Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineIFEELGOOD
Stranger

glove box filter disks grain questions
    #6140028 - 10/06/06 10:54 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Alright I was thinking of doing some quart jars with rye. Could I use filter disks if I made a still air glove box? Would it be better to use tyvek ? or polyfill ? Would I need a glove box for those ? Thanks.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblecreamcorn
mad scientist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: glove box filter disks grain questions [Re: IFEELGOOD]
    #6140040 - 10/06/06 10:59 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

a glovebox can always improve success rates...

but it doesn't really have a whole lot to do with what kind of jar lid/filter you use. anything "injectable" via a syringe can be done in open air with good success rates. so injecting through a polyfill hole, through tyvek, or through a filter disk (and taping the tyvek or filter disk) will work fine in open air. there's teks around to make self-healing injection sites if you want to make re-usable lids that don't require taping. filter disks have a lot of the same characteristics as tyvek and some prefer one over the other... i've never used filter disks because tyvek has always suited me fine.

the only time you really *need* to be working in a govebox, is if you plan to inoculate with agar wedges or grain to grain transfers, because these operations require you to completely remove the lid of the jar, versus just poking a tiny hole in it.

Offlinejacc1234
Re: glove box filter disks grain questions [Re: creamcorn]
    #6140434 - 10/06/06 01:31 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

I also have been wondering about this because i dont want to poke through the disk. Would it be safe to crack the jar in the open to innoc?

Jacc

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: glove box filter disks grain questions [Re: jacc1234]
    #6140605 - 10/06/06 02:11 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

I use the synthetic filter disks, and inoculate by lifting part of the lid and squrting the solution down the side of the glass. Work fast. It also helps if you spray plain water from your mister inside the glovebox just before work. The moisture will help pull any contaminant spores inside the box to the bottom and hold them there.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineIFEELGOOD
Stranger

Re: glove box filter disks grain questions [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6141150 - 10/06/06 05:34 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Well I did a search found Lana lids and Monstermitch lids both looked great.  I went with monstermitch grain lids since I didn't really have to get much to make them.  Now i'm not sure I might make a monstermitch glovebox.  Or I might just try it without one.  well wish me luck.  :mushroom2:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale