Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineAshland
Space Cowboy

Loc: North America
Will we see actual human cyborgs in the near future?
    #5961806 - 08/14/06 04:16 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Please read it straight through, it makes more sense that way :laugh:  This is just a thought I had coming down from coke and frantically reading CNN.

Science is a tool.  Without going into great detail on this statement, please agree with me for the sake of argument that science is only what we can perceive of the universe with our established scientific laws, methods, and whatever technology we have devised.  That being said, science as a tool has enabled us as a human society to achieve a great many things, that otherwise without our advancements would be unattainable.

Okay, good, now to the juicy stuff.  I was reading this article on CNN (http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/science/08/12/worms.nose.reut/index.html) about how Australian scientists are currently researching how earthworms have sensors in their body that can detect scents from great distances.  Well, apparently they have intent to implement this research into developing technology to "build an electronic "cybernose..."  The uses are practically endless, from identifying flavours of wine, to detecting chemicals that make up many 'weapons of mass destruction.'

So then I got to thinking.  Primarily from someone else's post(I'm sorry I don't recall the author or the link) about the feasibility and reality of implanting nanotechnology into the human brain.  That is to say, electronic devices sending signals to and altering the functions of the central nervous system.  One example of this being implemented today, and again I'm sorry that I don't remember the source, is that there has been a successful surgery implanting devices into the nervous system of a patient, and working in tandem with very small and high-resolution cameras attached to a pair of glasses; the previously blind patient was able to see, albeit not a perfect image, but he was indeed able to read large print and could distinguish colors and shades.  I'm not sure of the science behind this, and if anyone else knows more about this specific case, please share :smile:

Now this train of thought led me to thoughts of even more abstract and theoretical predictions.  Suppose that the scientific community can indeed create devices which can detect scents so accurately.  Couple this with the fact that we have begun experimenting with nanotechnology capable of acting on the central nervous system, it seems very feasible to me that in the not too distant future we very may well be witnessing 'cyborgs,' or put more appropriately, human beings with devices implanted into their bodies that directly connect to the nervous system, and may very well enhance our body's 5 senses, or even more theoretically put, allow us to experience senses that previously we were unaware of.

And for what for many people might be most interested in, would be the implementations of this distant technology in altering the brain in such ways that imitate psychedelic experiences.

Granted, this is nothing more than theoretical speculation as to the progress of science and mankind :smile:
-Ashland

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibletruekimbo2
Cya later, friends.
Male User Gallery

Loc: ny Flag
Re: Will we see actual human cyborgs in the near future? [Re: Ashland]
    #5961866 - 08/14/06 05:09 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

close to already here.

as far as cybernetics goes, i spend alot of my time plugged into the computer/speakers/screen of some sort. most poeple spend alot of time plugged into thier car. its just a matter of making them smaller, and there is no doubt that will defintely happen. i was particularly interested in that memory chip they put into a rats brain. i don't have a link or anything but supposedly they've already had some success with coding memories into electronics in lesser animals.

and psychedelic wise i think the level of our music counts as nearly psychedelic. also we have those mind machines like biofeedback and light/sound entrainment devices. can't they also make people experiance random stuff by hitting thier brain with powerful magnets? i know that can do it with direct electrical stimulation.

--------------------
You can check the last post in my journal for contact info.

OfflineAmber_Glow
Sat Chit Anand

#5961924 - 08/14/06 06:28 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

"Human. We used to be exactly like you. Flawed. Weak. Organic. But we evolved to include the synthetic. Now we use both to attain perfection. Your goal should be the same as ours" - Borg Queen

The Borg - the only cool part of Star Trek!

OfflineRedNucleus
Causal Observer
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Seahorse Valley
    #5961947 - 08/14/06 07:00 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

You really were reading frantically. The article makes no mention of smell over large distances.

--------------------
Namaste

OfflineAshland
Space Cowboy

Re: Will we see actual human cyborgs in the near future? [Re: RedNucleus]
    #5963165 - 08/14/06 03:42 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Well that's what the worms use their receptors for, I believe, to smell acutely across relatively (to them) large distances. I was sort of stepping ahead by assuming that if the technology and science behind the idea was sound, that these electronic smelling devices could potentially allow for detection of very minute and distance scents.

And to expand upon this, it seems very possible that if we can implement this technology and technology like this to be compatible with the human body, that humans may very well be composed of electronic parts in the near future, ala the Borg from Star Trek (I hate that show.. but you're right Amber, they are the only cool part ;D) or along the lines of Anarchy Online - if anyone has played that game.

OfflineExoticBlend
Stranger
    #5963269 - 08/14/06 04:11 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

ANyone saw that. It was in the newspaper 4-7 days ago.
HAL “Hybrid Assistive Limb”

Using HAL, someone who could normally lift 220 pounds at a leg-press machine could lift 396 pounds, according to Cyberdyne.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14231181/

--------------------

OfflineAshland
Space Cowboy

Re: Will we see actual human cyborgs in the near future? [Re: ExoticBlend]
    #5963422 - 08/14/06 05:10 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

That robot suit spurs to mind a myriad of possible uses. Anyone play Starcraft? Of course this is just a fictional game, but many of the humans in the game were integrated into combat suits which allowed them to walk, run, hover, sustain damage, and provide life support. (Yeah, maybe I read a little too much into the game ;P)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals