Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
Meet the Next President: Hillary Clinton remains coy about run
    #6089621 - 09/22/06 09:07 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Sep 22, 2006 5:00 AM (6 hrs ago)

http://www.examiner.com/a-303482~Meet_the_Next_President__Hillary_Clinton_remains_coy_about_run.html

WASHINGTON - Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, the most dominant figure in the crowded field of Democrats and Republicans mulling a White House bid in 2008, is also the coyest about her intentions.

“I am not thinking about that at all,” the New York Democrat insisted on ABC last week. “I know everybody else is and lots of other people are saying, ‘Oh, she is, she is,’ but the truth is, I don’t think about it. I haven’t made any decision about it because that’s not how I think and how I work.”

Her assertion was seconded by former President Bill Clinton.

“She hasn’t made up her mind, and I know that to be the truth,” he told the network. “We talk about it, and I’ve urged her to think as little about it as possible.”

Pundits find it hard to believe that the only person in the political universe who is not contemplating a presidential campaign by Hillary Clinton is, well, Hillary Clinton. That’s because when she’s on the stump, she sounds very much like someone who is running for president.

“Stand up! Stand up for progressive values and progressive politics!” she exhorted the Take Back America conference in June. “Let’s take back the Congress in November and begin our return-to take back our country.”

With scorching rhetoric, the former first lady implored Democrats to counter the “right-wing Washington Republicans who are determined to set this country on a disastrous path.”

“But we’ve got to win elections, or it won’t matter,” she warned. “We have to be smarter, tougher and better-prepared than our opponents. Because one thing they do know how to do is win.”

Actually, Clinton also knows how to win. She was intimately involved in her husband’s two successful presidential campaigns and spent eight years inside the White House as a hands-on strategist in the daily power struggle against Republicans.

“She is a smart person and obviously has got a lot of experience,” President Bush said recently. “It is helpful, to a certain extent, to have seen the presidency and presidential campaigns firsthand.”

After leaving the White House, Clinton defied legions of naysayers by winning the Senate seat in New York on her first try. To some extent, her years in the Senate have softened the caricature of a first lady who once famously claimed to be the victim of a “vast, right-wing conspiracy.”

Though Clinton is rated as 100 percent liberal by Americans for Democratic Action, she has attempted to position herself as a moderate. For example, she voted to authorize the Iraq war and opposes a specific timetable for withdrawing U.S. troops.

“I’ve taken a lot of heat from my friends who have said, ‘Please, just throw in the towel and say let’s get out by a date certain,’ ” she told ABC. “I don’t think that’s responsible.”

This stance has allowed Democratic rivals such as Sen. John Kerry, Sen. Russ Feingold and former Sen. John Edwards to run to the left of Clinton by endorsing withdrawal timetables. Some rank-and-file Democrats refuse to support Clinton until she does the same, opening a rift that could hurt the party’s chances in 2008.

“It would really be crazy if the anti-war element of our party thought that the most important thing to do was to beat up on the Democrats, and gave the Republicans a free ride,” an exasperated Bill Clinton told the New Yorker. “This deal with Iraq makes me want to throw up. I’m sick and tired of being told that if you voted for authorization, you voted for the war. It was a mistake, and I would have made it, too.”

While the former president is willing to call his wife’s vote a “mistake,’ she stops short of using the “m-word.”

“I can only look at what I knew at the time because I don’t think you get do-overs in life,” she told ABC. “I think you have to take responsibility and hopefully learn from it and go forward.”

By contrast, Kerry told The Examiner his vote for the Iraq war was a “mistake.” Edwards told the paper his vote for the war was “wrong.”

Hillary Clinton was the only Democrat who declined to be interviewed for a profile in “Meet the Next President,” The Examiner’s two-week series on White House hopefuls.

“Thank you for both the interest and the opportunity, but Senator Clinton remains focused on being the best senator she can be for the people of New York,” said her press secretary, Philippe Reines.

Clinton’s official position is that she’s too busy campaigning for re-election to her Senate seat in November to contemplate a presidential bid. But she is widely expected to win by a landslide in November and is sitting on an enormous political war chest that she can spend on a White House campaign.

“She’ll have all the money that anyone’s ever wanted to have to run for president more than perhaps we can even comprehend,” said Ark. Gov. Mike Huckabee, who is considering his own run for the Republican nomination. “It will be sobering, if not staggering.”

Clinton has tapped the formidable fundraising prowess of Terry McAuliffe, former chairman of the Democratic National Committee, who

could help her raise $100 million or more in 2007 alone. McAuliffe told the Hill newspaper this week that he would play a “huge role” in her presidential campaign.

“I was a Girl Scout; I believe in being prepared,” Clinton said of her penchant for fundraising. “I don’t want anybody to take advantage of me, or I don’t want anybody to think I’m taking anything for granted.”

Such preparations add to the air of invincibility of a Clinton nomination. She already holds double-digit leads over all rivals in Democratic preference polls.

And yet many Democrats privately fret over whether Clinton is too polarizing to win the general election. Some are even beginning to feel twinges of “buyer’s remorse.”

“You do hear people saying, ‘I hope she doesn’t run,’ ” said David Yepsen of the Des Moines Register.

When the newspaper polled Democrats on their presidential preferences last summer, Clinton was beaten by Edwards, who projects a more upbeat persona.

“I still think there’s a possibility that, after she wins re-election, she sits down and makes a very cold, methodical assessment of her chances,” Yepsen said. “She is a pretty good politician in that regard.

“And she may conclude: ‘You know, I really couldn’t do this, I couldn’t go the distance,’ ” the columnist added. “And so there’s a piece of me that says she may not pull the trigger.”

Some Democrats worry that Bill Clinton will prove a liability to his wife’s presidential ambitions by reminding America of his affair with White House intern Monica Lewinsky and subsequent impeachment. Others say the former president has the singular ability to outshine his wife’s political skills.

“Mrs. Clinton may be the only Democrat in America who cannot look at Bill Clinton as an unalloyed political asset,” The New York Times wrote in a front-page story in May.

The story raised eyebrows by seeming to hint darkly about the Clintons’ marriage. It said they spend a lot of time apart and described “Mr. Clinton leaving B.L.T. Steak in Midtown Manhattan late one night after dining with a group that included Belinda Stronach, a Canadian politician.”

Hillary Clinton insisted the Times story did not bother her.

“Not at all,” she told ABC. “I just don’t pay any attention to it; I really don’t. My attitude is I have no control over what somebody wants to talk about or write about.”

Bill Clinton told The New Yorker he would be a liability to his wife’s presidential bid “only if people thought she wouldn’t be her own person. And I don’t think that will be a problem.”

But even as her own person, Hillary Clinton would almost certainly face new questions about old scandals that dogged her during the 1990s.

Yepsen said Iowa Democrats tell him: “I don’t want to replay the Rose Law Firm and all that. I don’t want to pick up where we left off at the end of Bill Clinton’s presidency.”

Both Bush and White House political strategist Karl Rove said Hillary Clinton will probably win the Democratic primary and then lose the general election. Rove said there is a “brittleness about her” that diminishes her appeal to voters.

“For somebody who is philosophically very liberal, she’ll be a very cautious candidate at times,” he said. “That cautiousness will serve her well a lot of times not always, but a lot of times.”

Bill Clinton told The New Yorker: “I’m sick of Karl Rove’s bull----.” His wife agreed.

“Maybe because Bill and I have been through so many elections we know that Democrats have to fight back that you can’t assume people will see through the blizzard of negativity that is the hallmark of modern Republican campaigns,” she told the magazine. “When Democrats don’t fight back, I don’t understand it. So that’s been a disappointment to me, because of the results that, unfortunately, we’ve been stuck with now.”

If nothing else, Hillary Clinton is a fighter, which helps explain why she is so far ahead of the pack at this early stage of the presidential sweepstakes.

“The key is that she’s got to convince her own party that she can win a general election,” said Charlie Cook, publisher of Cook Political Report. “And it’s a close call right now.”

:smirk: Can't wait for the Al Gore / Kerry / Clinton debates where they rip each other to shreads.

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Edited by lonestar2004 (09/22/06 09:09 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom