Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibletinyclanger
Stranger
Female

Loc: UK
Mushrooms everywhere! but I have no clue what any of them are...
    #6031447 - 09/05/06 01:55 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Went for a walk earlier and it seemed like there were mushrooms everywhere I looked!  Wish I’d had a camera on me, or something to collect some of them in, but I only brought back a couple of big juicy liberty caps in the end, so no spore prints sorry.  Here are descriptions of some of the things I saw – I'd love to know what they are, so ID ideas/ whether they sound like edible/poisonous/harmless species etc would be brilliant, especially as I’ve lost my field guide and new one isn’t arriving for about a week :frown:

1.  This one I guessed was a puffball of some kind, but I have no idea about any of them really.
-White, globe-shaped cap on a very thick stem, biggest was the size of a tennis ball, stem almost as wide as the cap.  Looked kind of furry around where the cap joined the stem.  When opened up, gills inside were pale pinkish cream.  Growing in grass in sheep pasture.

2.  –Cap: White, rounded, rubbery flesh, about 8cm across
-Stem:  Same colour and texture, about 20mm thick, with a large veil (about 12mm wide)
-Gills:  Pale pinky brown, unattached
-Habitat:  Growing in grass in sheep pasture.

3.  –Cap:  Huge, flat, almost hand-sized.  Cream fading to pale grey/brown towards the edges, darker in older specimens.
-Stem:  25mm thick at widest point, white, hollow in the centre (about 6mm across), with a large veil about 15mm wide.
-Gills:  Crowded, deep chocolate brown and free.
-Habitat:  Growing in grass in sheep pasture.

4.  This one looked really foul…
-Cap:  Yellow/orange in youngest specimens, up to 10cm across, spongy and flat.  Older ones were dark brown and slimy and oldest ones had rotted down to black puddles of slime…
-Stem:  Red/brown, white at the base, veil remnant visible on one specimen
-Spore-bearing surface:  Spongy, porous, orange/yellow, disintegrating on all the caps I looked at.
-Habitat:  Growing out of moss in Larch woods.

5.  I didn’t look at this very carefully (too busy hunting for liberty caps when I saw it), but wondered what it might be.  Small mushroom, cap about 3cm across and rounded, stem about 5mm thick, and bright, translucent red all over (cap and stem).  Growing under a mountain ash in a grassy field.

If this isn’t enough information then never mind, but even guesses would be great. (Don’t worry, I’m not about to rush out and eat any of them… especially not number 4… eugh)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibletinyclanger
Stranger
Female

Re: Mushrooms everywhere! but I have no clue what any of them are... [Re: tinyclanger]
    #6031615 - 09/05/06 02:30 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Forgot to say - I'm in the UK - Welsh mushrooms

Offlineeris
underground
Male User Gallery

Loc: North East, USA
Trusted Identifier
Re: Mushrooms everywhere! but I have no clue what any of them are... [Re: tinyclanger]
    #6032189 - 09/05/06 04:42 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Best I can really do here is guess..

1. you said you thought it was a puffball, but it had gills? Puffballs don't have gills..

2. Kind of sounds like an Agaricus. The gill color of Agaricus species can be pinkish and the habitat that you described sounds consistent with it. Not a genus to consider eating unless you know what you are doing as there are some poisonous species in it.

3. could be an Agaricus also.. remember it's hard for us to guess with no spore print or pics.

4. sounds like some kind of Bolete. Maybe a Suillus. If it smelled really bad, chances are it was rotting anyways. :shrug:

--------------------
Immortal / Temporarily Retired
The OG Thread Killer
My mushroom hunting gallery

InvisibleAmatoxin
Injected With A Poison

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Not So Great Britain
    #6032236 - 09/05/06 04:59 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

1, 2 & 3 all sound to be some form of Agaricus. There's been loads of them around, a record year for them according to the old timers. My food dehydrators been in overdrive!

4 sounds like it could be the Larch Bolete (Suillus grevillei)

5 sounds like a wax cap (Hygrocybe) - maybe Hygrocybe coccinea although there are a few bright red Hygrocybes in the UK.

Hygrocybe coccinea

--------------------

Sectioned Under The Mental Health Act Sat 20-10-07 to Thurs 01-11-07 for playing TECHNO music

Invisibletinyclanger
Stranger
Female

Re: Mushrooms everywhere! but I have no clue what any of them are... [Re: Amatoxin]
    #6034383 - 09/06/06 07:36 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Thank you! yeah I wondered if 1-3 were different stages of the same thing, especially as they were all found in the same field! (should've mentioned that...) I thought 1 was a puffball cause it looked like what I'd seen people collecting on TV, but I guess it just hadn't opened yet, and the ones that had opened have the veil left over where the cap was joined to the stem... does that sound likely?

Wow, that's an amazing photo! Yeah, it did look like that - really bright colour. I'll look out for more once I've got that guide.

InvisibleAmatoxin
Injected With A Poison

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Not So Great Britain
    #6034912 - 09/06/06 12:17 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

tinyclanger said:
I thought 1 was a puffball cause it looked like what I'd seen people collecting on TV, but I guess it just hadn't opened yet, and the ones that had opened have the veil left over where the cap was joined to the stem... does that sound likely?

Yes, that does sound likely.

What field guide have you ordered? If I were you I'd cancel the order and buy Roger Phillips new book entitled 'Mushrooms', all the UK mycologists are raving about it. I'll be picking up a copy on pay day for sure!  :yesnod:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/o/ASIN/0330442376/ref=s9_asin_image_1/026-8337857-9167616

--------------------

Sectioned Under The Mental Health Act Sat 20-10-07 to Thurs 01-11-07 for playing TECHNO music

Invisibletinyclanger
Stranger
Female

Re: Mushrooms everywhere! but I have no clue what any of them are... [Re: Amatoxin]
    #6035335 - 09/06/06 03:04 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Well that's lucky, that's exactly what i've ordered! (i realise it's more of an encyclopaedia than a field guide - just called it that out of laziness!) only £11.39 on amazon...

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates