Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinemushiemountain
i am the sacredone
Cultural Identity
    #6072529 - 09/17/06 10:52 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

i have to write a 4-5 page essay about cultural identity. i have to write about a few things including: what my cultural identity is and why, how was my cultural identity formed and how i got there, what my cultural identity says about me, and what it is to be american.

well first off i am an american (caucasian), but not too fond of america's society. this essay just seems very hard to me (i haven't written an essay in quite some time). could anyone point me off in the right direction? it would be greatly appreciated.

maybe we could have a discussion on what it is to be american. what are some things us americans take for granted?

thank you in advance. :mushroom2:

--------------------
I Ain't No Fool. Mama Didn't Raise No Fool.
----------primussucks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineEconomist
in training
 User Gallery

Re: Cultural Identity [Re: mushiemountain]
    #6072548 - 09/17/06 11:01 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah, I think you summed up your cultural identity by saying you're not too fond of America's society.

You live in a culture that has not only tolerated, but gone so far as to encourage dissention. You don't like America's society because you have been exposed to ideas about alternatives, and in many cases you weren't just casually exposed, but you were encouraged to go out and look for alternatives.

America means all of these things, and they are your cultural identity.

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
    #6072572 - 09/17/06 11:15 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

You can also go back further and discuss how your cultural identity comes from Europe, to pad that paper out some more.

InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
    #6072579 - 09/17/06 11:18 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

America is the future in terms of the possibility for immigrants and if your parents come from elsewhere you can write about that. Go to any other country on earth and see how 2nd generation immigrants are doing. I mean, Europe is a continent that in general is more liberal than America on many fronts, but if you look at the immigrant communities in Europe, the scond generation is very often (in France, Germany, Spain, Italy especially) stuck doing exactly what their parents were doing. An arab or indian family moves to Europe, sets up a rather successful deli, and the children end up stuck doing the same. In America, the children, the 2nd generation, has a great chance at upward social mobility. Hell, that's how I'm moving forward.

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

Offlinemushiemountain
i am the sacredone
Re: Cultural Identity [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #6072586 - 09/17/06 11:21 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

thanks for your replies. i was going to go back into detail of where my father's mother and father came from (as well as my mother's side), so yes thank you for that advice. i think this paper would be a lot easier if my parents and i didn't come from america.

anymore comments or discussion? please...

--------------------
----------primussucks

Offlinemushiemountain
i am the sacredone
    #6072771 - 09/18/06 12:12 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

fuck i have been stuck for like 30 minutes trying to start this essay off with a few sentences.

i was thinking of starting the essay off with defining what cultural identity is and then stating what my cultural identity is.

--------------------
----------primussucks

Offlinemushiemountain
i am the sacredone
    #6073557 - 09/18/06 10:10 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

anyone else care to help a brotha out? i am stressing out like crazy over this essay.

--------------------
----------primussucks

Male

#6073558 - 09/18/06 10:11 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

You must master the art of the bullshit, mushie-san.

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

Offlinemushiemountain
i am the sacredone
    #6073697 - 09/18/06 11:04 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

hahah.

well can someone tell me if this is a good intro so far...

Cultural identity is the individuality of a group, or person, that share common beliefs and characteristics. The culture defines itself as a culture by emphasizing the differences between themselves and other groups, or cultures.

shit i can't believe i have like 4 more pages to go and it took me forever to get those 2 sentences down.

--------------------
----------primussucks

OfflineTigger43
T-I-double Guh-errrrr
Male
Loc: nowheresville, USA
    #6073734 - 09/18/06 11:20 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

I'm stuck on a apaper too. I need three pages done before I go to class in 5 hours ( I procrastinate). directions:· You are writing an article for the ICC newspaper. You are to explain how an event or events in you life made you a supporter of a political or social cause (such as equality; free speech; environmentalism; tolerance for different religions, races, cultures, or life styles; individuals’ personal rights and freedoms; the second amendment; help and support for abused children; support for cancer research; pro-life; pro-choice; etc.)

Yeah... I smoked weed today and am a firm believer in not writing this paper.

--------------------
"This town ain't big enough for the both of us"

Offlinemushiemountain
i am the sacredone
Re: Cultural Identity [Re: Tigger43]
    #6073800 - 09/18/06 11:44 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

thanks for jacking my thread a-hole.

OMR could i possibly PM you? you seem like you have valuable info that would be helpful to me.

--------------------
----------primussucks

Male

#6073813 - 09/18/06 11:51 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Sorry dude but I am too busy scouring job listings to help with a paper...don't stress so much, just write it.

--------------------

-Erik Davis

Offlinemushiemountain
i am the sacredone
    #6073856 - 09/18/06 12:11 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

could anyone possibly name some topics i should write about relating to my cultural identity? 5 shrooms for you if you do!

so far i have written this...

Cultural identity is the individuality of a group, or person, that share common beliefs and characteristics. The culture defines itself as a culture by emphasizing the differences between themselves and other groups, or cultures. Your cultural identity comes from the past, or where your ancestors came from, as well as many other things. Although each one of us is in some way multicultural, I have obtained an American cultural identity because of my ancestor’s German and English identities. The person I grew up to be today is a main part in my cultural identity.

I came to be an American because of where my family has came from in the past. My father’s side of the family came from England. Both my great-grandfather and my great-grandmother were investigating the new religion of Mormons, and soon were converted to and baptized in the year of 1860, which was also the same year they got married. Friends of theirs were very bitter about them joining the Mormon Church, and soon enough in that same year of being baptized and married, my great-grandfather and great-grandmother set off on their journey to the new world, America. After six weeks of sailing across the waters, they arrived in New York. From New York they were dragged across the plains in wagons by oxen. Finally after ten weeks of struggle they made it to their destination, which was Salt Lake City, Utah. The Fry family were among the first five families to settle there.

any comments or suggestions?

--------------------
----------primussucks

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

Loc: Longitudinal Center of Canada ...
    #6073867 - 09/18/06 12:16 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Don't forget that culture is not all about enthnicity.  You culture is your lifestyle.  Your grandparents may have come from Ireland or Poland or whatever, but that's probably less relevant to your culture than how you spend your saturday nights.  Do you go to raves? Do you spend sunday nights checking out classic cars on the strip?  Are you involved in regular church activities? Do you and your buddies scour the countryside looking for fresh powder?  Do you and your friends go to see obscure indie bands in tiny clubs downtown

To me these things define cultural identity more than ethnicity.  We North Americans often don't inherit many aspects of parents' and grandparents' cultures.  "American" and "caucasian" are too broad to be definable cultures.  Some Americans rope calves and ride bulls, while some daytrade and drink gin and tonics, while some burn crosses and beat up gays.

Here's something interesting I pulled from Wikipedia:

Quote:

A common way of understanding culture sees it as consisting of four elements that are "passed on from generation to generation by learning alone":

1. values
2. norms
3. institutions
4. artifacts

Values comprise ideas about what in life seems important. They guide the rest of the culture.

Norms consist of expectations of how people will behave in various situations. Each culture has methods, called sanctions, of enforcing its norms. Sanctions vary with the importance of the norm; norms that a society enforces formally have the status of laws.

Institutions are the structures of a society within which values and norms are transmitted.

Artifacts—things, or aspects of material culture—derive from a culture's values and norms.

What are the values, norms, institutions, and artifacts that define your culture?  An interesting question for anybody.

Read the wikipedia article for starters, then just start writing something.

Good luck :smile:

--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

~ R.W. Emerson, "Self-Reliance"

:heartpump:

InvisibleHank, FTW
Looking for the Answer

#6073871 - 09/18/06 12:18 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Write about your families struggles, tug at the teachers emotional side.

--------------------
Capliberty:

"I'll blow the hinges off your freakin doors with my trips, level 5 been there, I personally like x, bud, acid and shroom oj, altogether, do that combination, and you'll meet some morbid figures, lol
Hell yeah I push the limits and hell yeah thats fucking cool, dope, bad ass and all that, I'm not changing shit, I'm cutting to to the chase and giving u shroom experience report. Real trippers aren't afraid to go beyond there comfort zone "

:rofl:

OfflineCosmicFunGuy
ॐconsciousnessॐ
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ∞
Re: Cultural Identity [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #6073879 - 09/18/06 12:26 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

WhiskeyClone said:

To me these things define cultural identity more than ethnicity. We North Americans often don't inherit many aspects of parents' and grandparents' cultures. "American" and "caucasian" are too broad to be definable cultures. Some Americans rope calves and ride bulls, while some daytrade and drink gin and tonics, while some burn crosses and beat up gays.

don't forget those that eat mushrooms, smoke pot and drop acid.

--------------------

♫ ♪ In the garden of many fields, there is no me or you. There is no right or wrong. There is no up or down. There is no black or white. Everyone is the plow man. Everyone is the seed. Everyone harvests and everyone yields. In the garden of many fields, everyone is one with one love and one love is one with everyone. ♪ ♫
lyrics from: Transglobal Underground - Eyeway Souljah (from Psychic Karaoke)

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

Re: Cultural Identity [Re: CosmicFunGuy]
    #6073892 - 09/18/06 12:32 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

tickettothemoon said:
Quote:

WhiskeyClone said:

To me these things define cultural identity more than ethnicity. We North Americans often don't inherit many aspects of parents' and grandparents' cultures. "American" and "caucasian" are too broad to be definable cultures. Some Americans rope calves and ride bulls, while some daytrade and drink gin and tonics, while some burn crosses and beat up gays.

don't forget those that eat mushrooms, smoke pot and drop acid.

Ok I won't forget them.

--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

Offlinemushiemountain
i am the sacredone
Re: Cultural Identity [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #6073953 - 09/18/06 12:48 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

thank you very much ^.

after telling the history of how my grandparents came here, should i explain that it's not very relevant to my culture?

what do you mean by norms? the rules i oblige by?

--------------------
----------primussucks

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

#6074389 - 09/18/06 03:05 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

after telling the history of how my grandparents came here, should i explain that it's not very relevant to my culture?

There's got to be some relevance somewhere. I would talk about what cultural qualities you believe were passed down to you by your ancestors, and what cultural qualities you believe you inherited from other sources (your friends, the city you live in, the government you live under, etc.) But it's your paper. You know better than I do what your prof wants.

Norms are unwritten rules of society that are enforced socially. In your society, is it normal for men to kiss each other's cheeks as a greeting, or is it not socially acceptable? What about drinking wine when you go out for lunch?

--------------------

OfflineColbadol
Reality Mechanic
Male

#6074420 - 09/18/06 03:13 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

isnt it kind of shocking to be a white person in this country and feel like you have no culture? You have no hardship or cultural conflict to talk about, etc, but for some reason youre supposed to?

If i were you, id also write about just your family and the area you came from before school (if youre in college right now, or if youve moved before). Talk about comparisons to other families, etc.
Maybe talk about any sports youve done, etc. ...ways of life that you have dabbled in, heh.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag