Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
The greatest band ever
    #6191012 - 10/20/06 01:17 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

I tried to upload some songs... i will try again later.

but yeah... Estradasphere = greatest band ever.

why? because once you listen to them, it is hard to respect many other musicians.

If you want to listen to them, you can get 25 free listens on Rhapsody.

Their latest album, Palace of Mirrors, is by far their best.

If you like metal, listen to flower garden of an evil man

if you like gypsy metal, listen to smuggled mutation

if you like nintendo covers, listen to Suer Buck II on the album Buck Fever.

If you like movie scores/ thatrical scores, listen to the song Palace of Mirrors.

If you like spaghetti westerns with metal featuring a Tsugaru shamisen, listen to Those that Know.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemr_kite
The Watcher
Male

Loc: shambhala
Re: The greatest band ever [Re: SneezingPenis]
    #6193570 - 10/21/06 05:03 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

I dont like them.

--------------------
let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of what you really love

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
Re: The greatest band ever [Re: mr_kite]
    #6193800 - 10/21/06 08:57 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

did you actually listen to them?

OfflineSyle
Kenai Sigh
 User Gallery

Loc: WA
    #6194412 - 10/21/06 01:56 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

musical appreciation isn't solely based in respect for the artists in their technical abilities.

--------------------
https://kenaisigh.bandcamp.com/ <- Just completed the 2021 RPM challenge for February - An EP in one month (5 songs or 20 minutes). Check it out!

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
Re: The greatest band ever [Re: Syle]
    #6194647 - 10/21/06 03:20 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

well.... people still win music competitions.

OfflineViveka
refutation bias
 User Gallery

Re: The greatest band ever [Re: Syle]
    #6195114 - 10/21/06 06:28 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

While technical ability is a merit in itself, "technical" music isn't good just because it's technical. My friend who listens mostly to 80's goth, new wave stuff and "experimental" (noise, basically) once told me that he thought I mostly listened to music because it's technical and not for the emotional aspect, while he chooses music based on the 'feeling' it gives him. I pointed out to him that this was a completely solipsistic and small minded perspective. Just because he has not accessed the emotional realms of music like Mahavishnu Orchestra or old Genesis or Steely Dan or Rush doesn't mean they aren't there.

Furthermore, and this is the bigger point. What band is going to be more capable of expressing a diverse range of emotion fully and effectively, a band with a very limited melodic expression and proficiency at their instruments, say Joy Division for instance, or a band with a well rounded vocabulary of musical styles and melody, impeccable grasp of working with odd rhythmic structures and amazing ability with a wide range of intruments, King Crimson for instance? Or to put it another way, if I had just learned the alphabet and hadn't really bothered much with learning vocabulary or how to put eloquent paragraphs together, who's going to be a more effective verbal communicator, me or an experienced and talented writer?

Sure, some experimental noise might hit you with a base emotion like "AHHH, get me outta here! I hate this!" Or mopy new wave music might seem to express base depressive impulses, but with that blunt of an approach, can you really hope to express much of the vast and subtle range of human experience and emotion?

So yes, some bands work only with their technical ability and their music just isn't very musical or expressive. It's more like a dick measuring contest. But I say that the more technical ability a band has, the more capable they are of making good music, wether you like music for it's emotional or melodic or rhythmic or aspect or whatever.
Case in point: the first three sparagraph from the insert of the new Estradasphere album:

"Estradasphere dedicates their art to interpreting and developing the underlying musical currents of time and place. Rather than shamelessly showcasing their instrumental prowess, the six-piece (rock?!) band from Santa Cruz, California draws on their broad scope of musicianship to explore the possibilities of the future, and more importantly, the past.

One moment, Estradasphere may manifest a Romanian gypsy tune through the psyche of an angst-ridden suburban teenager, then be walking a musical path much traveled simply to uncover some semblance of a better time.

Connecting to music by playing real instruments (violin, upright bass, guitar, accordion, organ, Japanese Shamisen, drums) and a shifting variety of instrumentations (chamber ensemble, jazz combo, gypsy metal band, 60s film rock, etc.) Estradasphere holds the door for our individual and collective understanding of music."

Estradasphere rules!

Offlinemr_kite
The Watcher
Male

Loc: shambhala
    #6196949 - 10/22/06 09:09 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

psilocyberin said:
did you actually listen to them?

Of course, otherwise I wouldnt be able to say whether I like them or not..  :confused:

--------------------
let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of what you really love

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
Re: The greatest band ever [Re: mr_kite]
    #6197040 - 10/22/06 09:49 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

which songs did you listen to? and how many?

they have 5 full length albums out....

Invisibledaytripper23
?
Male

Loc: Flag
Re: The greatest band ever [Re: Viveka]
    #6198278 - 10/22/06 03:44 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Viveka said:
So yes, some bands work only with their technical ability and their music just isn't very musical or expressive.  It's more like a dick measuring contest.  But I say that the more technical ability a band has, the more capable they are of making good music, wether you like music for it's emotional or melodic or rhythmic or aspect or whatever.
Case in point: the first three sparagraph from the insert of the new Estradasphere album:

:thumbup: awesome post viveka

Technical ability is generally a good thing to have, but it is also a trap for the dick measuring contest. Alot of musicians get caught up in that. Instead of trying to be unique, theyre caught up in something stupid. Waste of talent in my opinion. I think you should let your emotion drive your technical ability and theoretical knowledge foward. Your true potential lies in the emotion, the rest just comes.

But yea Estradasphere:
:crazy2: :crazy2: :crazy2: :crazy2:

--------------------
Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
  The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
  The frumious Bandersnatch!

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
Re: The greatest band ever [Re: daytripper23]
    #6198791 - 10/22/06 06:19 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

compare this all to another art form, where emotion can't be so directly perceived.

Would you rather read gibberish scrawl with watercolors in a book written by an autistic kid, or read anything by C.S. Lewis?

I think everyone has the capacity to "think" beautiful art, yet it is only our technical ability and prowess which allow us to express without limits.

Invisibledaytripper23
?
Male

Loc: Flag
    #6198908 - 10/22/06 07:27 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

psilocyberin said:
I think everyone has the capacity to "think" beautiful art, yet it is only our technical ability and prowess which allow us to express without limits.

Yes I deffinately agree with this statement here. In my opinion it happens just as often that people never come to their true potential of appreciation of art, because they have no foundation to apply their emotions to. But i dont think technical ability actually DRIVES the emotion, in the way that emotion can drive technical ability.

I think if youve got that emotion in you, whatever exactly it is that makes amazing music, you will eventually find the music, and naturally expand your boundries. Heres an example from my personal experience. I had a few years of formal piano lessons when i was pretty young. Strictly classical, which to me at the time was only a technical application of music, and it actually repelled me a bit from the piano for a while. It didnt bring out the emotion in me, that happened much later, and naturally.

Technical ability is a necessity for sure though.

Im not exactly sure what you were trying to say about C.S. Lewis and the autistic kid though...

--------------------
Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
  The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
  The frumious Bandersnatch!

Offlineajna
Hunter
Male

Loc: Qld, AUS
    #6198916 - 10/22/06 07:29 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

i havent got my hands on the newy yet, looking forward to it. these guys truely are amazing.

--------------------

what i'm listening to: http://www.audioscrobbler.com/user/ajnachakra/

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
Re: The greatest band ever [Re: ajna]
    #6198992 - 10/22/06 07:43 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

the new album blows all their other albums away... which I thought was impossible.

Imagine estradasphere making a theatrical album, produced by Hugo Montenegro. and that is PoM.

Invisibleeligal
Noobie

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: California
    #6200607 - 10/23/06 03:23 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

would be cool if someone could upload some songs, I cant seem to find any on my download prog.

--------------------
\m/ Spanksta \m/

"do you have the freedom to do with your nervous system what you want?"

"MolokoMilkPlus said:
I'll respect you if you let me give you a blow job"

"tactik said:
respect the can."

InvisibleJonnyOnTheSpot
Sober Surfer
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Carolina
    #6200805 - 10/23/06 06:57 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

estradasphere kicks ass. haven't heard the new stuff though.

OfflineSheepish
 User Gallery

Loc: Exile
    #6206773 - 10/24/06 03:10 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

I've only heard It's Understood, but from what I've heard I love. Very across the board type of band which keeps things interesting. I'll have to check out the other albums they have.

As for Mr Kite not liking Estradasphere - each to his own. You can't expect every single person in the world to like your favourite band.

OfflineToddo
Stranger
Male

#6206929 - 10/24/06 03:45 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

I'm getting their latest album.  Never heard them before.. will report back on a review.  :thumbup:

--------------------
Shroomery Composition Contest

Offlineajna
Hunter
Male

Loc: Qld, AUS
Re: The greatest band ever [Re: Toddo]
    #6213077 - 10/26/06 05:15 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

picked up palace of mirrors yesterday, three listens so far and i'm loving it. quadropus was my favorite release so far and this album has a lot of those same elements but like you say an amazing theatrical element and better flow. i especially love the second half of the album,  they explore some grounds they havent before.

:heart:  estradasphere

--------------------

what i'm listening to: http://www.audioscrobbler.com/user/ajnachakra/

OfflineArcofaJourney
Internaltransportationdevice
 User Gallery
Loc: your imagination
Re: The greatest band ever [Re: ajna]
    #6213449 - 10/26/06 09:37 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

pinning down the greatest band ever is quite impossible. We all have different tastes. My favorite is Stereolab, and i wouldn't expect them to garner many votes, especially around here, for that prize.

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
Re: The greatest band ever [Re: ArcofaJourney]
    #6214621 - 10/26/06 03:43 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

well, of course there isnt a pinnacle of mass appreciation, but there is of technical ability.

If we were to make a thread about the greatest guitar player, you would see very little agreement, but if we said name the top 10 greatest guitar players, Im willing to bet that you would see a great deal of overlap in peoples lists.

While Estradasphere is hardly known, I would put them in my top 5 greatest bands ever... and I think that the list would overlap if they had even the slightest notoriety of jazz musicians, like Chick Corea.

Ajna: you seriously liked quadropus over Buck Fever? I still say that Quadropus is their worst album... even though Hardball and King Crab Battle are some of my favorite pre-PoM songs, the album as a whole is kind of their low point.

I was doubting whether or not the new line up would be any good, but they have gotten exponentially better.

I keep telling the band that they need to get on the jam circuit, even though they arent a jam band, it is still probably the only hope they have for money + popularity.... whiel I understand they aren't in it for that, I would like to see that happen so i dont have to wait 3 years between getting the chance to see them live.

I think they would blow Bonnaroo away.... imagine a late night show, the time when everyone is about 5 hits deep listening to romanian gypsy metal saying "wtf?".

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder