Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineExecutionStyle
Entheo
Male

Loc: Fruiting Chamber
Black mold!?
    #5959205 - 08/13/06 01:32 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Ok just a bit curious here. I remember looking through the contam picture gallery and seeing a WBS cake contamed with some nasty black mold. It was later identified to be super deadly toxic mold.

This brings me to my concern. I just had a contam of some nasty black mold. Upon discovering it I simply looked at it, grabbed some gloves and a mask, and disposed of it. I didn't do anything stupid like sniff it, but I'm wondering: Are most black mold contams, Stachybotrys(the deadly one)? Also, if this does happen again, how easily does the toxin spread through the air? 'Cuz some of my jars have some loose fitting coffee filters serving as a filter for the inoculation holes.

--------------------
"We can only be what we give ourselves the power to be."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineExecutionStyle
Entheo
Male

Re: Black mold!? [Re: ExecutionStyle]
    #5959525 - 08/13/06 03:11 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

ok after reading contam FAQ, I realized it's probably Aspergillus niger. Though I would still appreciate the questions above, answered.

--------------------

OfflineThe_Red_Crayon
Exposer of Truth
Male User Gallery

Loc: Smokey Mtns. TN Flag
    #5959535 - 08/13/06 03:16 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

do you have a picture of the contam?

OfflineExecutionStyle
Entheo
Male

Re: Black mold!? [Re: The_Red_Crayon]
    #5959567 - 08/13/06 03:31 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

No sir, threw it out as quick as possible. I guess theres a chance it wasn't Aspergillus niger, but after looking around it seems to be the likely bet. The best I can give you is a description. It appeared as a black concave dent that was growing down from under the lid. It appeared pretty moist and was growing pretty damned fast considering no other contams have grown in the others and my mycelium has just barely started in the other jars.

I'm just worried because I have some serious asthma and I want to make sure it wasn't likely that I could have inhaled the toxins. With my lungs I probably wouldn't even notice a bronchial infection untill it was pretty bad.

--------------------

OfflineExecutionStyle
Entheo
Male

#5959570 - 08/13/06 03:34 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

OH I should also mention, the black dent that was forming didn't seem to be in patches or spots. IT was just one mass of black horriblness.

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Black mold!? [Re: The_Red_Crayon]
    #5959575 - 08/13/06 03:35 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Most black molds are Mucor, what we commonly call 'black pin mold', but sometimes aspergillus can have a blackish/green look. None are very dangerous unless you inhale vast quantities of spores. These molds are very common in the indoor environment, and that's why they seize our substrates as a source of food.

Often, new growers seem to freak out other new growers with tales of 'deadly molds', so take it with a grain of salt. Just toss them out when you find moldy substrates, but don't get any more worked up by black mold in your jars than you do by the same mold growing on the caulk around your windowsill or bathtub, because that's probably where it came from in the first place, and I don't know of anybody getting killed by taking a bath or looking out the window.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineExecutionStyle
Entheo
Male

Re: Black mold!? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #5959610 - 08/13/06 03:50 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

:laugh: Thanks immensely for the information RR, you have definitley subsided my worries.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate