Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineVelocity92C
Stranger
I'll be using this for my casing layer.. quick question...
    #6055376 - 09/12/06 09:52 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/files/06-36/760084490-mcfront.jpg

Do I need to do anything to it (ie. pasteurizing, or anything like that) or should it be good to go?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblecreamcorn
mad scientist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: I'll be using this for my casing layer.. quick question... [Re: Velocity92C]
    #6055411 - 09/12/06 09:59 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

pasteurizing is best.

but i cheat...

hydrate to field capacity, place in large bowl.  cover bowl with plastic wrap.  microwave for 2 minutes... shake bowl around... wait 15... nuke 2 more, wait 15 more, nuke finally a third time for 2 minutes and wait til cool (takes 2-3 hours depending on how much mix you got.)  that's kind of ghetto pasteurization, you get it "hot" and keep it hot for a "while" :smile:  not very scientific but never fails me :thumbup:

i HAVE gotten away with using it straight from the bag, and had no problems.  but you never know... not that hard to do the nuke method for peace of mind and moving a step towards doing things "proper" :smile:

OfflineVelocity92C
Stranger
Re: I'll be using this for my casing layer.. quick question... [Re: creamcorn]
    #6055420 - 09/12/06 10:01 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

How hydrated is field capacity?

OfflineVelocity92C
Stranger
Re: I'll be using this for my casing layer.. quick question... [Re: Velocity92C]
    #6055434 - 09/12/06 10:03 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

I woulda just PM'd you but I didn't know if you were gonna be on tonight, I wanna get this taken care of relatively soon.

Here's my procedure, I have this big square cooking tray that's not transparent.. about 9x9, I bought a big tub like you would use in a TIT and cut a big square out of the roof, then duct tape some heavy duty plastic wrap over the hole for lite. Soaked some perlite, threw it in the bottom, sprayed some h202. I'm going to crumble 3 cakes in 2 trays, put them straight on the bottom with no bottom layer and cover with the pasteurized mix. Cover the trays with foil for 3 days then throw them in my new FC made specially for the casings. Anything I'm missing?

Invisiblecreamcorn
mad scientist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #6055450 - 09/12/06 10:07 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

well... as you wet it you'll see it goes from a brownish color to... a darker brownish color. :smile:

so you want it damp, but not wet to where there's water in the bowl or it turns to mud on you.  if you take a handful and give it a gentle squeeze, it should just barely drip.  i know that's kinda vauge but that's the field capacity test. :wink: 

i guess a good comparison would be about the consistency of a pf cake mix.

if in doubt its worse to make it too wet than too dry... you can always add moisture later by misting.  if its too wet though it won't colonize or will colonize slowly once applied to your substrate.  (basically the same rules apply as when you're preparing substrate and judging its moisture content)

OfflineVelocity92C
Stranger
Re: I'll be using this for my casing layer.. quick question... [Re: creamcorn]
    #6055459 - 09/12/06 10:09 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Roger that.. thanks for all your help.. I'm stoked about my casings. Did that procedure sound OK? Do I need to add anything (I've heard coffee grounds can help? I have no idea)

Invisiblecreamcorn
mad scientist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #6055483 - 09/12/06 10:14 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Velocity92C said:
I woulda just PM'd you but I didn't know if you were gonna be on tonight, I wanna get this taken care of relatively soon.

Here's my procedure, I have this big square cooking tray that's not transparent.. about 9x9, I bought a big tub like you would use in a TIT and cut a big square out of the roof, then duct tape some heavy duty plastic wrap over the hole for lite. Soaked some perlite, threw it in the bottom, sprayed some h202. I'm going to crumble 3 cakes in 2 trays, put them straight on the bottom with no bottom layer and cover with the pasteurized mix. Cover the trays with foil for 3 days then throw them in my new FC made specially for the casings. Anything I'm missing?

sounds good.  whats the 9x9 tray for?  you have two of those for 3 cakes?  probably gonna end up with a really thin substrate.  i recall putting 4 cakes in a 7x7 tray once myself and it still being kind of thin.  or am i confusing something here are you casing them in different trays? :smile:  if you ask google "3 half pints to cubic inches" it will tell you 43.  9x9 is 81 square inches, so you're looking at like around a half inch thick substrate even if all 3 goes into 1... 3 cakes won't get you far but shoot for trays that will get you at least 1.5"

otherwise the only other thing left out is that they need gas exchange while the casing layer colonizes.  so you cover them with foil, but you'll need to poke some holes in the foil and cover those with micropore tape.  (if you dont have micropore handy leave the foil top kinda loose and it should work out.) 

and i am out for the night so if you're still confused on anything keep following up here somebody else will have to chime in. :wink:

OfflineMawfz
Stranger
    #6056535 - 09/13/06 09:21 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

I thought casing layers were supposed to be non-nutritive to reduce the chance of contamination?

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: I'll be using this for my casing layer.. quick question... [Re: Mawfz]
    #6056580 - 09/13/06 09:43 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

I think that is fairly non-nutritive. It has some chemical fertilizers for plants, but they're not going to feed the mycelium. You definitely wouldn't want to add coffee grinds to a casing mix.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix