Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflinePsiTripper
Male
New to meditation, is this normal....
    #5989975 - 08/23/06 04:36 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Well I just began meditating about 4-5 days ago. The very first time I did it, I felt better. It seems like I feel better each time I do it, and it's something I now look forward to. Right now, I only meditate for 5-15 minutes at a time. For the first time in my life I feel like I have some understanding. I feel like I'm finding the truth that seemed so evasive to me.

Anyway, today I was meditating and I got this strange sensation in my chest area and a feeling of love and warmth. Then I began to feel like part of me was sort of "blended in" with my surroundings, almost like a chameleon or something. It was only a part of me though, mostly my legs and arms. I also got the feeling that my mind was blocked from doing this. I felt excited but also a little scared at the same time. My breathing and heart rate quickened and made the meditation more difficult from there on.

I assume this is just part of becoming part of the Oneness? I'm not quite sure. maybe someone could tell me if it's normal and what it means? It was a little nerve rattling.

--------------------
Music!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDuppyConqueror
headingsomewhere
Male

Loc: My own inner Teahupoo
Re: New to meditation, is this normal.... [Re: PsiTripper]
    #5990322 - 08/23/06 06:22 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

That's entirely normal; happens every time I meditate, particularly after some serious stretching.

Good luck on your path. :laugh:

:mushroom2: :heart: :sun:

OfflineLuNaTiX
Quarterback
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #5990734 - 08/23/06 08:11 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Just roll with it man, feelings like that will come and go, so you should let them come and go naturally  :smirk:

--------------------

Offlineleery11
I Tell You What!

Re: New to meditation, is this normal.... [Re: LuNaTiX]
    #5990778 - 08/23/06 08:25 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

the most important thing about meditation is focus, not experiences though.

if you have the focus experiences will come, but if you get lost in experiences it can impede your progress.

so that's good that you feel something, and it's good to let yourself feel it, but your primary focus should be always fixed to one thing the entire session. either being aware of every single breath you take. or constantly using a mantra, or something else.

then if experiences arise, they arise in RELATION to the you that is simply breathing, or the you that is simply chanting. but you don't want to start chanting til you see pretty colors then forget you are chanting and stop while chasing the colors around.

(i.e. like my salvia experience i had today, i got lost in the chaotic trippiness [because i chose to mess with what i was experiencing rather than trying simply be a person that IS experiencing and is indifferent to experience] instead of maintaining focus on trying to use my energy and then my solid "ego" which was simply my desire to alter energy got lost and replaced with a chaotic tripping ego, leaving the trip ambiguous and such... hard to explain)

--------------------
I am the MacDaddy of Heimlich County, I play it Straight Up Yo!

....I embrace my desire to feel the rhythm, to feel connected enough to step aside and weep like a widow, to feel inspired, to fathom the power, to witness the beauty, to bathe in the fountain, to swing on the spiral of our divinity and still be a human......
Om Namah Shivaya, I tell you What!

Edited by leery11 (08/23/06 08:25 PM)

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: New to meditation, is this normal.... [Re: leery11]
    #5990815 - 08/23/06 08:37 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

keep a diary
but don't make a big deal about the phenomena.
but do take note(s)

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

OfflinePsiTripper
Male
Re: New to meditation, is this normal.... [Re: redgreenvines]
    #5990992 - 08/23/06 09:26 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

ok, thank you all very much for the responses. good to know it's normal. i'll try to keep my focus, but this being my first time experiencing it, it caught me off guard. a diary sounds like a good idea.

--------------------
Music!

OfflinePed
Interested In Your Brain
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada
    #5991041 - 08/23/06 09:41 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah, as the others have been saying, just don't get hooked in.  Then you're set.  When you take time to sit, things start to unravel naturally.  It's good that you are experiencing good results, but the moment you start investing yourself in those good results, they will elude you, and it will be like you're trying to turn around and see the back of our own head.  Just sit 5-15 minutes a day as you've been doing.  Everything else will flow from that without any intervention from you. :heart:

--------------------

:poison: Dark Triangles - New Psychedelic Techno Single - Listen on Soundcloud :poison:
Gyroscope full album available SoundCloud or MySpace

InvisiblethatiAM
Stranger

Re: New to meditation, is this normal.... [Re: Ped]
    #5991442 - 08/24/06 12:24 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

5-15 minutes seems awfully short to me. I suggest gradually increasing time until you are sitting for at least an hour. There is a huge difference between what the mind is doing at 10 minutes and at 60 minutes.

OfflinePsiTripper
Male
Re: New to meditation, is this normal.... [Re: thatiAM]
    #5991566 - 08/24/06 01:46 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

i plan to increase the length of time, i just started out with some very basic meditation exercises. i usually do a 5-15 minute exercise 3-4 times a day, and then also try to center myself throughout the day. for me, at this point, just a couple of minutes can make me feel a lot better. i do hope to advance in this practice though.

--------------------
Music!

InvisiblethatiAM
Stranger

#5992077 - 08/24/06 09:46 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

:thumbup: :smile:

OfflinePed
Interested In Your Brain
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada
    #5994333 - 08/24/06 10:00 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

The length of your sittings will increase naturally; don't concern yourself with it. Sit as long as it's comfortable. Don't think "I should sit longer than this," or "is this session reflective of a good meditator?" Meditation is not an exercise like football or jogging. It is the opposite.

Get up when it's time get up. Sit down when it's time to sit down. Meditation is about learning to stop interfering with your own existence. You will not see results if you are interfering with the natural development of non-interference.

--------------------

:poison: Dark Triangles - New Psychedelic Techno Single - Listen on Soundcloud :poison:
Gyroscope full album available SoundCloud or MySpace

OfflinePsiTripper
Male
Re: New to meditation, is this normal.... [Re: Ped]
    #5994684 - 08/25/06 12:46 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

thank you for that bit of info Ped :laugh:

--------------------
Music!

Jump to top Pages: 1