Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineSo_Shroom_Me
Stranger
Shambala Buddhism
    #6049876 - 09/11/06 12:59 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

I've been thinking of taking a look into shambala buddhism, is anyone familiar with it? What are your impressions?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Shambala Buddhism [Re: So_Shroom_Me]
    #6050290 - 09/11/06 03:27 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

it is what you would imagine if you formalize bohemian buddhism.

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

Offlineeve69
--=..Did Adam and ...?=--
Male User Gallery

Loc: isle de la muerte Flag
Re: Shambala Buddhism [Re: redgreenvines]
    #6050404 - 09/11/06 03:52 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

It's the cultish lineage of followers of Chogyam Trungpa who have taken his teachings and made them into a Shambala cult. It's not having anything to do with the actual Shambala, or the actual Kalachakra. Now knowing that, if you choose to pursue this wayward path, then it's your fault. If you are into Shambala and Kalachakra then pursue Kirti Tenshab or HHDL, and read up at the International Kalachakra Group.

--------------------
...or something

InvisibleSinbad
Living TheMoment
Male

Loc: Under The Bodhi Tree
Re: Shambala Buddhism [Re: eve69]
    #6050517 - 09/11/06 04:14 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Shambhala sprung from the teachings of Trungpa. I dont see anything wrong with Shambhala as its mindfulness meditation practices seem to be resonant with the teachings from which it arose. Also i have found many of Chogyam Trungpa's students's teachings (such as Pema Chodron), to be very helpful for me in times of great upheaval in my life.

Its not in fact a cult, but a Rime (non-sectarian) organisation which accepts teachers and teachings from all traditions, which IMHO is a very good thing. A cult has the identifiable qualities of fundamentalism and restricting members access to only the teachings of said cult. This is not how Shambhala works at all, it is non-sectarian.

That being said i have only had brief contact with Shambhala, so i cannot say with regard to any of the deeper levels of teaching and practice that go on in there centres.

edit: I may be misinformed. Sorry, my bad.

Edited by Sinbad (09/11/06 04:42 PM)

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Shambala Buddhism [Re: Sinbad]
    #6050535 - 09/11/06 04:18 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

I used to wear a second hand suit jacket in university
I stopped wearing suit jackets when I saw that all the shambalettes were wearing suits.
now I am wearing them again for fun and extra pockets.
waves of ego and revulsion.
i'm over it.

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

InvisibleSinbad
Living TheMoment
Male

Re: Shambala Buddhism [Re: redgreenvines]
    #6050547 - 09/11/06 04:22 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah, that whole suit wearing thing was hilarious. :lol:
That'll teach all those godamn hippies to integrate!  :mad2:  :tongue:

--------------------

OfflineSo_Shroom_Me
Stranger
    #6050564 - 09/11/06 04:25 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Sinbad said:

Its not in fact a cult, but a Rime (non-sectarian) organisation which accepts teachers and teachings from all traditions, which IMHO is a very good thing.

It's the acceptance of other teachings and traditions that appeals to me.

InvisibleSinbad
Living TheMoment
Male

#6050578 - 09/11/06 04:29 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

This is how it was told to me at the time. But looking at the new websites now i find no mention of other teachers or teachings involved within this organisation anymore. This is rather worrying. :sad:

Better stick to the more recognized Tibetan traditions to air on the side of caution. hmmmm  :confused:

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #6050778 - 09/11/06 05:18 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Go with Bon. Roots rock.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

InvisibleSinbad
Living TheMoment
Male

Re: Shambala Buddhism [Re: Icelander]
    #6050833 - 09/11/06 05:28 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Bon is excellent! Loppon Tenzin Namdak and Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche are both exceptional teachers in the Bon tradition! :grin:

--------------------

OfflineShallie777
Stranger
    #15299853 - 10/30/11 02:56 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I found this post during a search and, being a Shambhala student found the replies to be ridiculously paranoid. Shambhala Buddhism is about as non-cultish as any spiritual path you could possibly find anywhere. Reason One- there are NO FEES to go to a Shambhala Center to learn meditation techniques, which is the main point of Shambhala Buddhism. 2. There is NO PRESSURE to continue taking classes at Shambhala Centers. 3. There is no 'WORSHIP' of any particular deity or guru. Shambhala Buddhism books are written for the sole purpose of helping people discover their true nature or Basic Goodness, as it is referred to. You are welcome to come to open meditation classes at a Shambhala Center for your whole life if you choose to, without getting involved on a more in-depth level, with any of their other programs. The choice to do so is entirely up to you. The people I have met at Shambhala Center in Seattle are some of the kindest, sanest people I have ever met in my whole life and the books I have read by Chogyam Trungpa, who is deceased, and his son and successor, The Sakyong Mipham have been immensely helpful to me, to help me be helpful to society, stay calm and handle the mess the world is in today. I am about half way through Warrior Training, a series of ten weekend workshops and accompanied by weekly classes, which are very inexpensive. You can take them at your own pace. I wish I had started taking them when I was younger because all my relationships with my family and others have improved, because my attitude, perspective and my skills in communicating have all improved and I credit how helpful the teachings are. There is no requirement to renounce other spiritual paths in order to study the teachings. The atmosphere is relaxed and you can leave whenever you want if you feel you have to. People should educate themselves more before posting harsh criticism of things and if they did have a problem they should cite an example of something that actually happened in order to back up what they say. And I would also like to say that when I was younger I took mushrooms and things, and I wasn't ready for them, and Shambhala teachings were just about the only thing that helped me sort out the mess my head was in. So, Peace Out and Rock On- Allison M.

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: Shambala Buddhism [Re: Shallie777]
    #15300713 - 10/30/11 06:46 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Hope you had fun digging through the trash and replying to mostly long gone people and there was, imo, very little negative in this tiny thread.  :satansmoking: Attached much?  Get over it. :lol:

btw Sinbad is one of the very few people who have left that I miss. :sad:  I often wonder what happened to that very cool buddhist dudeist?

Edited by Icelander (10/30/11 07:16 PM)

InvisibleBrainstem
_@_y
Male User Gallery

Loc: In my shell Flag
    #15301587 - 10/30/11 09:45 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Beast, Men and Gods was one of my favorite books a few years back, I even remember watching a documentary following three russian hippy types as they retraced Ossendowski's journey from a Russia gripped by revolution through the wilderness to Mongolia. All they found was desert, must mean they were unworthy :levitate:. Lost Horizon was another, I think that was the influence for
Shangri la.

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: Shambala Buddhism [Re: Brainstem]
    #15302349 - 10/31/11 01:42 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Edited by Icelander (10/31/11 01:55 AM)

InvisibleBrainstem
_@_y
Male User Gallery

Loc: In my shell Flag
    #15311559 - 11/01/11 11:32 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I need to find the pdf versions. :thumbup:

Offlinebrightsphere
Stranger
Re: Shambala Buddhism [Re: Shallie777]
    #16262447 - 05/21/12 11:38 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Shambhala Buddhism is about as non-cultish as any spiritual path you could possibly find anywhere.
Then try spending some time looking at things from the outside  , as I have after 7 years at the "seat of power" in Halifax , the international headquaters ...

Reason One- there are NO FEES to go to a Shambhala Center to learn meditation techniques, which is the main point of Shambhala Buddhism.
Correct...

2. There is NO PRESSURE to continue taking classes at Shambhala Centers.
Maybe not in Seattle...

3. There is no 'WORSHIP' of any particular deity or guru.
Got news for you ... There's a lot of the "old guard " here that still have an unnatural affinity for CTR , even though he's long dead...

Shambhala Buddhism books are written for the sole purpose of helping people discover their true nature or Basic Goodness, as it is referred to. You are welcome to come to open meditation classes at a Shambhala Center for your whole life if you choose to, without getting involved on a more in-depth level, with any of their other programs. The choice to do so is entirely up to you.
This is also true ...to a certain extent

The Greed... The CONSTANT requests for "donations" to support the Sakyong in particular and the Shambhala organization in general...

Obtain a copy of the Sakyongs personal support budget and have a read ... it's eye opening to say the least ...

ask some "heavily indoctrinated" Shambhala followers , especially todays "Dharma Brats" about things found in "normal" Buddhism and see if they can answer you about them...

Basicallly , the way things are now  , unless you complete all the "levels"  , and pay to attend special Scorpion Seal retreats and receive the transmissions from the Sayong , you can't be an "Enlightened Shambhala Buddhist" ...  (in a nutshell)
It's all about money , and "do as I say , not as I do" ...

CTR , while a brilliant speaker (that I will grant) , was also an alcoholic (what eventually killed him), a cocaine abuser ,  and a very active womanizer among other things...
All in the name of Shambhala buddhism ...

To accept CTR and the Sakyong as your sole teachers should be done with the utmost care ...
keep a very open mind and investigate other teachers ...
I would suggest Thich Nhat Hanh for a start ...

All is not what it seems in the land of Shambhala ...

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order