Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleMovingTarget

Loc: temporary
My cakes may be too dry?
    #6191109 - 10/20/06 01:38 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

While there is the long thin strands of growth, which I read is a good sign, I cant see much condensation or pools of water in any of the glass incubating. How would I know if they are too dry? Is
there any safe way to moisten them up?

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFraggin
Multi-Faceted
 User Gallery

Re: My cakes may be too dry? [Re: MovingTarget]
    #6191271 - 10/20/06 02:16 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

I'm just curious how you could ask this kind of question with 3,947 posts under your belt and being a 2 year member.
Not trying to be an ass or anything.

InvisibleTheEnd
Strange Daze

Re: My cakes may be too dry? [Re: Fraggin]
    #6191291 - 10/20/06 02:21 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

lol, I thought the same thing.

--------------------

InvisibleMovingTarget

Re: My cakes may be too dry? [Re: TheEnd]
    #6191342 - 10/20/06 02:34 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

I've been taking and hunting mushrooms for many more years than I've been growing them. I only became interesting in the growing after the law changed in my country. Just because I have a few posts
doesnt mean I grow. Just because I'm obsessed with psychedelics, doesnt mean I grow.

I've grown a couple times before, and each time has been different. Once with a different ratio using jars I no longer have, and the other with a premade casing.

You guys are a bit naive about this site.

--------------------

OfflineFraggin
Multi-Faceted
 User Gallery

#6191474 - 10/20/06 03:03 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

There are conflictin opinions on pf tek jars' moisture content.
IF, you followed the pf tek, your jars should be fine.
Understanding what field capacity is, will help you in the long run when preparing substrates.
If your jars are colonizing, then chances are, they will continue mycelium growth.
When you birth the cakes, follow the dunk tek if you think they are dry.
If they stop completely, you can birth the cake, cut off the uncolonized portion and then dunk. (some will disagree)
If you feel comfortable injecting a couple of CC's of sterilized water, that will increase moisture content. (some will say you are inviting contams if you do this)
If you are sure that your spores have germinated, then you can inject a couple of cc's of water with 3% h2o2 (some will disagree)
If you see mycelium growth, chances are the moisture content and humidity level (near 100%) are correct and everything is fine (some will disagree)
Though you may only see a small bit of myceilum, chances are, the insides have just as much or more mycelium than what is visible
All of this can be found by searching for
Dry Cakes
Cakes too dry
Adding Water
Injecting Water
Jar Moisture

I'm not sure what you mean by bein naive about this site unless you are indicating that we know nothing about this site, do not know of the information or lack of information on this site, are
inexperienced about this site, etc..
All of which can be easily assumed, presumed, assimilated, duplicated, imitated, or created....

There is a wealth of knowledge on this site, and a wealth of mis-information which is usually denounced or corrected in the next post or a coorelating thread. Having all of the known is pretty
useless
unless you define the unknown, the same goes with the right and wrong way of doing things... If someone identifies the right way, there will always be a variance of the right way, which makes the
correct way, the partiall incorrect way. I agree that lots of info my be credited and discredited, facts must be proven and misproven and theories must be tested and confirmed. A pie is not a pie
until it is sliced, or is it? The pie of knowledge always has slices that change according to facts.
There are facts known, facts unknown, and unknown facts that are unknown...

InvisibleMovingTarget

Re: My cakes may be too dry? [Re: Fraggin]
    #6191515 - 10/20/06 03:09 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

First of all, thanks for that helpfull advice.

Secondly, I said naive because you assumed that its the norm for people here with a few thousand posts to be very experienced in growing mushrooms.

Finally, I was only askin for a little advice man!

--------------------

Offlinedigitalpleasure
Scoff 'm shrooms
Male
Loc: UK
    #6191538 - 10/20/06 03:16 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Im pretty new to this too but id guess if you knew they were too dry (i dont know how youd go about knowing, hopefully someone else can help you out there, prob jus need a trained eye) but i think
the
best way would be either:

if you haven't got a well established mycelium network,id use a sterile syringe with distilled/sterile water similar too innoculating.

if you have a dry cake that has a good myc. network ie. ready for birthing you could try submerging it completly in water for 12-24 hours, no longer. Then put it into your terrarium.

Or place in terrarium directly ontop of saturated perlite.

But as i said im a newbie so you may want to wait for someone to back me up on this...

--------------------

Lol

OfflineFraggin
Multi-Faceted
 User Gallery

#6191541 - 10/20/06 03:17 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Sorry for being harsh.

Offlinedigitalpleasure
Scoff 'm shrooms
Male
Re: My cakes may be too dry? [Re: digitalpleasure]
    #6191557 - 10/20/06 03:21 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

too late :tongue: lol

--------------------

Lol

InvisibleMajorDick
notbeingadick
Male User Gallery

Loc: Westchestertonfieldville,... Flag
    #6191585 - 10/20/06 03:32 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

I found that funny.. For some reason I imagined Samuel L. Jackson towards the end of fraggins post..

What I'm sayin' is that there are known knowns, and that there are known UN-knowns, but there are also UNKNOWN UNKNOWNS.

what?..

What country are you from?

what?..

Or maybe I'm just obsessed with Pulp Fiction, The Boondocks, and Sam Jackson?

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence.

Yeah i only read this thread because I've had my jars unrefrigerated after steam sterilization for almost two weeks now. But I followed the tek when I prepared them, and they look exactly the same as
the day I made 'em.. so.. guess I'll find out :smile:

And the control jar still smells like play-dough, and its the only one thats been opened so I guess I'll see when I get my spores.

Offlinedigitalpleasure
Scoff 'm shrooms
Male
Re: My cakes may be too dry? [Re: MajorDick]
    #6191694 - 10/20/06 03:59 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

i love pulp fiction 2...but how u got samual l jackson outta da ill neva know!  :tongue2:

--------------------

Lol

OfflineCotg8520
Stranger
Re: My cakes may be too dry? [Re: digitalpleasure]
    #6192045 - 10/20/06 06:11 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

lol <3 @ pulp fiction. "I'm not worried about the coffee in my cup, I'm worried about the dead nigger in my garage, Jules!", "Aww, man. I just shot Marvin in the face.", and of corse "Jules, you give that fucking nimrod $1,500, and I'll shoot him just on principle..." "Chill out Yalonda, he ain't gonna do a goddamn motherfuckin' thing. Vince, Shut the fuck up! Now, point the gun at me, come on Yalonda, point the gun at me..."

But back to the shroomerz, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", so since you do have mycellium growth, I'd just let em wing at least till birth, then decide your intervention route.

Edited by Cotg8520 (10/20/06 06:13 PM)

InvisibleMovingTarget

Re: My cakes may be too dry? [Re: Cotg8520]
    #6193512 - 10/21/06 03:26 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Yea, i'll see how it goes.

Thanks again for all the help.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract