Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineAlprazolom
Misfit
Female

Loc: Manchester
50/50+ question. Aren't oyster shell, limestone and calcium carbonate the same thing?
    #6191988 - 10/20/06 05:55 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

I know they aren't exactly the same, but in

http://www.shroomery.org/54/50-50-Casing-Tek

"The addition of limestone and crushed oyster shell to the 50/50 mix makes a huge difference."

Why is oyster shell added? Isn't it added as a buffer, just like limestone (calcium carbonate)? Why does he say the addition of both makes a huge difference?

Also, he says:
"Hi Yield brand is our preference and works great for us. But just to play it on the safe side, we are going to suggest you buy calcium carbonate. A ground calcium carbonate is a gentle buffer. Some brands of hydrated lime are not. Calcium carbonate is basically ground up limestone, a soil sweetener. It works just as good if not better then horticultural hydrated lime. Its a much safer bet as well. You should be able to find calcium carbonate in just about any garden supply store."

Now is calcium carbonate an alternative for hydrated lime? In the 'exact mix' he uses peat moss, crushed oyster shell and hydrated lime. Do I substitute both, the 4.5 cups oyster shell AND 1.2 cups hydrated lime w/ 5.7 cups of calcium carbonate?

--------------------

My first grow. Thanks all.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinezeegos
Shroomagator
 User Gallery

Loc: bat country
Re: 50/50+ question. Aren't oyster shell, limestone and calcium carbonate the same thing? [Re: Alprazolom]
    #6192005 - 10/20/06 06:00 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

limestone is made up of tiny shelled organisms from millions of years worth of deposits (im sure) therefor there more or less the same. Calcium carbonate is the name of the compound that makes up the majority of limestone and shell. i would think they can all be used for the same purpose

OfflineWronguy
Trusted Cultivator
Re: 50/50+ question. Aren't oyster shell, limestone and calcium carbonate the same thing? [Re: Alprazolom]
    #6192042 - 10/20/06 06:09 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Limestone is comprised of the mineral calcite otherwise known as calcium carbonate, so they are one in the same. Oyster shell flour is 93%+ calcium carbonate, so it has about the same impact as limestone.

Hydrated lime is not the same as limestone (calcium carbonate). Hydrated lime (calcium hydroxide) is a quick lime that quickly becomes active when water is introduced to lower PH.

The 50/50+ recipe needs some overhaul and rewording.

OfflineCotg8520
Stranger
Re: 50/50+ question. Aren't oyster shell, limestone and calcium carbonate the same thing? [Re: Wronguy]
    #6192077 - 10/20/06 06:20 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

I thought the purpose of CaCO3(CO3 = carbonate right?) was partially to help with the pH levels, but it had a lot to do with the texture of the substrate or spawn or whatever it's used in (I.E.: helps reduce the ammount of 'lumps' in your substrate to allow for better colonization). Is that not true? Probably not so for the 50/50+ tek since it's just a casing layer, and casing layers are not supposed to be colonized (much if at all). Though it probably is a pH buffer in 50/50+ because I hear peat is rather (acidic i think). But that is it's purpose in substrates too, right?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates