Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSea_Kur
User
Male

Possible new easy preservation method?
    #6118976 - 09/30/06 04:33 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

I'm wondering if it's possible to preserve dried mushrooms by using a culinary whipped cream maker (the kind you fill with cream, close, and dispense with a nitrous cartridge) by using a carbon dioxide cartridge instead. 

:idea: Whipped Cream Dispenser

The whipped cream container is a large, air tight, metal canister.  If you flushed out the oxygen with the carbon dioxide wouldn't that be the perfect environment for long term preservation?  It would be easy to re-flush the canister every time you opened it.  It has a trigger on it. If you put a desiccant in the canister too I can't see why your mushrooms wouldn't stay active for years.  Any thoughts from the scientists out there?

--------------------
Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment. --  Jim Horning

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMr420
Stranger
Male

Loc: Oompa loompa land
Re: Possible new easy preservation method? [Re: Sea_Kur]
    #6119171 - 09/30/06 05:32 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

I'm not sure of the technicals but it sure seems harder than putting them in a jar with some desiccant.They stay good a very long time that way anyhow.

InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Trusted Cultivator
    #6119211 - 09/30/06 05:47 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Canning jars are airtight too, and you can make your own C02 with baking soda and vinegar.  Dry shrooms, packaged tightly in a ziplock, then placed in a mason jar = long, long term storage.  I know they stay 99.9% potent for at least one year this way from personal experience.  I want to say 100%, but someone is gonna contest it.  Just trust me.

To each his own, I just find it unnecessary when you already have the long-term vessel on hand.  :mushroom2:

--------------------
To find a place to live between the negatives and positives.

OfflineSea_Kur
User
Male

#6121968 - 10/01/06 05:52 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

When I was talking about long term storage, I meant LONG term storage.  Not just one year but many many years.  Another benefit I came up with was the fact that the canister would be pressurized.  This could really push out all oxygen. Not just in the canister but inside the mushrooms themselves.  To my way of thinking this could make them potent forever.  :eek:

--------------------
Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment. --  Jim Horning

OfflineJon_Doe
UnidentifiedMycophile
 User Gallery

#6122050 - 10/01/06 06:27 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Seems like a huge hassle. Why not just purchase the $90 Foodsaver Vac 800 (http://www.jardenstore.com/product.aspx?bid=18&pid=1221) with the optional mason jar accessory (http://www.jardenstore.com/product.aspx?bid=18&pid=1664)? Hell of a lot easier (and in the long run, cheaper) to just suck the air out and keep 'em in regular quart jars. I've had one of these since I started, and they're really handy for all sorts of other things as well.

--------------------
“Cannibalism? Racism? Dude, that’s not for us ... those decisions are better left to the suits in Washington. We’re just here to eat some dude!”

-Charlie Kelly

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag