Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleDa_Vine
eat me
Male

Loc: jamaica mon
Supporters Of Marijuana Initiative Say Voter Guide Misleading
    #6057349 - 09/13/06 02:36 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

video clips http://www.thedenverchannel.com/politics/9833003/detail.html

DENVER -- Supporters of an initiative that would legalize possession of small amounts of marijuana said Tuesday they will ask a judge to block the state from distributing a voters guide, claiming it is misleading.

Mason Tvert, campaign director for Safer Alternative for Enjoyable Recreation, said the voter guide incorrectly claims the initiative would allow people to transfer up to one ounce of marijuana to juveniles 15 and older as long as there is no compensation. The voter guide notes that possession for people under 21 would still be illegal.

The voter guide, known as the blue book because of its cover, is printed by the state and distributed to voters to explain initiatives on the November ballot. It includes statements submitted by supporters and opponents of initiatives on the changes that would be made to state laws.

This year's blue book was approved last week by the Legislative Council. The final draft said that Amendment 44 would legalize the possession of less than one ounce of marijuana, and "possession" includes consumption or use of marijuana as long as it's not in public, and transferring up to an ounce of marijuana to someone 15 years or older.

Tvert said the marijuana initiative would not change current state laws that bar contributing to the delinquency of a minor and make distribution of any amount of marijuana to minors under age 18 a felony.

"For some reason, the Legislative Council wants to make this about children. It's not," Tvert said. "The Legislative Council has perpetrated an act of fraud upon the people and the voters of Colorado ... The Legislative Council wants people to believe that our initiative would make it legal for adults to give small amounts of marijuana to minors. That, in no uncertain terms, is a lie."

"We don't and certainly would never perpetrate a fraud on the public," said Kirk Mlinek, the director of research for the Legislative Council.

Mlinek said the wording is derived from existing law and is an impartial analysis of the proposal.

"For the past 70 years, officials at all levels of government have lied, exaggerated, and used every dirty trick in the book in order to keep marijuana illegal. This is just one more example," said Tvert, at a press conference on the steps of the Capitol.

"He's dead wrong and I think those accusations are reckless and wrong," said Rep. Andrew Romanoff, the House Speaker. "It's not the job of the Legislative Council to fix flawed ballot measures on their way to the ballot."

Romanoff said the people who compile the Blue Book don't take sides; they simply explain what the proposal is, and then present both sides of the argument. He said the opponents of the marijuana ballot measure didn't like the wording either and tried to get the Legislative Council to strengthen the arguments against it.

"They didn't get what they wanted, but they're not suing the Legislative Council or trashing the staff who work for us. And I think that sort of behavior is reckless, unwarranted, and deeply disappointing to me," Romanoff said.

David Evans, an opponent of the initiative, said supporters want to eliminate the crime of possession of marijuana from state statutes, which could allow juveniles under 18 to possess the drug.

"I don't think it's ambiguous at all," Evans said.

Tvert and his group plan to file suit to block the blue book on Wednesday.

Even if Amendment 44 passes, it would still be against federal law to possess marijuana and it would be against state law to grow marijuana

Edited by ANTS (09/13/06 02:39 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinelipan
Magi
 User Gallery
Re: Supporters Of Marijuana Initiative Say Voter Guide Misleading [Re: Da_Vine]
    #6057575 - 09/13/06 03:41 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

thats some bull, obviously done on purpose.

--------------------
Feel free to forget all that I am saying, for the instant these clumsy words spill out of my mouth, they transform into complete lies.

Offlinetoastandjam
Tastes Grate, Lesh Philling
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #6059520 - 09/14/06 12:27 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

ANTS said:
video clips http://www.thedenverchannel.com/politics/9833003/detail.html

"He's dead wrong and I think those accusations are reckless and wrong," said Rep. Andrew Romanoff, the House Speaker. "It's not the job of the Legislative Council to fix flawed ballot measures on their way to the ballot."

Well, then, who's job is it?  And why aren't they doing it?  Hmm?  :stoned:

--------------------
Q: We wanted to see if you had the ability to expand your mind and your horizons... and for one brief moment, you did.
PICARD: When I realized the paradox...
Q: Exactly. For that one fraction of a second, you were open to options you'd never considered. That's the exploration that awaits you...not mapping stars and studying nebulae... but charting the unknowable possibilities of existence.

To carry yourself forward and experience myriad things is delusion. That myriad things come forth and experience themselves is awakening. -Dogen Zenji

Invisibledemiu5
humans, lol
 User Gallery

Loc: the popcorn stadium Flag
    #6059983 - 09/14/06 08:14 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Mason Tvert, campaign director for Safer Alternative for Enjoyable Recreation, said the voter guide incorrectly claims the initiative would allow people to transfer up to one ounce of marijuana to juveniles 15 and older as long as there is no compensation. The voter guide notes that possession for people under 21 would still be illegal.

Busted! I hope the state gets hit hard for publishing that one.

--------------------
channel your inner Larry David

InvisibleDNKYD
Turtle!

Re: Supporters Of Marijuana Initiative Say Voter Guide Misleading [Re: demiu5]
    #6060416 - 09/14/06 11:20 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

If they fuck that initiative up by pulling shit like this I, as well as millions of other cannabis users, will be EXTREMELY pissed off.

OfflineApJunkie
part-time Ninja
Male

Loc: Loc:Loc:Loc:Loc:Loc:
Re: Supporters Of Marijuana Initiative Say Voter Guide Misleading [Re: DNKYD]
    #6060480 - 09/14/06 11:37 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

ok, so if this gets passed what changes? it's still against federal law to posses Marijuana... so even if this is passed, does anything change anyway?

Offlinedoxhevex
If it fits inyour mouth, it'sEDIBLE
Male

Loc: Pennsylvania...unfortunat...
    #6060812 - 09/14/06 01:18 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

if anyone has actually seen the website for S.A.F.E.R., then you will know that they do not want this to be legal for anyone under 21. The goal is, after all, to allow marijuana as a safer alternative to alcohol, which has obvious and numerous negative aspects, including domestic violence and vehicular related accidents.

as for the federal aspect, yes it will still be illegal and there will still be tickets given out. however, it will be up to the officer handling the ticket or "crime". earlier in august, i was busted for driving without a license and i had a 1/2 ounce on me (well, like 11 grams) and i was instead given a disorderly conduct citation when i could have gotten misdemeanor possession. its all up the the pig at the scene.

--------------------

OfflineShattrdHarlequin
Stranger

Re: Supporters Of Marijuana Initiative Say Voter Guide Misleading [Re: doxhevex]
    #6060906 - 09/14/06 01:34 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

It could still be punished under federal law but do you think Colorado officers or the federal courts really have the time to be making a federal case out of every single posession charge? I really doubt it......

OfflineMicrocosmatrix
Spiral staircasetechnician
Male

Loc: Ythan's house
Re: Supporters Of Marijuana Initiative Say Voter Guide Misleading [Re: doxhevex]
    #6070263 - 09/17/06 10:13 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Under Federal law, simple MJ possession carries a year in jail, not a ticket.

They'll have to Federalize the Colorado police however, and I doubt that would go over too well.

--------------------
:orly:

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
    #6070477 - 09/17/06 11:35 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

doxhevex said:
The goal is, after all, to allow marijuana as a safer alternative to alcohol, which has obvious and numerous negative aspects, including domestic violence and vehicular related accidents.

blame the drug, not the twat that swilled down a 5th before he beat his wife
that same guy will d the same when sober and on marijuana

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order