Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinekotik
fuckingsuperhero
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
International Media Coverage vs. America's Coverage
    #6142517 - 10/07/06 05:35 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

you know that saying.. a picture is worth 1000 words? This was last month's issue. I remember one of the anchors on Fox talking about how great the article was (the US version of course).

--------------------
No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, or have ever been, participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any local, state, or federal laws. All posts are works of fiction.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

Re: International Media Coverage vs. America's Coverage [Re: kotik]
    #6142521 - 10/07/06 05:43 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Talking about Fox, so many of my friends in france saw how Fox covered the riots in France last year. They called it an "islamist revolution". This kind of misinformation is really scary in reality.

And on a funnier note, when they showed the map of france and the cities where riots had been going on, all the names of the cities were placed at the wrong spots! That was hilarious

InvisibleDieCommie

Re: International Media Coverage vs. America's Coverage [Re: exclusive58]
    #6147631 - 10/08/06 07:42 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

InvisibleStroFun
Repeater

Loc: Mycotopia.net
Re: International Media Coverage vs. America's Coverage [Re: DieCommie]
    #6149273 - 10/09/06 06:56 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

zionism

Offlinebarfightlard
tales of theinexpressible
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia
Re: International Media Coverage vs. America's Coverage [Re: DieCommie]
    #6149279 - 10/09/06 07:00 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

DieCommie said:
Riots last year? You mean they ended?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/10/05/wmuslims05.xml

didn't take long for this one to go off topic

--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

OfflineEconomist
in training
 User Gallery

#6149578 - 10/09/06 09:54 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

kotik said:
you know that saying.. a picture is worth 1000 words? This was last month's issue. I remember one of the anchors on Fox talking about how great the article was (the US version of course).

But, there are two ways to interpret this:
1) The US doesn't like to read bad news about the US

OR

2) The rest of the world LIKES to read bad news about the US

We know that Newsweek isn't above blowing a story WAY out of proportion in order to sell magazines (remember their delightful piece on Meth last summer? http://www.slate.com/id/2123838 ). And we know that many people outside of the US would love to read a story that was blown out of proportion about how US operations in Afghanistan are "t3h sux0rs".

Now, I'm not saying that operations in Afghanistan are going well (though none of non-British troops there seem to be complaining, and there certainly isn't anything even approaching the casualty rate in Iraq, controlled for size of course, which makes one wonder, at least a bit) but does anyone outside the US REALLY want to read about them going anyway but badly?

Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
    #6149637 - 10/09/06 10:30 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Newsweak is still around?

I quit reading that rag about 20 years ago.

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Offlinekotik
fuckingsuperhero
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: International Media Coverage vs. America's Coverage [Re: Economist]
    #6150683 - 10/09/06 04:00 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Economist said:
But, there are two ways to interpret this:
1) The US doesn't like to read bad news about the US

OR

2) The rest of the world LIKES to read bad news about the US

that would be the difference between NEWS and entertainment, no? And the magazine is called NEWSweek, is it not?

--------------------
No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, or have ever been, participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any local, state, or federal laws. All posts are works of fiction.

Offlinelonestar2004
 User Gallery

#6150899 - 10/09/06 05:04 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

News???? :rofl2:

Sad to see what has become of Newsweek....

http://newsbusters.org/node/8184

Time, Newsweek Match TV Pack With Transparently Partisan Foley Scandal Covers

Posted by Tim Graham on October 9, 2006 - 08:48.

In case you thought the Foley story was wrapping up on Friday, be warned that both Time and Newsweek weren't buying that. They wanted a chance to build its place in history/Republican infamy. Both covers are quite transparently partisan for the politically sensitive time of the season. Time has a huge black and white picture of an elephant's butt, with the words: "What a mess...Why a tawdry Washington sex scandal may spell the end of the Republican revolution". Time has been rooting for the end of the Republican revolution since they suggested it was in danger of killing off the "human species" back in the first month of the new GOP-majority congress in 1995.

Newsweek's cover has a huge picture of Foley and the words "Off Message," and the "O" is a computer "emoticon." Cute touch. But Newsweek is very much ON-message this week: they want the Democrats to win both houses. Newsweek has two web exclusives from gay pols: Democrat Barney Frank explains how the "closet" is somewhat responsible for his and Foley's scandals, and gay Republican Brian O'Leary Bennett clucks over how "our party has a history of scapegoating gays and lesbians at the first sign of election trouble." There's Newsweek's idea of balance: a gay Democrat and a gay Republican lashing out at social conservatives.

"Why a tawdry Washington sex scandal may spell the end of the Republican revolution".

Newsweek will do everything that they can to make this happen.

And they will fail again.

Remember last year when Newsweek lied and people died???

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/05/15/AR2005051500605.html

Newsweek Apologizes
Inaccurate Report on Koran Led to Riots

"...The report, in the issue dated May 9, said U.S. military investigators had found that American interrogators at the detention facility at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, had flushed a copy of the Koran, the sacred Muslim text, down a toilet...four protesters were killed and more than 60 injured. About a dozen more protesters were killed in the following days when the demonstrations spread across Afghanistan and to Pakistan and other countries..."

Newsweek lied, people died.

No big deal.

Just faceless casualties in the MSM jihad against the illegitimate Bush regime.

--------------------

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #6150947 - 10/09/06 05:15 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Newsweek is far, far, far from being a journal which ANYONE should receive their news from. They and Time have more more towards an "infotainment" design. While they still have great stuff from time to time, there are much more reputable journals out their to read.

That is totally off-topic, though, and I'm not disagreeing with the original post.

OfflineEconomist
in training
 User Gallery

#6151142 - 10/09/06 06:13 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

kotik said:
that would be the difference between NEWS and entertainment, no? And the magazine is called NEWSweek, is it not?

Unless Newsweek is suddenly able to survive by not selling issues, they're definitely going to publish stories geared towards what their audience wants to read. Hence, differences in coverage have as much to do with what people in other countries want to read as they do with what the US doesn't want to read.

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

#6151893 - 10/09/06 09:10 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

I think the editors of newsweek will print whatever will sell to their demographic. American's dont want to think about "losing in afghanistan" (or that is at least what their market team has concluded) - they might cover some sexy scandal, but to actually state that we are losing a war might turn consumers away or spark some sort of controversey that might not profit from. A watered-down cover story about angels or martha stewart or the latest scandal is always a safe business move, while proclaiming US military actions in Afghanistan a failure might be too risky.

The point being: Newsweek does what is best for business, which is extactly Economist's point.

Edited by bi0 (10/09/06 09:17 PM)

OfflineFalcon91Wolvrn03
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: California, US Flag
Re: International Media Coverage vs. America's Coverage [Re: lonestar2004]
    #6152006 - 10/09/06 09:27 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

lonestar2004 said:
News???? :rofl2:

Sad to see what has become of Newsweek....

Newsweek chooses NOT to say how bad things are in Afghanistan (which is good for the Bush administration), and then your link accuses them of being a liberal publication.  The evidence here indicates the opposite.  As others have said, Newsweek simply prints what they believe will sell the most magazines.

--------------------
I am in a minority on the shroomery, as I frequently defend the opposing side when they have a point about something or when my side make believes something about them.  I also attack my side if I think they're wrong.  People here get very confused by that and think it means I prefer the other side.

Offlinelonestar2004
 User Gallery

Re: International Media Coverage vs. America's Coverage [Re: Falcon91Wolvrn03]
    #6152402 - 10/09/06 10:42 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

evidence....????
[url=http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives?p_product=NWEC&p_theme=nwec&p_action=search&p_maxdocs=200&s_siteloc=nwsearchmain&p_field_label-0=Edition&s_dispstring=allfields("rejection%20of%20the%20American%20way%20of%20life")%20AND%20date(all)&p_field_advanced-0=&p_text_advanced-0=("rejection%20of%20the%20American%20way%20of%20life"https://files.shroomery.org/files/06-41/045309571-NewsweekAmerica.jpg][/url]

the international edition featured a photo of President Bush with the headline, "America Leads ... But Is Anyone Following?,"https://files.shroomery.org/files/06-41/045309575-NewsweekFlagTrash.jpg][/url]

As you can see, the cover story shows an American flag, dirtied and tossed in a trash can, its staff snapped in two. The large white text reads, "Amerika ga shinda hi", which translates to "The day America died."https://files.shroomery.org/files/06-41/045321829-NewsweekOscar.jpg][/url]

the U.S. edition cover story was an "Oscar Confidential" featuring Hilary Swank, Jamie Foxx and Leonardo DiCaprio.......

It's one thing for Newsweek to actively promote the notion that America is a 'dead,' 'rotting' country overseas....

But why hide it from American readers?????

And If Newsweek really thinks America is dead, and our flag belongs in the trash, why won't it tell us??????

OfflineFalcon91Wolvrn03
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: California, US Flag
    #6152585 - 10/09/06 11:12 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

lonestar2004 said:
It's one thing for Newsweek to actively promote the notion that America is a 'dead,' 'rotting' country overseas....

But why hide it from American readers?????

And If Newsweek really thinks America is dead, and our flag belongs in the trash, why won't it tell us??????

Because Newsweek wants to sell magazines. The fact that America has sunk into the toilet is understood internationally, but how many Americans want to hear it?

--------------------
I am in a minority on the shroomery, as I frequently defend the opposing side when they have a point about something or when my side make believes something about them.  I also attack my side if I think they're wrong.  People here get very confused by that and think it means I prefer the other side.

Offlinekotik
fuckingsuperhero
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: International Media Coverage vs. America's Coverage [Re: Falcon91Wolvrn03]
    #6153130 - 10/10/06 05:18 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

it's the blind leading the blind around here...

to pass this off as "oh, well they probably wanted to sell more copies" means you are only seeing half of the picture.

--------------------

OfflineEconomist
in training
 User Gallery

#6153662 - 10/10/06 10:28 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

kotik said:
it's the blind leading the blind around here...

to pass this off as "oh, well they probably wanted to sell more copies" means you are only seeing half of the picture.

I actually think you are the one missing half the picture.

Your point about American media not wanting to report negatively about America definitely has merit.

However, you cannot dodge the argument that foreign media WANTS to report negative things about America. The door swings both ways. If you think non-American based media is somehow magically unaffected by a prolific anti-American bias throughout much of the world, it is you who is only seeing half the picture.

Offlinelonestar2004
 User Gallery

Re: International Media Coverage vs. America's Coverage [Re: Economist]
    #6153704 - 10/10/06 10:43 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

its not even working. they print this SHIT and people are still begging for American Visas.....

--------------------

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Offlinebarfightlard
tales of theinexpressible
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia
    #6153750 - 10/10/06 10:55 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Ya, thats crazy, I don't know why they wouldn't come to Canada instead.

--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

Offlinelonestar2004
 User Gallery

Re: International Media Coverage vs. America's Coverage [Re: barfightlard]
    #6153805 - 10/10/06 11:14 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

barfightlard said:
Ya, thats crazy, I don't know why they wouldn't come to Canada instead.

If hillary wins in 2008 I could be coming to Canada :smirk:

Prime Minister Harper is a real leader :thumbup:

--------------------

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder