Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinethe_pigdog
Myco Master

A small triangle or a large wedge?
    #6021792 - 09/02/06 09:58 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Just wondering i have 5 agar plates still growing, when i go to cut them up should i take a small triangle of the rizomorphic looking mycelian or should a take a large wedge just to ensure i get a fruiting diacurotic strain?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
Re: A small triangle or a large wedge? [Re: the_pigdog]
    #6021800 - 09/02/06 10:00 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

:smile:

tc

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: A small triangle or a large wedge? [Re: Roadkill]
    #6021867 - 09/02/06 10:30 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

It depends on what you're trying to do. Did you want to make further transfers to isolate a strain, or did you simply want to use the dish to inoculate a jar of grain?
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Invisibleshymanta
Mad Scientist
 User Gallery

Re: A small triangle or a large wedge? [Re: Roadkill]
    #6023612 - 09/02/06 11:16 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Roadkill,

Just wondering, your pic show mycelium facing up. Does it make a difference if it is facing down to contact the new agar surface?

Invisiblecreamcorn
mad scientist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: A small triangle or a large wedge? [Re: shymanta]
    #6023642 - 09/02/06 11:31 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

if you're trying to isolate a strain from other substrains, or especially from contamination, its wise to take the smallest wedge possible to either speed up that isolation process (less chance of getting other substrains mixed in) or to reduce the chance of transferring a contam... something the size of a grain of rice.

larger wedges for incoulating grain jars but even still i personally believe its best to not overdo it, use enough to be viable and will break up a bit for a few inoculation points.... and always to use wedges more towards the middle rather than the edges (where bacteria can find their way in sometimes)  and hey at the same time why waste it, it really doesn't take a whole lot and you can store whats left under refrigeration for later :thumbup:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck