Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinezathan
Buttstuff
 User Gallery
Loc: So long stinktown
mexi-cube on zoo manure, cased (pics!, pins!, finished!)
    #6116644 - 09/29/06 07:43 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Howdy,

I cased a 3" deep zoo poo spawn about 4 days ago. I patched a small amount of myc that popped up after three days cased. There might've been like 6 spots that myc popped up, not much. This is a sterlite 66qt monotub so you can get a figure of the surface area.

So after patching, I took it out of my incubation closet and put it in our living room that recieves cooler air, constant window drafts, and light. 36 hours has elapsed and nothing is really going on.

I also used about 4 splashes of 3% h2o2 solution out of the brown bottle to about a full spray bottle container. I used this to wet the casing layer, as I hand squeezed it to apply to the tub. It's very diluted h2o2.

The spawn was quick, 5 days to near full colonization of poo. But the casing is bothering me. Does it sound normal to be this slow? Will it pin regardless of surface action? Did I fruit too early?

EDIT

I figured I'll post some pics while I have nothing to do at work and all the pics loaded onto my flash.

This is on of the four mexi-cube WBS jars I had going. I liked this pic because you can see the growth coming out of a single grain stuck to the side of the glass that's using the nutrients of the wet glass to grow.

A few days after spawning to zoo manure. This is 3" deep to 66qt monotub with 3 quarts spawn.

Closing in on 5th day, cased shortly after.

Cased

The fourth WBS jar I used to spawn a smaller spawn, in case my monotub failed (hopefully it hasn't yet). Used 4 1/2" deep coir/poo for this spawn. Like a day or so after spawning, I found cobweb growing on about 5 different spots, hosed those assholes with h2o2. They are gone for good.

The 27th

The 28th. Cased soon after.

Up close.

Edited by zathan (10/10/06 11:06 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleodium33
_____///
 User Gallery

Loc: mycoland
Re: not much action after casing [Re: zathan]
    #6116825 - 09/29/06 08:49 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

pinning usually takes a full 7 days for me from the time i put something in the FC. monotubs i havent really messed with so i dont know

--------------------
----------

Offlinezathan
Buttstuff
 User Gallery
Re: not much action after casing [Re: odium33]
    #6117334 - 09/29/06 11:22 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Have you experienced this sort of slowness with casings?

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
    #6118091 - 09/30/06 10:07 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Read my pinning strategy and make sure that casing is at near saturation remember shrooms are 92% water unlike us so many people fail to understand myc thrives in this environment. GL

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Invisiblecreamcorn
mad scientist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: not much action after casing [Re: hyphae]
    #6118360 - 09/30/06 12:16 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

what is your casing made of, and how thick?  did you pH buffer it and with what?  these might give us some hints as to why its colonizing slowly or not at all... 

you wouldn't really see a heck of a lot of action during the time frame you describe, but it should slowly be creeping into the casing layer.  you want it to penetrate the nooks and crannies evenly hopefully... by day 4 or 5 into fruiting you should see white poking through everywhere ie:

what hyphae says is true near saturation for the casing layer is important for pin development - but you CAN overdo it.  especially in the first few days of fruiting when it still needs to colonize the casing layer some.  too wet means it won't penetrate.  you can make it nice and wet once as its approaching the appearance of that pic there, in preparation for your actual pinset - but prior to that if you soak it it can become matted down, or "muddy" and you clog up the structure of the casing suffocating the mycelium underneath.

so if you have an inkling you may have made it too wet, the solution would be to manually hand fan that tub a couple times a day and hold off on any misting... and hope it colonizes the casing layer a little more or your pinset will ultimately suffer.  if drying it a little through extra fanning does seem to help, then you can always bring the moisture back up in a few days to that near saturation with some more misting later.

chances are you also may have initiated fruiting too soon, though its hard to judge depending on your interpretation of "poking through in 6 spots" :smile:

you refer to the "surface action" (i like that as a term!) - and that's actually very important to where you'll get pins... so good luck with it

Offlinezathan
Buttstuff
 User Gallery
Re: not much action after casing [Re: creamcorn]
    #6118863 - 09/30/06 03:49 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

My casing is made up of 33/33/33 peat verm coir, with about 2oz calcium carbonate and a full cup of tiny shell fragments. Litmus test showed 7.0 before baking the casing mix under tight foil.

When I first cased it and left it in my closet, I opened it up on day 3 after cased and myc appeared in about 6 locations. What I mean by "poking through in 6 spots" is that I saw half-inch diameters of myc that popped up through the casing layer that became visible. About three in the middle, the rest were off to the side. I figured I'd patched those and fruit. (closet is about 72-75F, was using the heat off the spawn to maintain temps in the tub).

It's been day two since patch/fruiting, and the same little spots are poking through the patch again, the rest of the casing doesn't show surface activity.

I don't think it's too wet, the casing doesn't look muddy, but then again I'm not entirely sure how wet it is. I do know that when I applied the casing layer, I picked up a handful and squeezed until it just dripped instead of streaming water. I gave it a final mist prior to fruiting.

I'm not sure what the myc is doing underneath the casing layer, but it sure isn't spreading out like the pic you posted. It's just randomly popping up in some spots, not very big either.

Offlinetonyperez420
Shaman Rasta

#6119091 - 09/30/06 05:01 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

dude, get the humidity 90%+ and start fruiting that bitch

Offlinezathan
Buttstuff
 User Gallery
Re: not much action after casing [Re: tonyperez420]
    #6121731 - 10/01/06 04:46 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

I did start trying to fruit it, and the humidity is high enough where the walls inside the tub are condensing enough so that it makes it hard to see through it.

Anyway, I finally was able to use a cardreader to pull some images off.

This is a picture taken at 2pm today before going to work. At this point, it's been 6 full days since casing, 3 days since patching a small amount of exposed myc and fruiting (exposed to light, cooler air by the window).

Today, more myc started appearing kinda-sorta evenly over the surface. Do you see how the myc spots are small and sporadic? I meant by "6-spots" on the first post is that there were 6 little myc spots that showed up when I decided to patch and fruit. I think it's starting to rectify itself. What do you guys think about the progress?

Offlinezathan
Buttstuff
 User Gallery
    #6121910 - 10/01/06 05:33 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

I'll keep adding pictures as the days pass while the tub's in fruiting mode.

Offlinetonyperez420
Shaman Rasta

#6122833 - 10/01/06 09:57 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

tonyperez420 said:
dude, get the humidity 90%+ and start fruiting that bitch

I would def start fruiting that bitch :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

:mushroom2:

OfflineCryogenicz
what?
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
    #6123019 - 10/01/06 10:50 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Looks fine to me, seems like alot of people are having good results by just casing and then throwing it in the FC.

--------------------
www.MycoPath.com
Mushroom Spawn, Cultures, Fungi Bags, Casings, Master Grain Jars, Bags for In-vitro, Laboratory supplies, and much more!
Mushroom Supplies. Fast Turnaround Times. Great Service.
orders@mycopath.com
enter code shroomery for 10% off product.

www.FungiForum.com

Offlinezathan
Buttstuff
 User Gallery
Re: not much action after casing [Re: Cryogenicz]
    #6124703 - 10/02/06 02:13 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Hopefully I'll have some pins this week...

Offlinezathan
Buttstuff
 User Gallery
Re: [Re: zathan]
    #6125077 - 10/02/06 04:23 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Okay, maybe I was just being paranoid. I think everything is rectifying itself.

Pic 10/2, compare that to the one at 10/1 a few posts up there.

Growing a bit I guess.

Also, there is water collecting around the sides of the aluminum foil where it separates the spawn from the plastic. I think it's from condensation dripping. I wonder if I should keep misting because the water is evaporating, pooling on the sides, and thus the casing getting dryer?

Offlinezathan
Buttstuff
 User Gallery
    #6134667 - 10/04/06 10:52 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Today, the pins show their caps!

Moral of the story: Follow hyphae's pinning strat and all will be well.

You guys think it will pin nicely?

InvisibleDihnekis
Stranger
Male
    #6134723 - 10/04/06 11:03 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

k

Edited by Dihnekis (11/10/08 02:06 PM)

Offlinezathan
Buttstuff
 User Gallery
Re: [Re: Dihnekis]
    #6144641 - 10/07/06 08:27 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

I'm misting maybe twice a day. I'm just using a monotub with the ceiling fan on to move air in the room.

More pics. It's looking even in terms of location of the pins, but pin size varies greatly... so this is going to be a 3-day harvest event I believe. Also, it's been 50-60f lately in Philly and we have no heat yet, so things are growing slower... except I think the coldness may have spurred more pins to show up and that the whole entity is holding back on developing its larger fruits to wait for the new arrivals to catch up. Regardless of that theory, it's taking its sweet ass time to grow.

^^ Those bigger guys are the same trio that I posted earlier, when they first showed cap color.

InvisibleOldSpice
Geritol Breath...
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crankytown, Texas
    #6145083 - 10/07/06 10:49 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

:thumbup:
Your gonna have a decent flush out of that casing :smile:
5 shrooms buddy

--------------------
So hard to be ....WDWGFH?
Texas is humongus compared to France
Our Gair, who art in Texas,
Paw Paw be thy Name....
My friends are thirsty

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrist office:biker:

Offlinezathan
Buttstuff
 User Gallery
Re: [Re: OldSpice]
    #6145693 - 10/08/06 02:13 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Woot!,, thanks for the rating!

Offline_OttO_
Over Stimulated
 User Gallery

Loc: Up Over
Trusted Cultivator
    #6146189 - 10/08/06 10:04 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Looking very nice.... :thumbup:

Offlinezathan
Buttstuff
 User Gallery
Re: [Re: _OttO_]
    #6156569 - 10/10/06 11:09 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Done! First successful mushroom grow in my life! Thanks to everyone that helped me and everyone who makes this site the best learning tool on the planet. Will be harvesting for 2-3 days to complete the first flush.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate