Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinetrumie04
Stranger
Using both: moist perlite and humidifier
    #6133099 - 10/04/06 04:46 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

I am planning on fruiting my BRF cakes in a large RubberMaid container with a layer of moist perlite on the bottom. My question is this, would it benefit me to have a humidifier as well as the perlite? I'm not sure how much fresh air the shrooms need, as this is my first time. I've read that the more fresh air, the better. So would spending $25 help my setup?

Also, if I dunk the cakes and roll them in verm. do I still need to spray the cakes to keep them moist? I've been reading these forums like crazy lately, so all of this information is kinda merging together. I guess what I am trying to figure out is if the moist perlite gives off enough moisture by itself to keep the humidity at 95-100% AND keep the cake wet and happy.

Here is the humidifier that I was thinking about:
http://www.petdiscounters.com/customer/product.php?productid=1059001

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Loc: Cali
Re: Using both: moist perlite and humidifier [Re: trumie04]
    #6133142 - 10/04/06 05:01 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

First, timered ultrasonic directly to a rubbermain would probably cause excessive water droplets. For something that size, ultrasonic is an overkill. Coolmist type is good for maintaining about 90% RH, good enough for casing. For cakes, you want higher RH and you definitely don't need that much FAE for a rubbermaid.

Good PmP setup will be fine. I think you can get fairly large air pump, tubing and bubblers for under $25 at wally.

You don't want wet cake. Any water droplet touching the cake can become a haven for contam. Just like with casing, you should lightly mist the verm to moist, not wet.(I know it's difficult but you can practice on a small pile of verm on a dish) If you have automated FC like PmP setup you can just mist with a spray bottle after each maintenance requiring opening the lid. You can spray against the sides or using a good(not expensive but one that sprays fine mist) spray bottle to mist about 2 feet above the FC and close the lid after mists settle.(this is help kick the RH back up again)

For perlite to work efficiently, you need a slow constant moving air over them to take full advantage of evaporation surfaces they provide. They work over time to raise the RH high and having something like coolmist to turn over large volumes of fresh moisture/air through the FC will not allow sufficient efficiency for perlite at all.

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

Invisiblekintos
Stranger
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Using both: moist perlite and humidifier [Re: Sam1912]
    #6133287 - 10/04/06 05:42 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

thats a bit of over kill perlite should be more than enough, just fan 3or 4 times a day and your set

--------------------

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Using both: moist perlite and humidifier [Re: kintos]
    #6133379 - 10/04/06 06:06 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Actually perlite/coolmist works awesome plenty of FAE as well as holding RH up. You may have to use a turkey baster to remove any excess water from the perlite every few days which is quick and easy BTW. I've even had to mist to keep the moisture up in the casing layer itself as with that much FAE it can become less than optimum and water doesn't always go where it's needed the most (casing layer). I have used this type setup for quite awhile with no complaints what so ever.

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Offlinetrumie04
Stranger
Re: Using both: moist perlite and humidifier [Re: hyphae]
    #6133683 - 10/04/06 07:37 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Could someone please post a link to one of these "cool mist" humidifiers?

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #6134673 - 10/04/06 10:53 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Do a google search for 'vicks 400 humidifier'
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineBob_Dole
Britney Stalker

#7382301 - 09/08/07 01:28 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

I don't like perlite with a humidifier, *because* it seems eventually the perlite dries out, and then the vapor condenses on it and it's absorbed by the perlite and not the mycelium.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder