Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineCosmicFunGuy
ॐconsciousnessॐ
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ∞
first pleurotus ostreatus grow... a few Q's....
    #6018875 - 09/01/06 02:41 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

first off I'd like to point out that i'm aware some of you will frown on my cheating (seeing how i've successfully cultivated other mushrooms myself), but i bought the growkit from fungi perfecti. I don't want to be a kit grower , my first few outdoor patch of cubes came from a kit, but none of my indoor ones have... and soon I want all my grows to be my own...

My first question is, primordia is just starting to poke through the bag, do i STOP misting at this point?

My other question is can i take a prime specimen from this growbag and follow creamcorns 'LC Cloning' tek to create an LC of these? it worked wonders for saving my thai cubes and the fruits from the LC were WAY better than the originals from multispore... I also have a shiitake bag from fungi perfecti on the way and i want to make an LC with that as well, will that work. The way i figure it is by starting with a culture made from the kits i'll a) have fruits faster than growing from scratch with the kit and b) have a good LC for my first attempt at growing it completely myself so i don't get dissappointed like i was with my original thai cubes..

I'd personally like to thank all of you here for making me love mushrooms, before this year i would only eat morels, cubes, and button mushrooms on pizza. Now, I'm absolutely obsessed with learning everything i can about cultivation and uses of all mushrooms. Reishi is next, after my shiitake so anybody wanting to throw something out there on that subject feel free.

also, does anybody have advice for what to do with trametes versicolor? it grows like wildfire around here and from what i gather has some wonderful medicinal qualities.. (i have a huge selection of home grown and wild herbs to mix with it for a tea if anybody has recipes....)

--------------------

♫ ♪ In the garden of many fields, there is no me or you. There is no right or wrong. There is no up or down. There is no black or white. Everyone is the plow man. Everyone is the seed. Everyone harvests and everyone yields. In the garden of many fields, everyone is one with one love and one love is one with everyone. ♪ ♫
lyrics from: Transglobal Underground - Eyeway Souljah (from Psychic Karaoke)

Edited by tickettothemoon (09/01/06 02:43 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: first pleurotus ostreatus grow... a few Q's.... [Re: CosmicFunGuy]
    #6019086 - 09/01/06 03:40 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

You can keep misting. Oysters don't abort as easily as cubes. They also require more light or they grow all stringy and look like coral.

I would imagine the mycelium that made up your kit has been expanded about as far as it can go. I doubt a clone would do very well due to senescense. When you find a nice outdoor wild oyster, get a clone from it instead.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineCosmicFunGuy
ॐconsciousnessॐ
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ∞
Re: first pleurotus ostreatus grow... a few Q's.... [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6019933 - 09/01/06 07:35 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks RR, your advice is valued as always and they get as much light as the window permits or if the light is on in my work space at night...

If you don't mind my asking how does old mycelium (I assume thats what you're referring to when you say senescence) affect the clone, if the clone is taken from the tissue of the new mushroom grown from the mycelium. I cetainly am no expert, but thats why I ask, I like to have a working knowledge of not only how to do something, but why things are the way they are.

Also, I'm not sure, but I don't think I've seen any oysters growing around here. Mushroom hunting is definately one of my more recently taken up hobbies, but I've not seen anything on our 130 acres that looks remotely close (our land has been scoured by me for mushrooms), nor anywhere else i've been hunting (Michigan woods all over the state coniferous and decidious). Do they grow in these areas or am i just not looking right...

So, seeing as I can't clone from a mushroom off the kit would your next suggestion be to take some prints off of the mushrooms from the kit, make an LC, grow using the LC and clone from there? or is there another method i'm missing...

Would the LC mixture be the same as for cubes?

--------------------

♫ ♪ In the garden of many fields, there is no me or you. There is no right or wrong. There is no up or down. There is no black or white. Everyone is the plow man. Everyone is the seed. Everyone harvests and everyone yields. In the garden of many fields, everyone is one with one love and one love is one with everyone. ♪ ♫
lyrics from: Transglobal Underground - Eyeway Souljah (from Psychic Karaoke)

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: first pleurotus ostreatus grow... a few Q's.... [Re: CosmicFunGuy]
    #6020061 - 09/01/06 08:21 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

tickettothemoon said:
how does old mycelium (I assume thats what you're referring to when you say senescence) affect the clone, if the clone is taken from the tissue of the new mushroom grown from the mycelium.

It's a common mistake to believe the fruits grow from the mycelium. In actuality, the mushroom IS mycelium. The mycelium forms into a fruitbody, but the entire fruit is still mycelium, thus has experienced the same number of cell divisions as what is left behind in the substrate.

Taking a print and isolating a fruiting strain is a great way to learn agar work. The alternative is to obtain a first generation mycelium culture in a test tube. I think FP sells theirs for $100.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale