Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineChemical_Smile
Making Love WithMy Ego
Loc: coming down fast, miles a...
Filter patch vs. Gallon jars
    #610621 - 04/15/02 02:41 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

I am going to experiment with trying to do bulk rye spawn. I was wondering whether to use filter patch bags or gallon jars. What are the pros and cons of each? Right off I see that bags would be easyer to store out of the way ( under bed, etc.) but if you dont have already have a sealer they could be expensive. Bags themselves are cheep though and it might be worth the buck or so they cost to be able to just throw them away if you lose a few. I dont like the though of having to clean out a whole gallon of sour rye. At about 12 buck for 50lbs rye is cheap and with free manure I dont see why I shouldnt try bulk growing. If 1 out of 5 large projects went well I would still get enough to last me a year and I could grow gormet mush instead of worrying about the law. So what do you think?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineChemical_Smile
Making Love WithMy Ego
Re: Filter patch vs. Gallon jars [Re: Chemical_Smile]
    #611426 - 04/17/02 11:40 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

So far 50$ is the best I can find on a 12" impulse sealer. (bump)

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
    #611608 - 04/18/02 03:09 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

BAGS -- period.

Jars are heavy, bulky, can break, lids & filters can be a pain.

If you don't have filter patch bags or an impulse sealer? Bags are still boss.

Gets some round filters, or filter material & the biggest bore automotive radiator hose you can find. Cut the hose in about 3 inch peices (or whatever).

Pull bag through center of hose, double it back down the outside of hose sleeve, use a thick rubber band to hold the filter material over it. Your good to go into a PC.

If you use a spore syringe, just innoc right through the bag & seal hole with silicone or tape. If you use tape, swab sticky side with aclohol first.

If you do grain to grain transfers? Be sure to PC filter & hose with the bags, before you put them on.

2.2 mil .........12 X 24 or 16 X 24 bags beat the hell out of gallon jars. More bang for the buck & disposable.

SixTango -- out

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

OfflineChemical_Smile
Making Love WithMy Ego
Re: Filter patch vs. Gallon jars [Re: SixTango]
    #611731 - 04/18/02 07:58 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks, that sounds like the way to go then. Does anyone know where I could get a good deal on a impulse sealer?

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #611742 - 04/18/02 08:14 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

My friend picked up a new in box 12" impulse sealer on ebay last year for about $20 US. Check around on a few of the online auctions... there are usually several pages of them listed. If you watch for a few weeks you can pick them up dirt cheap. Be sure to get one that has the swing arm, not one of those silly battery operated eurosealer things like they show on the TV infomercials. Also be sure you get one that is long enough to seal your bags. My friend wouldn't go much smaller than 12" with the bags she uses.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineDinoMyc
Ipsa scientiapotestas est
    #612195 - 04/18/02 06:02 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

--------------------
If I made affront, I apologize.
If I made affirmation, I apologize.
I merely came to listen, came to say.

Invisibleking_for_a_day
EmperorPriapisticDiscordite I
Re: Filter patch vs. Gallon jars [Re: DinoMyc]
    #613029 - 04/19/02 03:38 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

i just busted my spawn bag cherry, and am highly impressed (which is a feat in itself). i used one of those euro sealers about 5 bucks used after shipping. it's a bitch the first time you try it out, which just means test it on something else first. i've had all kinds of problem using jars, but no complaints at all over the bags.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #613038 - 04/19/02 03:46 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

I would go with the jars. Was 0 for 8 on Mycobags. Most of my homemade bags either contaminated (leaked?) or stalled (not enough airflow)? I have two bags of brick-hard mycelium that look healthy, but are 11 weeks old and no sign of pins.

I prefer the idea of bags, but the reality of jars. I rarely get contaminates and find the seal to be more reliable, plus it is easier to enlarge your filter size if more air is needed. And of course, jars will last much, much longer. I probably would toss a bag after 3 uses maximum.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate