Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSurwinMaxawow
TONKA TOY
Male User Gallery

Will plastic melt in a pressure cooker? (Don't have any aluminum foil)
    #6024160 - 09/03/06 04:05 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Does anybody know if its OK to use some kind of plastic wrap material, instead of using aluminum foil to cover the tops of my jars before going into the pressure cooker????

The reason I'm asking is that I currently don't have any aluminum foil handy, and cant get to the store anytime soon also.  Though I need to hurry and pressure cook my ten quart jars of (half filed) rye berries tonight, because my roommate comes back tomorrow and I definitely cannot be doing this project while he is around since he is closed minded about all drugs. He is a very suspicious type of person, and would obviously want to know what I'm doing with all these half filled quart jars of grain and a pressure cooker. 
I highly doubt he would believe I was mearly "canning" some whole rye berries for storage!  Especially given the fact that the jars are all only half filled, which would make no sense at all to most people.  But other than that.....who doesnt just love to CAN wholesome rye berries??? Mmmmmm mmmmmm! (kidding)

By the way, just in case some of you are wondering what the reason of my half filled jars....its so I can shake up the rye grain periodically, which speeds up the growth and spread of mycellium tremendously!  If you have not yet discovered this technique for yourself, you'd be foolish not to use it whenever growing on whole rye berries....unless you dont mind a much longer wait for complete colinization.

Anyways, I'd really appreciate some quick response to what I can use other than aluminum foil.....because it really is important that I cover the lids of my jars with something to prevent too much water from splashing into the jars via the loosly screwed lids, and to protect the taped over holes.

Thanks and happy shrooming!  :smile:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleAnand
AutisticShroomer
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: The netherlands Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Will plastic melt in a pressure cooker? (Don't have any aluminum foil) [Re: SurwinMaxawow]
    #6024183 - 09/03/06 04:27 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

most plastic wraps do not survive pressure cooking

OfflineSurwinMaxawow
TONKA TOY
Male User Gallery

Re: Will plastic melt in a pressure cooker? (Don't have any aluminum foil) [Re: Anand]
    #6024191 - 09/03/06 04:39 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

So any suggestions as to what I could possibly use instead? I need to get this done right now.

Offlinehypermale
TwoSpirits

Loc: Mile High
Re: Will plastic melt in a pressure cooker? (Don't have any aluminum foil) [Re: SurwinMaxawow]
    #6024214 - 09/03/06 05:33 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

These are just ideas and might not work but maybe you could try tar paper, cut up shower curtain (if it melts you may be able to peel it off anyway), vis-queen (SP), plastic grocery bags (may have to peel), plastic circles cut from cottage cheese container, yogurt, etc, cut up milk carton.

--------------------

WTF?

Invisibleodium33
_____///
 User Gallery

Loc: mycoland
Re: Will plastic melt in a pressure cooker? (Don't have any aluminum foil) [Re: hypermale]
    #6024444 - 09/03/06 09:10 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

go to any 24 hour store right now and get tin foil

--------------------
----------

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Will plastic melt in a pressure cooker? (Don't have any aluminum foil) [Re: hypermale]
    #6024451 - 09/03/06 09:17 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

hypermale said:
These are just ideas and might not work but maybe you could try tar paper, cut up shower curtain (if it melts you may be able to peel it off anyway), vis-queen (SP), plastic grocery bags (may have to peel), plastic circles cut from cottage cheese container, yogurt, etc, cut up milk carton.

Sounds like a recipe for disaster! :wink: Just get some foil and do it right guys. You could use Tyvek and rubberbands also.

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

OfflineGruppy
Stranger
    #21495436 - 04/03/15 07:05 AM (8 years, 11 months ago)

YES ...you can use plastic wrap.  I used stretch-tite from Costco. I made a Veal Breast and stuffed it with Stove-top stuffing mix and wrapped with plastic wrap to hold in the stuffing.  Pressure cooked in a Cuisinart electric for one hour at high.  NO PROBLEMS.  I know this answer will not help the original poster, but may answer the question for others who find the post.

InvisibleInocuole
Scalpel of Evil's Bane
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ★
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Will plastic melt in a pressure cooker? (Don't have any aluminum foil) [Re: Gruppy]
    #21495901 - 04/03/15 10:25 AM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Gruppy said:
YES ...you can use plastic wrap.  I used stretch-tite from Costco. I made a Veal Breast and stuffed it with Stove-top stuffing mix and wrapped with plastic wrap to hold in the stuffing.  Pressure cooked in a Cuisinart electric for one hour at high.  NO PROBLEMS.  I know this answer will not help the original poster, but may answer the question for others who find the post.

Nice first post, bumping an 8 year old thread, I can tell we're going to get along great.  Why don't you make a new account and start over so I don't want to kill you every day?

And this is 8 years too late, but fuck you OP for growing while living with someone who doesn't want you to be growing.

This thread has been closed.

Reason: Look at this shit.  Look at it.

--------------------
                            :rainbowdrink: Tea doesn't work?                            AMU  (Q & A)                  Grain prep for Intergalactic Space Oats :pes:     

Coir-ca-cola
Jokes are funny until they're about you

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Injection Grain Bag