Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleToolTroll
tourettic
Male User Gallery

Loc: N. Cack
Should I buy this home theater system?
    #5981029 - 08/20/06 08:50 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

I am in the market for a home theater system, but I am poor, so I can't really spend more than a couple hundred bucks. I need a DVD player and some decent speakers, and it should last at least a few years. This is the one I'm looking at: RCA 500-watt system
Does this look like a good product? Of course I would love something louder and bigger, but the funds just aren't there and I need this soon (my DVD player just died). So I think it will sound good, and I will hook up my turntable and CD player to it, and my living room will rock!

--------------------
"This whole idea that different is bad, that a change in consciousness is in itself harmful, is really one of the fundamental problems inherent in the drug war.” - Rick Doblin
my cactus collection
You vote with your dollars. Everyday. Vote responsibly.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

Re: Should I buy this home theater system? [Re: ToolTroll]
    #5981041 - 08/20/06 09:06 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Looks adequate for the needs you describe.

I'd assume it's able to decode Dolby DIgital 5.1, but it doesn't say for certain on the specs at Newegg. DD 5.1 is pretty standard nowadays though so I wouldn't worry.

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

InvisibleToolTroll
tourettic
Male User Gallery

Re: Should I buy this home theater system? [Re: badchad]
    #5981056 - 08/20/06 09:22 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah, adequate is a good word. Not exactly hi-fi or audio bling... :smile:

My stereo has for years consisted of an old Kenwood solid-state receiver/tuner(KR-7400) with two Dynaco speakers, with tweed grills. We are talking pawnshop-old school. These actually sound real sweet together, very warm and balanced. Hooked up to the Kenwood was a Technics 5-CD changer that has been non-working for about a year, so I had therefore been using our $30 DVD player(Entiveo) as the CD player. Well, that surprisingly long-lived DVD player finally fizzled out, so now I am down to a portable CD player, and I have to watch DVD's on my compooter.

Too bad I can't just get a nice Bose system. :frown:

--------------------
"This whole idea that different is bad, that a change in consciousness is in itself harmful, is really one of the fundamental problems inherent in the drug war.” - Rick Doblin
my cactus collection

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

#5981248 - 08/20/06 11:37 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

IMO Bose isn't worth the money.

I have a complete Bose setup and were I to invest again and do it all over, I'd choose a different brand. Their systems are nice and compact, but you can get better sound for your buck.

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

OfflineEarthDroid
Old Crank(Veteran)

#5981266 - 08/20/06 11:43 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

NAD makes good receivers, and cd players. I would look at paradigm for cheap, yet excellent sounding speakers. I personally would avoid bose.

Offlineunbeliever
Yo Daddy!
 User Gallery
Loc: Gallifrey
    #5981528 - 08/20/06 02:02 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

badchad said:

I have a complete Bose setup and were I to invest again and do it all over, I'd choose a different brand. Their systems are nice and compact, but you can get better sound for your buck.

Bose is over-priced audio snake oil.

--------------------
Happiness is a warm gun...

Offlinekindadank
Stranger
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Should I buy this home theater system? [Re: unbeliever]
    #5981601 - 08/20/06 02:41 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Don't get that RCA one.  Onkyo makes good HTIB systems for cheap.  Really good value for the money if you just want to buy everything at once.  I would recommend this one:

http://shoponkyo.com/detail.cfm?productid=HT-S580&modelid=99&group_id=1&detail=1&ext_war=1

It is refurbished and about the same price as the one you posted.  There are many reviews of this system around the web.  It is the HT-S580.  Their refurbished units are just fine too, almost always practically brand new.

And yes, Bose is all hype...  :cool:

Offlinekindadank
Stranger
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Should I buy this home theater system? [Re: kindadank]
    #5981603 - 08/20/06 02:43 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Oh yeah, if you sign up for clubonkyo, you get $10 off the order too.

Here is a link to a review of the system:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009ME4V0/002-6443134-8934422?n=172282

InvisibleToolTroll
tourettic
Male User Gallery

#5981817 - 08/20/06 04:21 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

thanks for the feedback, everyone. kindadank thanks for the links, but that one doesn't have a DVD player with it, which means I would also have to buy a DVD player. Man, so many options, just not enough money...

On a good note, I took apart my Technics 5-disc CD player and dusted it out carefully, and it seems to be working. :smile: I tried that with the cheap DVD player, and it's still messed up. So I definitely need a DVD player.

--------------------
my cactus collection

Offlinekindadank
Stranger
Folding@home Statistics
    #5981984 - 08/20/06 05:29 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah, I noticed that after I posted.  I would advise against buying a home theater system with a dvd player built into it.  My friend had a sony and it crapped out after a while and just stopped reading disks.  Usually the dvd player built into these things really lack quality.

You can get pretty decent dvd players now adays for real cheap.  I would say 40-55 max for a good one.  Here's a very highly recommended one Philips DVP642:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000204...8934422?ie=UTF8

Plays everything, dvd, vcd, divx, pal/ntsc, mp3, and all that jazz.

Anyways, it's a good one and cheap.  Hope this helps.

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
    #5982048 - 08/20/06 06:02 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

badchad said:

Actually you cant. Bose are the best speakers out there.

This isn't opinion either. How about turning your tiny bose system on, and take a dB meter and walk around the entire space, even around corners of the rooms into other rooms and watch how the decibel level stays almost the exact same.
With other systems, there is a sweet "area", and anything outside of that area loses a lot of highs, and high mids... also , Bose does sound the best, has the least coloration of sound and I have yet to hear of anyone returning one for repairs.

InvisibleToolTroll
tourettic
Male User Gallery

#5982062 - 08/20/06 06:08 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah, actually you've been very helpful. Not sure yet what I'm gonna buy, gotta do some more research. I see what you're saying about the DVD/Amplifier units, that's a good point.

--------------------
my cactus collection

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Loc: Pongyang, North Korea
    #5982242 - 08/20/06 07:43 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

build your system component by component, its the way to go, sterios are sooo much fun when you have them all set up and working right.

and yeah, i have a pair of bose 201's amazing speekers, have had them since 98' and they still kick ass.

--------------------
PEACE

:mushroom2:zippoz:mushroom2:

"in times of widespread chaos and confusion, it has been the duty of more advanced human beings - artists, scientists, clowns, and philosophers - to create order. In such times as ours however, when there is too much order, too much m management, too much programming and control, it becomes the duty of superior men and women and women to fling their favorite monkey wrenches into the machinery. To relieve the repression of the human spirit, they must sow doubt and disruption"

"People do it every day, they talk to themselves ... they see themselves as they'd like to be, they don't have the courage you have, to just run with it."

OfflineHUBSonDUBS
Male User Gallery

Re: Should I buy this home theater system? [Re: ZippoZ]
    #5983956 - 08/21/06 02:14 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Look at http://www.onkyousa.com/
They are rated very highly I also purched from them a refurbished unit and bought a $100 DVD player after and am very impressed with the system.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder