Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
50 GALLON PC -- maybe?
    #607148 - 04/13/02 09:42 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

In my wanderings around GSA & other goverment surplus sites I found a rather unique very heavy gauge stainless steel drum. Looks like it was meant to store very hazardious waste or somethhing on that order. Weight wise, I would guess It is more than twice as heavy as a normal 55 gallon gas drum.

I bought it for $45. It measures 22.5 inches across & 33.5 inches tall. I would guess this fat boy could hold a complete bale of hay.

The lid fits into the drum almost like an All American pressure cooker lid does. Plus it has a heavy duty bolt around the neck of the drum collar ring that holds the lid in place. That collar is 3/8ths thick steel w/1/2 inch bolt & nut that tightens it.

Anyway, the thought is to install a high quality pressure relief valve in the lid, plus a steam pressure gauge. Maybe a pop/off safety relief plug like All Americans have, just as an extra precaution. All thaT WOULD BE EASY TO DO.

Then throw 2 gallons of water in it, put some heat to it with a big electric hot plate burner & see what kind of pressure & temp it will withstand without before it releases pressure through the relief valve or blows out the rubber safety plug.

Yup, I know. Safety first & to take applicable precautions so no one gets hurt.

Seems this baby might function as a jumbo PC? Any thoughts, ideas or advice from all the wizards out there.

SixTango -- out

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDinoMyc
Ipsa scientiapotestas est
Re: 50 GALLON PC -- maybe? [Re: SixTango]
    #607157 - 04/13/02 10:00 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

be very careful... many of those drums are not designed to withstand such extreme pressures.. think about how heavy your little all american is.. now compare that to something so much larger..
now, for use as a pasturizing tub.. it sounds pirfect!
----------
I allmost forgot.. has this been used? you know, the usual gov. chems.. nuclear waste, etc..
just a thought..
also, where are all these auctions of which you speak?

--------------------
If I made affront, I apologize.
If I made affirmation, I apologize.
I merely came to listen, came to say.

Edited by DinoMyc (04/13/02 10:03 AM)

Invisibleshaggymane
PHARMER

Loc: great white north
Re: 50 GALLON PC -- maybe? [Re: DinoMyc]
    #607164 - 04/13/02 10:15 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

bombs away only the strong survie

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

#607197 - 04/13/02 11:07 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

DinoMyc,

I don't know what neck of the woods your in, so I can't advise you where. Just plug in "gsa surplus" into any search engine like google & you will find tons of sites all over the country. Besides gsa, many federal agencies, USDA, USFS & others have surplus sites. Most Statesalso have surplus sites also, as do many collages.

Sometimes you can find neat stuff. I got a $1000 new digital scale (up to 50 lbs), with software, that hooks to a computer & reads out on the monitor screen for $30, a fair size autoclave for $65, several big ass hepa filters, plus a lot of other spendy toys for cheap.

These sites cannot sell anything that is contaminated with anything that will poision anybody. Otherwise, they would be liable.

The steel on this drum is way thicker than any stainless steal PC they sell in stores, plus the seam welds are double inside & out & overlayed. With as steam pressure release valve, plus a rubber pop/off, there is no chance of any exposion.

LOL, except possibly shooting the rubber stopper out like a bullet. Hey......... if you never popped one out of an All American, you have a surpise coming. Sounds like a shot gun blast & a stream locomative whistle.

What is life, without a little measured risk, anyway? All in good fun.

SixTango -- out

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

InvisibleDreaMaTrix
Shaman I am

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Falling into place
    #607211 - 04/13/02 11:20 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

I say do it.
All american sell spare parts for their pc's, maybe these would work.
I don't know the American system of plumbing, but I know for sure some of my brass compression fitting would work to hold a gauge on, and be sound pressure wise.
I can get a propane gas stove from a camping store here really cheap, I have one for an oil drum, point being. Put it at the end of the garden on a low flame, wait til the pressure builds up and run!! Just to be safe!! I would not try this experiment indoors.

Good luck SixTango, I enjoy your innovative posts.

--------------------

"We are the one's we have been waiting for" - Hopi saying

OfflineParticleMan
enthusiast
    #607319 - 04/13/02 01:43 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

i may be totally wrong here but how would the stopper and release valve help any if you dont know what PSI the barrel can hold up to? i can put a pressure release set to blow at 15 PSI on a plastic baggie, the baggie will most likely explode before the pressure release let out a peep. i guess you would be safe if you knew it would stand up to 15 PSI, but i guess if you knew that you would already be making it :-) again, not trying to rain on anyones parade and i may be just crazy.

--------------------

OfflineDinoMyc
Re: 50 GALLON PC -- maybe? [Re: ParticleMan]
    #607444 - 04/13/02 05:23 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

that was what I was talking about.
be careful, but you may just be very very luck instead! :smile:

--------------------

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #607469 - 04/13/02 06:05 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Be sure to wear a thick suit and a helmet when this thing is going to blow up.

Pasteurizing, great. But put it under pressure and you?re making a weapon.

OfflineDinoMyc
Re: 50 GALLON PC -- maybe? [Re: Anno]
    #607646 - 04/13/02 11:13 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Yes.. 15 psi is a good differential..  I feel like an idiot now, as I cannot remember if that is gauge or absolute.. I am thinking gauge..
either way, it is alot.. especially in the form of superheated steam.. and you have alot more in such a large container..
please be careful!
It has not happened to me, but I have been well warned by family members to be wary of the pressure cooker.. the older ones had a tendancy to get corroded by what you cooked in them.. and repeated heating and cooling, especially accelerated cooling under a tap, caused fissures to form.. and then, BOOM.. its more powerful than a grenade, i believe.. and built in shrapenel too!  not something I would mess with..
heh :smile:
I can see it now.. fully clad in bomb squad armour, long tongs, and a huge pressure cooker full of "test subjects"

--------------------

OfflineMyceliumcake
addicted to weed
Loc: Flint, Michigan
    #607655 - 04/13/02 11:31 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Pcs are also solid. You said this thing had welded rims? double or not, it does sound dangerous. But as long as you keep in mind that it is so, while you are doing it, I think you should be fine.

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Re: 50 GALLON PC -- maybe? [Re: Myceliumcake]
    #607719 - 04/14/02 12:59 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks for all the warnings from everybody.

Anno, I am surprised at you. With a metal calibrated pressure relief valve installed. One could set it at 5 psi, test, set it at 10 psi, so on & so forth. With a pop off plug installed -- besides the relief valve. There is no way, this would or could explode like a bomb & throw metall, if carefully tested. The releif valve would release first -- and/or the plug blow out before the drum would explode.

The answer & facts came to light today. I spoke with an engineer who deals with pressurized steel tanks. After describing it. He told me, the metal, welds, lid & ring was probobly strong enough to withstand 15 to 25 psi.

What might not be, is the design of the drum. It would under severe stress & pressure tend to expand in the middle, then fail around the lid. Which could resulkt in a big high speed flying metal frisby.

That sounds like no fun, so this drum is now for pasturizing things.

But, the engineer told me where some tanks are, with flanges & bolted on ends were that were built to withstand 200 psi & 600 F, for cheap ($200). They are a lot bigger & weigh much more. But, what the hell........... sounds like fun testing a 100 gallon PC. So, monday, I am going to look at them.

The adventure goes on. SixTango --out

--------------------

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #607792 - 04/14/02 03:07 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

>What might not be, is the design of the drum. It would under
> severe stress & pressure tend to expand in the middle,
>then fail around the lid. Which could resulkt in a big high
>speed flying metal frisby.

I told you.

Invisiblerepobob
enthusiast
Loc: Illinois
    #607882 - 04/14/02 06:23 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Hey Bro, be careful we would hate to lose your input on this board.
The only problem I would see is the safty release plug. How would you install this. Would it like a water heater relief valve? That would have to work or you could be in deep dodo real quick. If the steel sides and welds are strong enough and the lid is sealed and clamped down tight enough I don't see why that should not work. Might not be a bad idea to instal some sort of valve to release the pressure just as an added safety. You could really PC alot of stuff at one time, it sounds like an idea thats worth some experimentation.

Peace,
Bob

--------------------

OfflineDinoMyc
    #607980 - 04/14/02 10:22 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

ah well, safety reigns!
I thought you had a nice autoclave, what do you need this for then? or is this a tool autoclave, not a bulk autoclave..

--------------------

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

#608114 - 04/14/02 01:58 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Autoclave has about a 3 liter chamber. Not suitable for anything BIG or bulky.
SixTango -- out

--------------------

OfflineGaNjAShRooM
===SPUN===

Loc: Southern United States
    #608863 - 04/15/02 08:13 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

man-you are going to make a time bomb-with something that big-by the time the pressure got high in the drum,no stop valve would save your ass-
ever seen the movie aramgeddon?
probably similar to something like that(when the drill blows from pressure pocket)will happen-it will be loud-it will hurt-probably about the same as a space shuttle taking off next to your ear-(thats about how the pressure will blow too)
what is this drum made out again?staninless steel?
if you did accomplish this-imagine how long it would take to cool-you couldnt release the pressure and open it hot-it would blow-when i was young my grandmother blew a pressre cooker up in her kitchen full of beans-this was a 5 qt cooker-it blew a whole in the ceiling-busted her ear drum-and just about gave her a heart attcak(poor grandma :smile:)
i would be very careful-and i wouldnt even go for it if i was you-
then how are you going to heat it?
a fire i would have to say-which means outdoors-smoke-
the cops might think you are cooking meth,or moonshine-then you are in a whole other mess,and you wasnt doing either of the two-
think about that :smile: 

--------------------
Cultivation Laws Of America Suck

OfflineGaNjAShRooM
===SPUN===

Loc: Southern United States
Re: 50 GALLON PC -- maybe? [Re: GaNjAShRooM]
    #608870 - 04/15/02 08:23 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

i would also learn about welding-my mom and my dad are both welders-those seams might not hold-depending on what type of welding did them-and who welding them-welds can be falty on the inside and you will never know-thats why welders stay in buisness-welds always break somewhere,and someone has to fix them-i would probably say,that those welds were not meant to hold pressure,thats not what welds are for-most containers that hold pressure(such as boilers at steam plants,i know all about this,once again my parents do this)have expansion joints added in-so when the pressure rises it metal has room to expand-(when metal is heated it expands right?)so the added expansion joints give them metal room-
understand?
that drum will blow-the welds will heat,expand,crack,and them boom,if you are near it,you will probably never grow again-
i tried to put it as simple as i could-
please take some advice-

--------------------
Cultivation Laws Of America Suck

InvisibleBeautifulDay
BlingBling
Loc: SinCity
    #610750 - 04/17/02 10:39 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

There is a reason that prices on pressure cookers / autoclaves are vastly higher for larger models. My geometry and algebra skills are exceptionally poor, but my theory is this: Think of the fact that internal pressure is measured in PSI - because of this, the total internal pressure is logarythmic to the total interal surface area, not linear; so if you have a very small pressure cooker with 10 square inches of total internal surface area, at 10 psi the total internal pressure the vessel must withstand is 100 lbs. Now imagine a larger vessel with 100 square inches of internal surface area, at 10 psi, it must withstand 1000 lbs of pressure. at 15 psi, it would be 1500 lbs. If your vessel measures 22 inches in diameter, based on the formula for calculating the area of a circle, the surface area of the lid and the bottom are each about 380 square inches, if the height is about 33 inches, the total surface area of the cylinder is 2280 square inches, for a total internal surface area of about 3041 square inches. At 15 PSI, the total internal pressure would be way up around 45615 pounds, or 22.8 tons of pressure. You could level a city block with that, but unless this vessel features 6-inch-this moly-steel walls and some kind of force field to hold the lid on, it will never approach this level of pressure before it ruptures. Be careful dude.
Ciao,
BeautifulDay - Flawed Mathemagician Extrordinare

--------------------
The thin line between genius and insanity is known only by those who cross it.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies