Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Boomr Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSmaug
 User Gallery
Newb casing success
    #6002182 - 08/27/06 04:19 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

The strain is treasure coast.  It took quite a while for these to pin, they're much smaller than expected, and unfortunately there was a large area of the casing that didn't pin.  There were a lot of things I learned from this, and I am actually quite happy I got even SOMETHING on my first casing attempt.  Now that I've harvested these I need to dunk the casing.  Been looking for a guide to do that too.  I found monstermitch's but couldn't quite understand how it was done.  Anyway, here's my first casing  :rolleyes:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTrippleM
Lunatic
Male User Gallery

Loc: West Virginia (transplant...
Re: Newb casing success [Re: Smaug]
    #6002195 - 08/27/06 04:22 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Dude,

You should be proud! (applause)

Hey, what did you use for a substrate & casing?

Tripple M

--------------------
This is a "role-playing" forum, right?

OfflineSmaug
 User Gallery
Re: Newb casing success [Re: TrippleM]
    #6002206 - 08/27/06 04:26 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

The substrate was WBS which I will surely use again. The casing was not what it should be, I'll put it that way. It was not fine enough and probably didn't hold as much moisture as it should. It wasn't coco coir or fiber, it was coco bark (with vermiculite). Next time I will probably use something that I can actually find at the store. Thank you!

I need to make some more jars this weekend...

OfflineTrippleM
Lunatic
Male User Gallery

Loc: West Virginia (transplant...
    #6002281 - 08/27/06 04:54 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Yea, I've had great success w/ WBS as well (Pennington brand). You can get like 50 pounds for around 10 bucks at WalMart.

Regarding casing, try the 50/50 plus tek (found on this site). It's basically half verm & half peat moss (be sure to pick out the twigs n' stuff) w/ some crushed oyster shell & a little hydrated lime.

"Southern States" agricultural stores have it all (from mason jars to pressure cookers, verm, peat, lime, oyster shell, etc.) Hell, they might as well go ahead and stock spore syringes as well!!!

Happy Shroomin'

Tripple M

--------------------
This is a "role-playing" forum, right?

Invisiblemonstermitch
Growing in Bags Doesn't Work

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Arizona Bay Flag
Re: Newb casing success [Re: TrippleM]
    #6002321 - 08/27/06 05:07 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

the casing one is still lacking for sure.

I have a bunch of pictures waiting for upload limit right now.

I'm trying to get the pics up to show the process.

what do you have for queations?

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Newb casing success [Re: monstermitch]
    #6002375 - 08/27/06 05:23 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

You can put that bowl under the kitchen faucet for a couple of hours with the water running very gently. Let it overflow the container and run down the drain. The running water will prevent any bacteria forming or other contaminants getting a foothold during the dunk. After a couple to three hours, drain the water out, and patch the divots from picking/dunking with fresh casing material, then return to fruiting conditions.
RR
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineSmaug
 User Gallery
Re: Newb casing success [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6002451 - 08/27/06 05:49 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Scratch the dunking process, I just learned something else. My casing is contaminated. I examined the bottom of the bowl and noticed a dark green. Now, near the beginning of the fruiting stage I let way too much water build up in the FC and as a result the bottom of the bowl started to flood. In a desperate attempt to rememdy this I drilled some holes in the bottom. This helped a tad, but it was probably too late by then.

The contam mustve been growing a long time, for when I cut it open to examine the damage, it had made its way a good deal into the center. I cut away the evil in an attempt to salvage what's left of it...my other small casing is the same way. I'm guessing this is a main contributor to my small harvest. I sprayed the remaining casing down with peroxidey water, cleaned out the bowl and FC, and placed it back in the FC.

Please place your starting bets now on the results. Sorry there's no picture, it was a quick operation, I freaked out a little trying to save what took a lot of work to make.

Now I wonder if the fruits are even safe to eat. The contam is green...must be the infamous trich.

OfflineKulTiVater
Comfortably Numb
Male User Gallery

Loc: Wonderland
    #6002630 - 08/27/06 07:07 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

good job man shit looks great hope mine come out that way.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Boomr Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains