Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleBoarders
Stranger
 User Gallery
Spent (barley) grain as substrate
    #6069597 - 09/17/06 12:38 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

I will be attempting to cultivate some mushrooms (several different species) in the not too distant future.

I brew my own beer from grain, mainly malted barley, but also oats and wheat occasionally. This grain is crushed, followed by an enzymatic reaction converting starches to sugars. After the sugars have been extracted, I'm left with vegetative matter that I use to compost my garden. I figure there would be another use for this grain - substrate for mushrooms.

What I plan on doing is saving some of the spent grain that I will pressure cook for use in both inoculation and casing. Do you think it's feasible?  :crazy2:

Cheers!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleBoarders
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Spent (barley) grain as substrate [Re: Boarders]
    #6076957 - 09/19/06 05:08 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Anyone?

InvisibleWally_Amos
Friend
Male

Re: Spent (barley) grain as substrate [Re: Boarders]
    #6077041 - 09/19/06 06:39 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

if i understand it correctly, the point of using grain is so they can be shaken loose very easily. you say the grain is crushed, does that mean it's like a solid paste, or is it more like cooked rice where there's air surrounding each grain? if yes, i'd say give it a try. if it's sticky or a solid paste, you'll have to find a way to give it a light loose texture first. i would love to be able to use the leftover solid material from making soymilk, but it has a texture like mashed potatoes.

Offlinemuzyman79
Stranger
Re: Spent (barley) grain as substrate [Re: Wally_Amos]
    #6079090 - 09/19/06 06:01 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Wally is right, there has to be sort of a broken up texture for it to spread properly. Also unless you PC the hell out of it, you will probalby end up with contamination 100% of the time due to the vast majority of bacteria in the grain, barley etc.. Considering the fact that the bactera are the things that produce the alcohol in the first place. It may be worth a try, but I dont think it will work.

InvisibleBoarders
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Spent (barley) grain as substrate [Re: muzyman79]
    #6083782 - 09/20/06 07:41 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

The texture is reasonably "fluffy"; when we crush the grain, we basically roll the innards out of the husk, trying to leave the husk intact to aid filtration when collecting the sweet liquid. It is definitely much closer to cooked rice to mashed potatoes.

I'll see if I can upload a couple of pics of spent wet and dry grain - it's often given to horses as feed.

As for the bacteria, yes there will be species present, but during mashing the temperature reaches just under 80C (176F). I have a pressure cooker and would of course use that to sterilise the grain prior to inoculation. It's not bacteria that produce the alcohol either, it's yeast :P.

Here's it wet:

Here's it dry:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract