Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds USA West Coast Strains   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Loc: Earth
Gasoline prices going to climb...yet again.
    #5942351 - 08/07/06 09:34 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

BP: Pipeline closing may last for months
Quote:

ANCHORAGE, Alaska - BP said Monday it discovered corrosion so severe that it will have to replace 16 miles of pipeline at the huge Prudhoe Bay oil field — work that could shut down the nation's single biggest source of domestic crude for months and drive gasoline prices even higher.

Oil prices climbed more than $2 a barrel on the news, and gasoline futures rose, too. The West Coast is expected to be squeezed particularly hard, and the government is considering releasing oil from its emergency stockpile to ease the crunch.

BP PLC said it will have to replace most of the 22 miles of so-called transit pipeline at Prudhoe Bay, which produces about 2.6 percent of the nation's daily supply, or about 400,000 barrels a day.

BP, the world's second-largest oil company, discovered the extent of the corrosion with tests that were ordered by the federal government after a big oil spill last March at Prudhoe Bay, situated above the Arctic Circle, 650 miles north of Anchorage.

The oil company said it was surprised to find such severe corrosion, and had gone 14 years without using a device called a "pig" to clean out its lines because it did not believe it was necessary.

Bob Malone, chairman of BP America, said that in a worst-case scenario, it could take weeks or months to replace the pipelines. But the company said it will try to put portions of the network back into operation as they are repaired.

"BP deeply regrets it has been necessary for us to take this drastic action," Malone said.

BP operates the Prudhoe Bay oil field for itself and for other oil companies, namely ConocoPhillips and ExxonMobil. Prudhoe Bay and other oilfields on Alaska's North Slope feed oil into the 800-mile trans-Alaska pipeline. The North Slope produces approximately 800,000 barrels a day; Prudhoe Bay accounts for half of that.

BP officials said they did not immediately know how much it would cost to replace the lines. The company made $7.3 billion in profit during the most recent quarter.

"We estimate it could take between 2-3 months to get it back on line," Bruce Lanni, an industry analyst with A.G. Edwards, wrote in a research note. "However, there are no assurances that it will return to current capacity, given the complexities and age of the reservoirs. Thus, we would not be surprised to see volume losses in the area of 5 percent to 10 percent."

Steve Marshall, president of BP Alaska Exploration Inc., said tests Friday indicated that there were 16 anomalies in 12 areas in a transit line on the eastern side of Prudhoe Bay. Tests found losses in wall thickness of between 70 percent and 81 percent. Repair or replacement is required if there is more than an 80 percent loss.

BP also said Sunday that workers found a small spill of about four to five barrels.

The aging pipeline system on the North Slope has been fraught with problems lately.

BP discovered corrosion in the transit lines only after the U.S. Transportation Department ordered their inspection following a spill of up to 270,000 gallons in March. It was the biggest spill in North Slope history, and has become part of a criminal investigation into the company's Alaskan operations.

Company officials said they did not believe a routine maintenance "pigging" of those lines was necessary because they carry clean crude from which water has been removed.

Marshall said the company believed ultrasonic testing of pipeline wall thickness was sufficient. But he said the company has since learned otherwise.

"Clearly, we are already in the process of adjusting considerably our corrosion program," Marshall said.

The news sent the price of light, sweet crude oil up 2.22, or 3 percent, to settle at $76.98 a barrel Monday on the New York Mercantile Exchange, after peaking at $77.30 earlier in the day

The average U.S. retail price of a gallon of unleaded, regular gasoline was $3.036 on Monday — near its all-time high of $3.057, reached Sept. 5 after Hurricane Katrina hit the Gulf Coast.

Gasoline futures also rose, indicating that the market expects prices at the pump to increase further.

Because of the disruption of supplies, the Energy Department said it is prepared to provide oil from the government's emergency supplies if a refinery requests it.

"If there is a request for oil we'll certainly take a serious look at that," spokesman Craig Stevens said.

California gets about 20 percent of its oil from Alaska, with the remainder coming from in state and foreign sources.

The reserve has about 700 million barrels in storage on the Gulf Coast to be used in case of a serious supply disruption. The Energy Department in the past has lent some of the oil to refineries when there were disruptions because of pipeline problems or other troubles.

Bill Hedges, BP's technical expert on corrosion, said the Prudhoe Bay pipelines were initially designed to last 25 years, but have now lasted 29 years, with many of the lines in "excellent condition."

The company said it is spending $72 million this year to fight corrosion, up from $60 million last year. BP puts millions of gallons of corrosion inhibitor into the pipelines each year. It also examines pipes via X-rays and ultrasound images.

BP has a 26 percent stake in the Prudhoe Bay field, meaning its own production would be cut by 100,000 barrels a day, or around 2.5 percent of the company's worldwide production, said spokesman David Nicholas. He declined to say what the effect might be on earnings.

U.S. shares of BP PLC fell $1.19, or 1.6 percent, to $71.35 in morning trading on the
New York Stock Exchange. Shares of BP Prudhoe Bay Royalty Trust, which derives revenue from royalties of BP's Prudhoe Bay oil, fell $9.12, or 10.4 percent, to $78.77 on the NYSE.

This is bullcrap. Once the oil companies found out that people will still keep on buying gasoine at around $3 a gallon, who knows how high gas prices will go up with the pipeline closing. Once when it reopens, I highly doubt that it will go down to today's price when the planned reopening(in 2-3 months) happens.

Edited by daussaulit (08/07/06 09:34 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Gasoline prices going to climb...yet again. [Re: daussaulit]
    #5942440 - 08/07/06 10:06 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

lol we will buy gas at anyprice...its essential part of life these days....im just surprized they havn't tried to market gas powered cell phones yet.

--------------------
We were sent to hell for eternity :hellfire: Ø:omgawesome:h®
We play on earth to pass the time :foreheadslap:

Over-population the root of all Evil-brings the Elites Closer to the gates.

Offlinesparks8
general freak
 User Gallery
Loc: Teegeeack
Re: Gasoline prices going to climb...yet again. [Re: makaveli8x8]
    #5942555 - 08/07/06 10:54 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

yea somehow i bet they will end up making more money by closing this pipeline then if it woulda stayed open.

--------------------
buy the ticket, take the ride

Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Gasoline prices going to climb...yet again. [Re: sparks8]
    #5942574 - 08/07/06 11:01 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

think about it, they sell someone elses oil at $3.20 today, and tomorrow they still have there's to sell for $5

--------------------
We were sent to hell for eternity :hellfire: Ø:omgawesome:h®
We play on earth to pass the time :foreheadslap:

Over-population the root of all Evil-brings the Elites Closer to the gates.

OfflineRosettaStoned
Stranger

Loc: North America
Re: Gasoline prices going to climb...yet again. [Re: makaveli8x8]
    #5943062 - 08/08/06 01:56 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

$5 very, very soon. Under 2yrs.

--------------------
"Government big enough to provide you with all you need is also big enough to take everything you have." ~ Thomas Jefferson

"Without stupid, faggy potheads we wouldn't have wars." - Zappa

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
    #5943653 - 08/08/06 10:43 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Wow...GREAT timing on this one...right when the 2006 hurricane season is about to get into high gear :rolleyes:

They couldn't do this during the winter, when demand is at a low???

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

OfflinexDuckYouSuckerx
xBannedx
 User Gallery

Re: Gasoline prices going to climb...yet again. [Re: trendal]
    #5943751 - 08/08/06 11:16 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Hahaha, as much as I dislike conspiracy "theories", you do have to wonder. Gas prices are the same in my AO today as they were Friday, unknown when the "rise" will occur. I've heard (hysterical, ignorant) rumors about gas being $5 per gallon by Christmas. Amazing how fragile our entire system is.

--------------------
Unions are the bastions of the mediocre. - luvdemshrooms

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
    #5943800 - 08/08/06 11:31 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Goddammit. I wish I could afford a hybrid.

--------------------

OfflineSirTripAlot
Semper Fidelis
Male User Gallery

Loc: Harmless (Mostly)
Re: Gasoline prices going to climb...yet again. [Re: Silversoul]
    #5944227 - 08/08/06 01:42 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Try owning a truck with a 33 gallon tank (costs about $108 to fill up).....I bought my vehicle when gas was 1.69 a gallon, had no idea that gas prices would nearly triple in 4 years time.......

--------------------
“I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”

InvisibleHank, FTW
Looking for the Answer

Re: Gasoline prices going to climb...yet again. [Re: SirTripAlot]
    #5944246 - 08/08/06 01:49 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Dodge Neon FTW! costs me around 40$ to fill....but the tank is small. Still gets me a pretty good distance for such a small tank. I bought my car 2 months ago, so I knew gas was going to be an issue.

--------------------
Capliberty:

"I'll blow the hinges off your freakin doors with my trips, level 5 been there, I personally like x, bud, acid and shroom oj, altogether, do that combination, and you'll meet some morbid figures, lol
Hell yeah I push the limits and hell yeah thats fucking cool, dope, bad ass and all that, I'm not changing shit, I'm cutting to to the chase and giving u shroom experience report. Real trippers aren't afraid to go beyond there comfort zone "

:rofl:

Invisiblebuckwheat
Cynically Insane

Loc: Not Enough Characters to ...
Re: Gasoline prices going to climb...yet again. [Re: SirTripAlot]
    #5944297 - 08/08/06 02:12 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Im "downgrading" to a Jetta tdi gets 50mpg or something like that.

But then ill be driving a Jetta :gayflag:

InvisibleAdden
I'm a teapot
Loc: Flag
Re: Gasoline prices going to climb...yet again. [Re: Hank, FTW]
    #5945791 - 08/08/06 09:26 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

alpharedecho said:
Dodge Neon FTW!

My gas mileage is amazing, I love this vehicle. Thankfully they changed the body type... ew @ older models.

InvisibleHank, FTW
Looking for the Answer

Re: Gasoline prices going to climb...yet again. [Re: Adden]
    #5946935 - 08/09/06 10:10 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

What year you got? Mines a 97 sport edition. I kind of wish it wasn't the sport model though, less horse power = less gas usage. Or that's my understanding anyway.

--------------------
Capliberty:

"I'll blow the hinges off your freakin doors with my trips, level 5 been there, I personally like x, bud, acid and shroom oj, altogether, do that combination, and you'll meet some morbid figures, lol
Hell yeah I push the limits and hell yeah thats fucking cool, dope, bad ass and all that, I'm not changing shit, I'm cutting to to the chase and giving u shroom experience report. Real trippers aren't afraid to go beyond there comfort zone "

:rofl:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds USA West Coast Strains   North Spore Bulk Substrate