absolute key - at that moment you gain freedom and you gain power and you gain courage'

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: Patriotism [Re: BlueCoyote]
    #6205806 - 10/24/06 11:12 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

:thumbup: yes

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder