Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Amanita Muscaria Store Amanita Muscaria   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
quick id guide/key for agaricus brunnescens?
    #611611 - 04/18/02 03:17 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

anyone got one?? Just need one for my brother's wife

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineWorkmanV
1999 Spore War Veteran
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon, USA
Trusted Identifier
Re: quick id guide/key for agaricus brunnescens? [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #612526 - 04/19/02 12:14 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Agaricus are tough. There are a lot of species and they all look similar to each other. Fortunately, none are deadly but some are mildly poisonous. Check each mushroom you find because different agaricus species can intermingle.

Just like the store bought variety, the gills start off white, age pink and finally mature brown with spores the color of powdered cocoa. Since you are looking specifically for meadow mushrooms avoid any that stain yellow when damaged (such as the poisonous Agaricus xanthodermus). Avoid any meadow mushrooms that have only white gills even though they may be just young meadow mushrooms. A deadly amanita can look similar. Next, smell the mushrooms. All edible agaricus smell pleasant and all poisonous agaricus smell terrible.

So here is my quick key for my local area (Pacific NW, USA) it should work in your area, but get some other opinions first.

Only pick white to buff mushrooms with pink or brown gills
Discard stinky species
Discard species that stain yellow when damage.

I should note that there are many tasty yellow staining agaricus, but since you are targeting Agaricus brunnescens (campestris) its best to avoid those for now. Also Agaricus brunnescens doesn't have a ring on the stalk.

--------------------
Research funded by the patrons of
The Spore Works
Exotic Spore Supply

My Instagram
Reinvesting 25% of Sales Towards Basic Research and Species Identification :amanitajar:

Offlinezhukov
enthusiast
Loc: Australia
Re: quick id guide/key for agaricus brunnescens? [Re: Workman]
    #612559 - 04/19/02 12:54 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

I found some pure white mushrooms yesterday (with white gills as well), and they smelled almost like a pungent chemical disinfectant....obviously deadly :wink: but interesting....never found anything before that had an odour as horrible as that..... 

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: quick id guide/key for agaricus brunnescens? [Re: zhukov]
    #612569 - 04/19/02 01:14 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Sounds like destroying angels... I hate those things, they're everywhere out here

OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

Loc: GA
    #612802 - 04/19/02 09:41 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Workmans right on as usual :smile: I notice that the campestris here in the southeast tend to be smooth and white in the hotter summer months and more brown/buff in the winter time. I personally enjoy the winter variety the best, but they are the same species. Meadow mushrooms are abundant around here on especially church lawns, baseball/soccer fields, and newer neighborhood lawns. Though you can find them just about anywhere. I find alot of them in the cubensis fields, they can fool you from a distance :smile: Its great when I don;t find any cubes I atleast find a meal of tasty choice edibles. I never come back empty handed.

Heres a pic of the winter variety of campestris I picked last december(we had  a warm winter)

LK,

LK,

--------------------

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

Re: quick id guide/key for agaricus brunnescens? [Re: Lizard King]
    #612833 - 04/19/02 10:43 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

If you have a sense of smell like me [not much] you can get a better scent of things during a sautee. Last fall I picked a bunch of Agaricus that looked quite good; didn't stain yellow, firm and young. Upon cooking them, though, my buddy and I noticed a definite chemical odor, like creosote mixed with phenol. Not pleasant, they went straight into the worm bin.

I don't know if this is true with agaricus, but those deceptive little buggers were picked underneath cedar. Whether it was the species of agaricus or the aromatic hydrocarbon susbstrate is a topic of some interest. . .

OfflineWorkmanV
1999 Spore War Veteran
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon, USA
Trusted Identifier
Re: quick id guide/key for agaricus brunnescens? [Re: Suntzu]
    #612867 - 04/19/02 11:36 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Thats a good point. Cooking makes the scent stronger and easier to detect that phenol chemical odor. Its a good idea to sautee them in a pan of plain oil or butter for a smell as opposed to dropping them in a spiced up dish that might mask the odor. With practice you can avoid getting the wrong ones. Psilocybes are much easier.

--------------------
Research funded by the patrons of
The Spore Works
Exotic Spore Supply

My Instagram
Reinvesting 25% of Sales Towards Basic Research and Species Identification :amanitajar:

OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

Loc: GA
    #612933 - 04/19/02 01:19 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

It is very hard to tell some of the agaricus apart from each other. I'll admit that I've had some yellow stainers mixed in a few of my collections, they looked identical to campestris and were growing right beside them, but needless to say they went in the trash. I never did smell anything bad about them, smelled fine to me. Everytime I've found a yellow stainer it only stained after I washed it, the water along with the rubbing of my hands brings out that yellow in a few minutes. Now I always let my campestris sit about 30 minutes after I wash them to make sure none of them stain yellow, works well. Thats actually when I took the pic above, I washed them, set em on a plate and waited, decided to take a pic while was waiting.

--------------------

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
Re: quick id guide/key for agaricus brunnescens? [Re: Lizard King]
    #613256 - 04/19/02 08:24 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

thanks heaps everyone! Well she brought around a couple of specimens for me - all except on had pinkish or very dark brown spores and gave a chocolate powdery spore print. They had no ring at all from where the veil was attached and most were brownish uneven covering on he caps. The ones that had lighjt white caps all turned yellow upon a days drying, but the other still have very white flesh. We'll go pick some more, check the spores, check the smell and then sgive them a bit of a fry to have a good smell...wish me luck

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Amanita Muscaria Store Amanita Muscaria   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale