Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Boomr Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinefrontstreet
Stranger
Corn cob experiment
    #603336 - 04/09/02 01:06 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

I put a post up after sterilizing4-5 lbs of corn cob. I was wondering if any cubie would grow on that medium. NO ONE ANSWERED ME!! But that is ok it answered the question for me, it just took a couple of days. Here is what I have done so far...

Tools and ingredients:

1 PF cake
4-5 lbs corn cob
2 glade ware oven bake tubs
2 quart mason jars
2 filter disks
lysol/h2o2

Procedure:

Boil 4 lbs of the corn cob in a pressure cokker for 1 hour at 15 psi. Turn off and let coll until pressuer is normal. Drain the excess water. Put the lid back on. Turn oven on to 150 and wait about 10 minutes to let it heat up. Pull out the middle rack and place the pot on it.
Spray down with lysol or h2o2, wear a breather. Poke many holes in the tops og the gladware. Open the pot and evenly spread about 2-3 inches of cob into the gladware containers, cover with the lids and set on the botton rack of the oven(always on a cookie shet, or else you will melt it). Fill as many mason jars as you can with the left over cob. Place a filter disk on the top of each jar and secure with the outside ring. ***REMINDER*** this whold procedure should try to be done over the oven racks.
Take your one PF cake and throw it into a clean blender. Add 3-4 cups of distilled H2O and blend untill there are no chunks. Take the blender over to the oven and place the 2 gladwares on the midlle rack again. Pour the mycellia water evenly onto both cakes. Then drain the excess water again but not down the drain. Take the filters and rings off the jars. Pour it into 2 mason jars and then those 2 into the next 2 and label accordingly . We don't want to be wastefull. Cap and forget them in a n incubator for about 2 weeks.

My icubator:

2 sterilite containers any size(depends on the size of cakes you want to do)
Submersable fishtank heater 25wtz
about 2 inches of water in the bottom container

It keeps the inside container around 82-87 degrees
I added a little H2O2 to the inside container for sterility and O2.

Observations:
Day1... nothin in any of the jars
Day2... Mycellia colonizing the two big gladware cakes( shook them around to break it up)
Day3... Mycellia growth on one of the mason jars but no new growth on the big cakes
Day4... I actually forgot to poke holes in the lids of the glad ware so I did it now.(maybe this will help for gas exchange)
Day5...More growth on one of the jars no contams yet...
Day6...Mason jar is doin very well one of the larger cakes is covered in cob web and the other hasd no growth. I also did a few tubs of the corn cob and I just checked on those. One seems to be growing wildly, maybe some cob web in there as well as a shit load of mycellia. I shokk the good mason jar around to break up the network.
Day7...GOD DAMN. The jar is moving faster than ever and I still see no contams. Last night I did a few liquid cultures and innoculated them, 6 jars in all. 4 1\4 pint and 2 quart jars. I used a 1:10 corn syrup:water. Placxed it in the microwave for about 5 min or until a lite boil. Stopped the micro and let sit for a minute. Started it back up and let it boil again. Then I shut the mic completely off and let cool. Innoc and put in an incubator.
Day8...The jar is almost fully colonized and does not look contaminated. Although above the water line seems to be a little dark. The mycel water is already starting to show signs of growth and is more prominant in the hawaiin jar.
Day9...The mason jar of cob is about 85% colonized. Still more growth in the mycel water.

That is all the info I have for now I will add more as I get more. Any feedbak is always welcome.

In the future:
If the cakes fully colonize I plan to add them to a wormcasting cake or if it is possible just fruit straight from the cob. use a casing layer maybe coco fiber on top and bottom to case.

Questions:
Why is it taking so long for the large cakes to colonize? They got the majority of the mycellia, right?
If I tipp the containers and see water start to build up in a corner should I drain it off?

Thanks for taking the time to read my post. I havn't grown in a very long time and I just found this site about a month ago. It is the most informative site that I have ever seen. There are some really good growers out there with alot to teach us all.
We learn from eachother and eachothers mistakes. I am not a new grower but very new to this method I have explained above. I have been out of the loop for about 2 or 3 years now. If there is anyone that has used this method or close to this method before please respond with your results and experience.
Peace,
Fronty McNiggs

PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP
I JUST FOUND OUT THAT THE FARMER UP THE STREET FROM ME SELLS COMPOST OF COW AND HORSE MANURE AND STRAW AND SOME SHAVINGS. WOULD THIS BE GOOD TO USE IF I STERILIZED IT? MAYBE ADD WORM CASTINGS?

"We always live in the present but dwell on the past and future, so the present is hard to hold on to." Josh

Edited by frontstreet (04/13/02 06:10 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Corn cob experiment [Re: frontstreet]
    #603841 - 04/09/02 11:41 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

hi...frontstreet

I saw your post awhile back.

I too was interested in this.....I saw a tek on it.
I asked Anno about it...and he said that he had gotten contams.
So i figgured if he did....I would wait awhile to try it out.

Are you having any problems with contams yet ?

I haven't worked with worm casings....so no idea.
That is another yet on my list of things to try.

I do like using horse poo.
The stuff is great!!!!
If you do get the corn cob to fully colonize......maybe spawn it in horse poo.
I think you will like the results.

Coco Coir is ok.....I have used it many times.
I don't use a bottom casing layer of it though.

I can't wait to hear if you can get the corn cob to colonize....without contams.

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Invisiblerebelmoon
enthusiast
Re: Corn cob experiment [Re: Roadkill]
    #604419 - 04/10/02 02:26 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

there was a lot of stuff on the old board (or maybe the old old board? i dont remember) about cob. maybe its on the new board -- do a search. but i think everyone failed who was trying it. they could get the mycelia to grow like mad but then it wouldnt fruit. i cant remember if people tried to use it as spawn or not but im pretty sure everyone who used corncob mycelium slurry (as is was called) failed.

--------------------
"habit is the ballast that chains the dog to its vomit" - s beckett

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Corn cob experiment [Re: rebelmoon]
    #605027 - 04/11/02 05:09 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

rebelmoon,

yes there is some posts on the board and even a Tek on this.

I haven't heard of anyone getting past the contams either.

hopefully there could be a first.

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Offlinefrontstreet
Stranger
    #605367 - 04/11/02 12:14 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

I have added more results to my above post. I have to thankyou all for your support and advice. I will keep you posted.

"I might be crazy but I am in-sane" Josh

Offlinefrontstreet
Stranger
    #605374 - 04/11/02 12:24 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

rebelmoon could you please tell me why the cob didn't fruit or point me to where I can find out. Maybe it was a PH problem or a moisture problem? Anyways anyway you could help me solve this minor problem would be much appreciated.

Peace
Fronty McNiggs

"A mind is a terrible thing to waste sdo when I die grind mine up and smoke it!"Josh

Invisiblerebelmoon
enthusiast
    #614821 - 04/21/02 03:09 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

i think it was an unsurmountable problem -- not enough nutrients in corn cob!

--------------------
"habit is the ballast that chains the dog to its vomit" - s beckett

OfflineSeril
Stranger

Loc: PNW
Re: Corn cob experiment [Re: Roadkill]
    #614894 - 04/21/02 05:14 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

RoadKill, etc.
a friend I know is doing a similar experiment...

he had TWO large tupperware containers, each holding 5 lbs of PASTURIZED
(submerged in water @ 170 deg F) corn cob. NOT STERILIZED!
Both containers were innoculated with PF Equador cakes.
After 2 days, there was noticeable growth, fast growth.
After 5 days, the corn cob began turning into a brick. 1 large brick of mycelium.
After 8 days, my friend scooped a portion of cob into his substrate
(straw/castings.. BULK. 2, 15 gal. tubs. used about 2.5lbs of cob for a 15gal. tub)
After 10 days, the containers of cob looked really healthy. 110% colonization.
After 12 days, one container started to smell funny. he ignored funny smell.
After 13 days, one container showed green spots on the top layer of corn. friend dug deeper to find a HORROR story. he Immediatly ran the contents outside to the dumpster. worst experiance with mycology ever. it was awful.

His 2 Terrariums that used corn from the contaminated batches look and smell OK this far. the contams that struck, struck between day 8 and day 12. friend was overly UN-cautious when he was working with this corn, as he heard it was very contam resistant. he'll be much more careful next time, but for the moment he's sold on CORN COB mycelium for innocluation of bulk substrates, and outdoor beds... when he harnesses this beautiful corn.. it'll be good times~!

if anyone has a good Liquid Culture tek, please PM me.
the one(s) my friend has used in the past have contammed, or done nothing... something not right.. :[

thx~!
-seril

*edit*
the origional 2 tupperware containers of corn went bad around day 13/15.
the cob taken from the origional containers that went bad is STILL GOOD, and doing very well with castings/straw as substrate.

my buddy just cased yesterday. 50\50+ peat/coir+oyster shell.
results in a week or two.

--------------------
Seril,
Political language -true of all political parties- is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give solidity to pure wind..

Edited by Seril (04/21/02 05:22 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Boomr Bag